No announcement yet.

MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MID would be awesome as a virtual reality game! Even if it's just exploring the town and the house. :)

LJ confirmed on her blog today that parts of MID were outsourced and emphasised that HeR are only a small company. I can't wait to see how all the parts come together for this game!
    "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

• Originally posted by BELIEBER ♥ View Post
      I've been periodically popping on, with random months as breaks to check the status of this game and im appalled, to put it bluntly.

I'm annoyed at the lack of consideration they are giving to their fanbase in this matter.

All they have to say is: "Look, we are outsourcing it and we aren't recieving as many updates as we would like, but please check with us with any questions you may have" or something along those lines instead of Her scrolling past our questions.

Anywho, I came back with an update posted to the Facebook comment as of (today) so at least some fan got a response:
      "Hi ______ - While we don't have a release date we continue to work and make progress on Nancy Drew:Midnight in Salem. Stay tuned and stay sleuthy!"

..... I do not believe that they would string along an immaginary game for this long and still feed their fans this lie. I don't they have kicked the bucket yet, but with their lack of updates...the fans might just send them over the edge by the lost trust of game security. I simply believe that they outsourced to an unreliable or out-of-touch company ... and they just dont HAVE anything to give the fans.

Maybe 2017 will be the year, seeing as almost 2 years is plenty of time for a game considering Her used to crank out two a year...

-- Holly

Couldn't have said it better Holly. Get on with it HER... We've waited long enough!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stefabeth View Post
        And for those who think "they don't owe you anything", think again. If they want my money, they will have to earn it. Not with the final product, but with more transparency. I don't trust HER anymore. Please, help me trust you!
        Yes, this point exactly. I understand a company is allowed to do what it wants with its business. But considering the majority of their client base are long-time fans, I'd think the best practice would be to appease those people (from a business stand point). The only thing I can think of, and I think others have pointed it out here, is that they simply just do not know. That way, they don't have to apologize if they give us an estimated dated and it goes past it (as it's happened before).

In the mean time, I've just been replaying all the games! It's always been a goal of mine to replay all the games before a new release. For the first time, I think that may happen. Bright side? Silver lining? Bueller? (I'm trying to remain positive!)

I also wanted to add (to remain on topic) that I actually went to Salem in November and I'm personally really excited to see it in the game and how accurate the lay out is. If anyone has the chance to go, I highly recommend it. It has the feel of a small town and the history is everywhere. You really do feel like you've gone back in time.
        Last edited by Kimi/Clover; January 29, 2017, 07:48 AM.
        Eustacia: "Nancy Drew. The snoopy one. You are not dead yet?"
        Nancy: "Uh, no."
        Eustacia: "Most people, I talk to them one day, next day they are dead. It is an old age thing."
        --(Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake)
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "...I'm about to be tossed, totally on my own, into a world of bright, privileged, clique-conscious teenage girls. This could be my scariest case yet." --Nancy Drew (Warnings at Waverly Academy)
        "Oh please, the man barely knows where his head is. If he's the one that finds that mine, I'll eat my laptop." --Charleena Purcell (Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon)
        "Get a job phone charm!" --Yumi (Shadow at the Water's Edge)

My original petition for Egypt!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kimi/Clover View Post
          Yes, this point exactly. I understand a company is allowed to do what it wants with its business. But considering the majority of their client base are long-time fans, you'd think they'd do their best to appease those people (from a business stand point). The only thing I can think of, and I think others have pointed it out here, is that they simply just do not know. I don't think they have an estimated release date even amongst themselves. That way, they don't have to apologize if they give us an estimated dated and it goes past it (as it's happened before). And the fact that over two years past they still aren't sure when they'll release? I don't really know what to say about that.

In the mean time, I've just been replaying all the games! It's always been a goal of mine to replay all the games before a new release. For the first time, I think that may happen. Bright side? Silver lining? Bueller? (I'm trying to remain positive!)
          They really need to make a comprehensive announcement rather than dropping these tidbits in random comment replies. I've drafted examples before. It's really not that hard. It's like they have zero confidence in their direction right now.

Just come out and say it like you *are* confident and know what you're doing. The silence and mystery is probably one of the worst company decisions I've seen.

"Dear Sleuths,

We thank you for waiting patiently for an update on MID. Due to X, Y and Z factors, we are taking longer than we originally anticipated. We have outsourced the game, which is very common for companies switching from a proprietary engine since we want the experts in unity coding the new games (insert some other reasons here).

Part of the outsourcing process is a lot of back-and-forth feedback. While our new team learns the Nancy Drew lore and charm you've all grown to know and love, it takes a little extra time to ensure the new game will be up to your standards while also offering a more expansive environment. Our old games offered an average of 5 places to visit, but MID will now have over 20! (insert other *exciting* plans here).

