No announcement yet.

MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't been on the boards much, just to see if there is any news, but I did want to throw out a question/theory.

With Nancy being voiced by someone new & the game being made with a new engine, why aren't they doing a "reboot" of sorts for the series? They could completely change the next game, abandon the "Midnight in Salem" story line and start over with Nancy's origin story. It just seems like we are expecting another Nancy Drew like what we are used to, and with a new voice actor, it will never REALLY be the same. But maybe it's time to start a new timeline. (bye bye sonny & koko kringles)
    So why or why not? Would this be a welcome change or would the fan base completely dissipate?

(And If they are sticking with MID, I wouldn't expect it until next Fall)
    Kaity
    "All that is Gold does not glitter,
    Not all who wander are l o s t."
    ©MysteryBook; from The Fellowship of the Ring

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaitydid2014 View Post
      I haven't been on the boards much, just to see if there is any news, but I did want to throw out a question/theory.

With Nancy being voiced by someone new & the game being made with a new engine, why aren't they doing a "reboot" of sorts for the series? They could completely change the next game, abandon the "Midnight in Salem" story line and start over with Nancy's origin story. It just seems like we are expecting another Nancy Drew like what we are used to, and with a new voice actor, it will never REALLY be the same. But maybe it's time to start a new timeline. (bye bye sonny & koko kringles)
      So why or why not? Would this be a welcome change or would the fan base completely dissipate?

Kaity
      Lani said that HeR had said they wanted to do the new direction after MID, but she decided not to do MID and stopped voicing Nancy immediately. Also LJ said on the blog they have not started working on the game post-MID at all (and normally they would be working on several games at once).

So a reboot after MID seems a definite possibility. It could alienate old fans, but maybe get new ones on board (like the books)

I guess HeR had the script done (before the new CEO), so they just went with it.

I agree with next fall release.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaitydid2014 View Post
        I haven't been on the boards much, just to see if there is any news, but I did want to throw out a question/theory.

Kaity
        Would not be surprised if after MID, they reboot. In the new Nancy Drew books (Nancy Drew Diaries), Nancy is younger and back in high school. So if HER rebooted and made Nancy younger, I wouldn't be shocked by that. I would walk away from the series as I'm feeling I'm much too old for a really young Nancy, and prefer that Nancy is able to travel on her own, and is an adult.

Comment

• What exactly would constitute a "reboot" on top of changing Nancy's voice and switching to Unity? That makes me think of changing the gameplay entirely, like if they were to make them like the Nancy Drew Dossier games.

Comment

• I think gearing the games towards a younger audience would be very unwise. Rebranding is extremely difficult nowadays because the game market is already very saturated. And honestly I see zero interest in adventure games from the younger crowd. I could be wrong, I would be very excited if I were wrong but that's my experience.
            I could definitely more see them going completely different route. Like the dossier games or something similar. Although, again, I think it would be very difficult to find a completely new crowd for these games. Unless they go mobile-only? If that's the case, they should've given up on MID. Either way HER's actions are still puzzling to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix star View Post
              What exactly would constitute a "reboot" on top of changing Nancy's voice and switching to Unity? That makes me think of changing the gameplay entirely, like if they were to make them like the Nancy Drew Dossier games.
              Well, from the video they post of LIE in unity, it looks like the gameplay will change as well. But I'm thinking Nancy being younger maybe? maybe rebooting her story? I'm not saying it will happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised if HER went down that path after MID.

Comment

• Well I mean it could still be an adventure game with the same formula even if Nancy can freely walk around the environment. That's not changing the gameplay too drastically. That's what would keep it as the same series in my opinion, even if they changed Nancy's backstory.

