MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueII View Post
    I mean not really, with SEA they werent like "Guys look at this puzzle we coded" every two days when they completed something else on the game.
    Every two days? No, that's excessive. But with SEA (and all the other games as far back as I can remember) we would frequently get sneak peeks and teasings several months before the game was set to be released. For LIE, I remember LJ posted pictures of the characters' shoes. For SEA they showed the wood texture that's part of the game box. LJ would post on the ASB about how she was gathering things for the trailer or preparing the strategy guide or playing through the game to work out the kinks. The weekend puzzles would frequently have to do with the game that was set to come out next. There were efforts made to excite interest in the upcoming game and keep us in the loop, without fear of spoiling anything or leaking crucial information.

No one here is asking for the company to give us a detailed play-by-play of what they're doing. We just want small updates here and there, that really isn't a lot to ask when they've done it for so many games in the past. They don't even have to say what they're doing, as far as I'm concerned. If LJ were to write on the ASB, "This week was a very busy one at the office, several advancements were made on MID!" I'd be perfectly content. What frustrates us is that we have no idea what they're doing, and what we do know they've done gives us no indication that MID has been worked on since 2015. So far we've gotten preliminary concept art about two months ago, basic character descriptions that really didn't give much away, and an unpolished summary. All these things could very plausibly have been completed just in MID's pre-planning stages, before SEA was even released. And now with these emails that apparently state MID may not come til 2018? I don't even know.

All I want is continued reassurance that MID is the #1 priority, and there's just nothing at the moment to prove that it is.
    a . broken . heart . to . lie . forever
    ¸·*¨¯¨*·¸...under tattered sails and 'neath ..¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
    ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸(.....`·-·`...............a . blackened . sky ..............`·-·`.....)¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
    `·-·`.......` · . ¸ _)¯¨ * · . ¸ _ ¸ . · ` · . ¸ _ ¸ . · ` · . ¸ _ , . · * ¨¯(_ ¸ . · `.......`·-·`

Currently playing: Danger on Deception Island
    Currently reading: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin...(Plus college textbooks. Noooo!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post
      stopped following HER on Facebook and Twitter because most of what they were posting was just annoying anyway. But the way they are handling upset fans is just poor customer service and not at all the way to handle a business. Frankly, I don't know what they're up to but I can tell you it's not good.
      I think not following Her on Facebook and Twitter is a good way of making a statement, albeit a quiet one. I will be doing the same. Perhaps if their number of followers dropped significantly, they might realize that this is not at all the way to handle a business and that a lot of their prior fan base just doesn't care anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by actress19 View Post
        Every two days? No, that's excessive. But with SEA (and all the other games as far back as I can remember) we would frequently get sneak peeks and teasings several months before the game was set to be released. For LIE, I remember LJ posted pictures of the characters' shoes. For SEA they showed the wood texture that's part of the game box. LJ would post on the ASB about how she was gathering things for the trailer or preparing the strategy guide or playing through the game to work out the kinks. The weekend puzzles would frequently have to do with the game that was set to come out next. There were efforts made to excite interest in the upcoming game and keep us in the loop, without fear of spoiling anything or leaking crucial information.

No one here is asking for the company to give us a detailed play-by-play of what they're doing. We just want small updates here and there, that really isn't a lot to ask when they've done it for so many games in the past. They don't even have to say what they're doing, as far as I'm concerned. If LJ were to write on the ASB, "This week was a very busy one at the office, several advancements were made on MID!" I'd be perfectly content. What frustrates us is that we have no idea what they're doing, and what we do know they've done gives us no indication that MID has been worked on since 2015. So far we've gotten preliminary concept art about two months ago, basic character descriptions that really didn't give much away, and an unpolished summary. All these things could very plausibly have been completed just in MID's pre-planning stages, before SEA was even released. And now with these emails that apparently state MID may not come til 2018? I don't even know.

All I want is continued reassurance that MID is the #1 priority, and there's just nothing at the moment to prove that it is.
        Absolutely nailed it on the head.

Also, to echo Tedbear2's comment above, I've asked several people who have worked with Unity and all have assured me there is not a monstrous learning curve on it, particularly not for a company that has game making experience.

~Ari
        Proud Member of the CRE Easter Egg Clue Crew!
        Along with Royal Payne, disneygirl12, Ndfan1234, mdetective12, secretariat, highondrew and Vanilla Muffin!

~Ari

Comment

• Originally posted by actress19 View Post
          Didn't they confirm the opposite in their October letter? Something along the lines of "Our immediate attention has been on C&C".

I feel like them putting the product page up reassures me that they are planning on releasing MID. However, based on everything else, it's hard to say if they've even been working on it yet. But they do plan for it.

Originally posted by Arianna12 View Post
          Absolutely nailed it on the head.

Also, to echo Tedbear2's comment above, I've asked several people who have worked with Unity and all have assured me there is not a monstrous learning curve on it, particularly not for a company that has game making experience.