We hope you can see that MID will be worth the wait. Since this is a new process for all of us, we cannot say with certainty when MID will be released, and the last thing we want to do is disappoint our fans with a failed deadline. But we can tell you we are about 50% done and our pace is quickening as our team becomes more fluent.

(We will now be releasing a monthly newsletter to keep you updated on the little details. For example, in January, our team was able to model 3 new environment with state of the art lighting generation. MID will be the most realistic looking game yet!)

Sincerely,

HeR Interactive"

Just steal that, make some edits, and slap it up on your site. I won't even charge you, HeR.

Comment

• Sggoren, that. Is. Perfect. If HeR would do that I could definitely start getting super excited again. Or at least a cautious excitement. I do not want to get my hopes dashed upon the rocks again.
            "Take a word and say itfifty times in a row and eventually you'll be like: What's that sound I'm making? What's it mean? Why don't I speak my own language? Why did I borrow this one?" Sonny in MED

Comment

• Originally posted by ND/AliceRoyLvr View Post
              Sggoren, that. Is. Perfect. If HeR would do that I could definitely start getting super excited again. Or at least a cautious excitement. I do not want to get my hopes dashed upon the rocks again.
              I agree, Sggoren, that is incredibly well-written. If only, huh?

Honestly, I'd be happy with just so much as an effort to communicate. Seriously. They see how upset fans are becoming and they stay silent? Can they not even try to let us know they're listening or doing absolutely anything at all with the games?

I feel like I don't even know when they're having "contests" anymore. Right now I've seen a lot of valentines pop up on Facebook so I think they are having a valentine's contest but...I have no idea when that was announced or what the prize is. I know that they were having some kind of Koko Kringle thing where they gave a bar to the first 500 game orders sometime, but as badly as I'd love a Koko Kringle (I got one once but never ate it, wanting to save it ) I'm really not interested in buying something from them just to get it. In the past I might have purchased like RED or something since I haven't really played the Dossier games but now it hardly seems worth the effort.

^ And with that last sentiment I realize that they've turned a die hard fan like myself, purchaser of the games for 15 years (would have been 17 if they released MID!) into a totally apathetic individual. I'm not the only one. So, great job HER.........
              Last edited by Sr.D; January 31, 2017, 02:38 PM. Reason: off-topic info removed

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
              And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
              ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
              ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
              ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
              ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

• LJ Posted an interesting thing about MID on the AS blog recently - http://www.herinteractive.com/2017/0...c-outsourcing/

Also, I would like to point out that contrary to HER's belief (I am absolutely NOT calling out LJ for this in any way) that using an external composer OR VAs does absolutely NOT count as outsourcing. VAs are almost never tied to a single company, same with composers. They usually work as artists for hire, or freelance, etc. there's many different technical/tax classifications of it. Trying to make it seem like this has been previous "outsourcing" is very deceptive.

On the other hand, I am interested to learn that there were art and design elements that were outsourced.

~Ari
                Proud Member of the CRE Easter Egg Clue Crew!
                Along with Royal Payne, disneygirl12, Ndfan1234, mdetective12, secretariat, highondrew and Vanilla Muffin!

~Ari

Comment

• Originally posted by Arianna12 View Post
                  LJ Posted an interesting thing about MID on the AS blog recently - http://www.herinteractive.com/2017/0...c-outsourcing/

Also, I would like to point out that contrary to HER's belief (I am absolutely NOT calling out LJ for this in any way) that using an external composer OR VAs does absolutely NOT count as outsourcing. VAs are almost never tied to a single company, same with composers. They usually work as artists for hire, or freelance, etc. there's many different technical/tax classifications of it. Trying to make it seem like this has been previous "outsourcing" is very deceptive.

On the other hand, I am interested to learn that there were art and design elements that were outsourced.

~Ari
                  Thanks for that - it's an interesting little blurb she's written.

I honestly don't care about the outsourcing. Any other time I might be mildly upset about it - for sure less upset than I was about Lani leaving/a new Nancy voice coming in - but with recent events it hardly seems worth getting mad about.

The most interesting part of that article to me is in the comments - someone asked if she could confirm if the whole game was being outsourced or just parts and her reply was, "Hi Jackson, I have no other information to share on the process. But I will later!".

Hardly seems like an answer from a company that should really be nearly done with the game. But maybe I'm wrong and it's just yet another thing they want to keep under wraps for whatever reason.

..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
                  ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

• Originally posted by Arianna12 View Post
                    LJ Posted an interesting thing about MID on the AS blog recently - http://www.herinteractive.com/2017/0...c-outsourcing/

~Ari
                    I think they told LJ to write about that, or at least gave her the go-ahead, to make it sound like "See? Outsourcing isn't that bad or new! We've always been doing it!" when that's not the case at all with the actual game design.