Originally posted by cathwaitress View Post
                I could definitely more see them going completely different route. Like the dossier games or something similar. Although, again, I think it would be very difficult to find a completely new crowd for these games. Unless they go mobile-only? If that's the case, they should've given up on MID. Either way HER's actions are still puzzling to me.
                They do seem to be very focused on mobile, and are discontinuing physical copies of the games more and more...Yes, the more I think about it, I think they are just trying to get MID out since it was already written and have very different plans going forward beyond it. And this is one mystery I don't like being kept out of.

Comment

• Reboot in a gaming sense basically means refreshing the storyline and elements of the game and usually occurs when a series hasn't released a new game for a while. So lets see New Game Engine, New Voice Actress, probably new interface, game play will be at least slightly different due to new Engine. Only real thing we have left from the past is the story-line now if they disregard everything that has happened in the last 32 games then yeah its a reboot the fact that its considered game 33 suggests not. Its more of a makeover than a full reboot in my opinion.

Comment

• The hope and optimism on the interwebs is dying down. I happened to play a Unity-like first person game today, and hoo boy. 5 minutes in I was nauseated and had to quit. Now I'm even more worried about MID, if it ever comes out. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by sggoren View Post
                      The hope and optimism on the interwebs is dying down. I happened to play a Unity-like first person game today, and hoo boy. 5 minutes in I was nauseated and had to quit. Now I'm even more worried about MID, if it ever comes out. :(
                      Don't worry, I'm sure it will come out next year.

Comment

• Saw a press release that says HER is teaming up with Bellevue Chamber of Commerce to give the Codes & Clues app to pre-schoolers. Wish there was more focus on the MID game.

Comment

• Originally posted by nancycluedrew View Post
                          Saw a press release that says HER is teaming up with Bellevue Chamber of Commerce to give the Codes & Clues app to pre-schoolers. Wish there was more focus on the MID game.
                          Yup you're absolutely right. Not one but two new press releases for Dec and neither mention MID. I don't know why I'm even surprised anymore.
                          ²iLoVeNaNcYDrEw²

Comment

• Don't want to be overly negative but am I the only one is struggling to see how MID is going to release in the next 6 months or so

Comment

• Honestly, the fact that there is still no release date, no page updates, and zero mention of the game in recent social media posts, I highly doubt it's coming out this spring. Maybe next fall, but I fear I'm losing hope at this point...they're going to lose a lot of loyal customers if they don't keep the excitement up somehow. I, myself, haven't been on these message boards since a little after SEA came out.
                              Eustacia: "Nancy Drew. The snoopy one. You are not dead yet?"
                              Nancy: "Uh, no."
                              Eustacia: "Most people, I talk to them one day, next day they are dead. It is an old age thing."
                              --(Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake)
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "...I'm about to be tossed, totally on my own, into a world of bright, privileged, clique-conscious teenage girls. This could be my scariest case yet." --Nancy Drew (Warnings at Waverly Academy)
                              "Oh please, the man barely knows where his head is. If he's the one that finds that mine, I'll eat my laptop." --Charleena Purcell (Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon)
                              "Get a job phone charm!" --Yumi (Shadow at the Water's Edge)

My original petition for Egypt!

Comment

• Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
                                Don't want to be overly negative but am I the only one is struggling to see how MID is going to release in the next 6 months or so
                                Nope. The fact that the head of their marketing team has admitted being busy due to working on lots of C&C projects, plus the two press releases about C&C for December, along with no "new" news on MID (since all the released info was from 2015), does not make me confident we'll see MID in Q1/Q2 2017. :/
                                a . broken . heart . to . lie . forever
                                ¸·*¨¯¨*·¸...under tattered sails and 'neath ..¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
                                ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸(.....`·-·`...............a . blackened . sky ..............`·-·`.....)¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
                                `·-·`.......` · . ¸ _)¯¨ * · . ¸ _ ¸ . · ` · . ¸ _ ¸ . · ` · . ¸ _ , . · * ¨¯(_ ¸ . · `.......`·-·`

Currently playing: Danger on Deception Island
                                Currently reading: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin...(Plus college textbooks. Noooo!)

Comment

Working...
                                X