~Ari
          Considering the rumour is they laid off all their staff, I would hope they would have hired people with Unity experience too.

Comment

I mean not really, with SEA they werent like "Guys look at this puzzle we coded" every two days when they completed something else on the game.
            Yeah but SEA was also released on time. Their problem here is they've gone 18 months without being upfront about the delay when we were spoiled to an every 6 month schedule.

I've said before, but truly I have an immense amount of patience for this stuff. I play lots of games and read lots of books where there are years between installments. The wait itself is not the issue. Their handling of the wait is the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tedbear2 View Post
              I think not following Her on Facebook and Twitter is a good way of making a statement, albeit a quiet one. I will be doing the same. Perhaps if their number of followers dropped significantly, they might realize that this is not at all the way to handle a business and that a lot of their prior fan base just doesn't care anymore.
              Yeah I still follow them on Twitter but I just recently unliked their Facebook page because of all of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsSleuth View Post
                Considering the rumour is they laid off all their staff, I would hope they would have hired people with Unity experience too.
                The staff was experienced in Unity, but they laid everyone off anyway because they had no intention of making the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post
                  But the way they are handling upset fans is just poor customer service and not at all the way to handle a business. Frankly, I don't know what they're up to but I can tell you it's not good.
                  That's much what I've been feeling since the firing of Lani. Or as sggoren says in post 455, it's not the wait but the way they've handled it.

I would add that Punchy, in post 446, quotes: "we have been as transparent as possible at this point and have shared everything we can" -- and these are terms suggesting (to me) only a legal constraint. Else they would say they don't think it's appropriate, or they've decided not to be more transparent, it's policy, or whatever. Instead, they can't. As in "not permitted." I don't like to speculate and have tried to refrain from doing so but I simply don't see any other explanation. Obviously they don't want to alienate their fanbase. Somehow they must have no choice.

If I lived on the West Coast I'd know by now if this theory has any merit, since I prowl around in court records quite a bit :) but as it is, such sleuthing must be left to someone else.

In any case, "as transparent as possible" translates in practice to "stone wall transparent."

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix star View Post
                    The staff was experienced in Unity, but they laid everyone off anyway because they had no intention of making the game.
                    What proof do you have that that was the only reason for laying them off, that they were all fore sure laid off and not quit like Katie, and that they did have experience?
                    I fully believe this game will come out since they added the game page.

Comment

What proof do you have that that was the only reason for laying them off, that they were all fore sure laid off and not quit like Katie, and that they did have experience?
                      Tim Burke had experience in Unity and had been at the company since the beginning basically, he designed the interface ect and I know for a fact after speaking to him that he didn't quit. Made no sense to lay him off or any of the other people who worked on MID.

Comment

There was an article by geekwire about it where they had a confirmation from HER regarding the layoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by nancycluedrew View Post
                          There was an article by geekwire about it where they had a confirmation from HER regarding the layoffs.
                          And of course it's just a coincidence that this all occurred after the new CEO came on board.

I was thinking yesterday that if none of this had happened, we would almost certainly be playing the just-released Nancy Drew #35 right now. There would be MID plus two more games.
                          Last edited by Tedbear2; October 25, 2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nancycluedrew View Post
                            I haven't previously read the Geekwire article and just did so now, and two things caught my attention.

1. The guy they quoted DID say about shifting priorities. That does not bode well for the Adventure game series methinks, because if it was just changing to focus on BOTH mobile and adventure games, I don't know why they wouldn't just say that.

2. Considering Ms. Milliken has a. been onboard at HER since 2003 (circa The Haunted Carousel) and b. has a background in marketing, this company's marketing of both itself and the games, particularly the C&C show on Youtube, has been absolutely in the dustbin and not what I'd expect of someone with a background in that field. I know people who work in marketing, and have taken classes that include a focus on marketing and this is not how you do it.

However, her quote about bringing games out quickly did make me chuckle.

~Ari
                            Proud Member of the CRE Easter Egg Clue Crew!
                            Along with Royal Payne, disneygirl12, Ndfan1234, mdetective12, secretariat, highondrew and Vanilla Muffin!

~Ari

Comment

• Originally posted by getaclue912 View Post
                              I just think comparing a teaser for SOS and the work done on MID so far is comparing apples to oranges.
                              They had more than just a teaser for SOS though, there was fully-completed art before they scrapped it. I originally saw the art on a Russian fansite (I guess they found it in the game files for RED, or something?) but there are youtube videos of it and stuff. So it is possible and it has happened before that HeR does a significant amount of work on a game and then never releases it. Although obviously I hope that's not the case here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
                                Tim Burke had experience in Unity and had been at the company since the beginning basically, he designed the interface ect and I know for a fact after speaking to him that he didn't quit. Made no sense to lay him off or any of the other people who worked on MID.
                                How did you talk to him? Also, I am surprised he was legally allowed to talk to you about being laid off and his unity experience

Comment

Working...
                                X