Comment

• Anyone else keep coming here just to see if there is any news/if HeR has thrown the whole project out and finally announced it?

I follow them on Facebook but I typically scroll right past their posts as they are boring and really not worth looking at, IMO. Trying to build up hype for older games is awesome (unless you're a company with no foreseeable future and are being awful to your fans atm). I keep checking here but the boards are dead.

Comment

• Yeah...I feel the same too Poppy Drew. Ever since I joined the message boards in 2011, I've been on every day and as much as I could. Back then, new posts were coming like every hour or less and now...not so much. I've seen maybe one or two new posts about once a day.

I keep logging in every day, hoping to get the old fan base back up again but it became a habit for me to log in even though I know there are no news. Guess we just have to move on or something.

I follow HeR on Facebook too (as well as Twitter) but yeah, all they post are about the old games which are not that bad. It's just...I've played them all so I'm not much of a post like the old games. I'm all about wanting and getting excited for new posts about upcoming games! I also go read the Amateur Sleuth Blog every day too, just to see if LJ has any news but lately, she had posted the things I have already seen on their Facebook or Twitter.

In May, it would have been two years since the last game in the Adventure Series came out and I'm hoping HeR will have something about MID before the end of the year.
                        Last edited by mdetective12; March 7, 2017, 07:18 PM.
                        ~ MD12 ~

Comment

• I'm surprised there hasn't been a letter to the fans. Even to say there's nothing to say.

I've stopped checking in frequently. Weeks pass and I think "oh I should check! Maybe something was announced" but it's the same old thing here, nothing new on any other site. I'll continue on that way but the anticipation is just gone. There's nothing to talk about, no game rumors to speak of. I'm not excited anymore.

Comment

• I usually swing by to check the boards and the blog, but I don't even look at their social media anymore...I've been playing these games since I was 8, have them all, and have replayed them all more times than I can count. They're promo sales don't really apply to me anymore, so I just kind of skim them, appreciate LJ and marketing's design layouts for things, and then keep scrolling.

There have only been 7 threads posted on in the last 24 hours, including this one. I think it is safe to agree that the hype has significantly died down. What makes me even more sad is that it looks like the mods are some of the only people that are answering the "help me" questions on the actual game threads. Our community is slowly starting to fade. MID really needs to have some sort of update soon, because otherwise I feel like it is going to be bad news....

A letter to the fans, a blog update...something that isn't just vague replies in the comments section of social media/amateur sleuth blog. Anything.
                            ......................................MaEbelLe
                            .¸.·*¨¯¨*·."A mask of sweet sincerity, A cloak of loving kindness.
                            ((.....*·-·'.......·*¨¯¨*·................·*¨¯¨*·.¸ Meant to sway the heart to trust,
                            .``+.,¸¸_¸,.+´......*·-·'.·*¨¯¨*·.....'·-·*......))............and fill the eyes with blindness."
                            ...........................'·-·*......`+.,¸_¸¸,.+´´.·*¨¯¨*·........·*¨¯¨*·¸...¸·*¨¯¨*·.
                            .................................................. ..'·-·*......`·....'·-·*......)(......*·-·'.--Nancy Drew:Stay Tuned
                            .................................................. ................`+.,¸_¸,.+´..`+.,¸_¸,.+*¨¯¨*·.for Danger
                            ©P109.................................................. ........................................*·-·'

Comment

• Originally posted by all_4_you View Post
                              I usually swing by to check the boards and the blog, but I don't even look at their social media anymore...I've been playing these games since I was 8, have them all, and have replayed them all more times than I can count. They're promo sales don't really apply to me anymore, so I just kind of skim them, appreciate LJ and marketing's design layouts for things, and then keep scrolling.

There have only been 7 threads posted on in the last 24 hours, including this one. I think it is safe to agree that the hype has significantly died down. What makes me even more sad is that it looks like the mods are some of the only people that are answering the "help me" questions on the actual game threads. Our community is slowly starting to fade. MID really needs to have some sort of update soon, because otherwise I feel like it is going to be bad news....

A letter to the fans, a blog update...something that isn't just vague replies in the comments section of social media/amateur sleuth blog. Anything.
                              This is so sad. I remember being a kid and the games were coming out all the time and the boards were a place to get lost in. I feel like the end of this company as we know it is coming. If MID doesn't come out within the next two years, I don't think it will ever come out.
                              I became insane
                              With long intervals
                              of terrible
                              Sanity
                              - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• all_4_you: yep, I'm the same as you -- started playing when I was about nine, have played them all. I used to get super excited when new things would be posted, now it's just the same ol' same ol'.

I used to be able to miss a week and come here and there would be 20+ pages of threads. Now there's barely one, maybe two on a good day.

Miss.Moonhart: if we don't get any updates by this summer I'm going to bet that MID and the future of HeR will not be looking so hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X