MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NancyD92 View Post
    They could be researching and working on new platforms while continuing to release games with the technologies they're already well acquainted with. And it seems that they're perfectly capable of doing more anyway, they just likely don't have the funding to do so and are continuing to make excuses.
    Exactly. How many times before has HeR tried to go another direction and released games that were suited for a different platform? They had a DVD game, a Wii game, a Nintendo game, an app game, then another app game....they're just not as popular and they don't do as well. IMO, part of that is because the point-and-click style isn't really transferable onto other platforms.

If they want to mess around with that junk, whatever, but the smart thing to do would be to keep releasing games in the meantime. Then they'd have some revenue and less fan upset before introducing something entirely new. The way they're going, IF they release a new game, it will probably not go over well and then they'll just burn out.

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
    I remember when they promised that MID will be releasing in the autumn of 2016.

Kind of heard this all before in a boy-who-cried-wolf sort of way. I almost wonder if it is a way to keep fans silent for a nice, long while.
    I 100% agree. Spring 2018 would have been a reasonable goal. A year and a half away is NOT. As we've seen before, a lot can happen in that time.

I really enjoyed reading the perspective from the ex-employee, though unfortunately I think s/he is correct. I've believed for a long time that HeR is just trying to string people along so they can keep selling the games they have left, before closing shop. They've yet to give me any reason to believe otherwise. Poor LJ is stuck taking the brunt of this, too - if I were her I'd honestly just find a new job elsewhere.

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
    And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
    ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
    ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
    ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
    ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

• Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
      The fact that it took months to edit this HeR letter to fans makes it seems more like carefully crafted smoke-and-mirrors PR, and not something real. When a company is truly excited to share news, they dont need months and months to decide how to word their update. It takes that long when you are searching for an angle that will ring true.
      Absolutely.

I think it's a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing - I see it as the company trying to buy itself a year of no one asking when MID is coming out, and that's basically it.

Comment

• The thing about the letter is that it only outlines what they PLAN TO DO. It includes nothing about what progress has ALREADY BEEN DONE. That's one of the reasons it leaves me feeling very unsatisfied, despite the projected goal. It makes me suspicious too and questioning how much has really been done. Also, why is virtual reality a cause for secrecy? It doesn't add up. If it were only virtual reality stalling things, then it still doesn't explain why they were keeping that a secret. It's like they traded the unity excuse for the VR excuse. This could backfire though because now people are asking about the price of the game and HER isn't giving them an answer. A while ago they couldn't even confirm that there would be physical copies of the game (but they did confirm digital.) So yeah, I'm leaning towards the side of discontent. To be editing for 8 months is just beyond my comprehension. Don't put out a message saying "update coming shortly" if you can't follow through. Like I said, better late than never I guess, but they've long since broken the trust and this letter doesn't change how I feel.

"Thank you for continuing to introduce Nancy Drew Games to your friends and family. By helping us spread the word about our award-winning games, it ensures that we can keep the legacy of Nancy Drew Games alive and thriving."

Also, that last line of the letter makes it seem like they are desperate for more customers/money. To me, it says "if you don't buy the games we'll go out of business."
        Last edited by DrewidMagic; December 20, 2017, 11:41 AM.
        I don't want to go among
        MAD people . . . -Alice
        oooOOOooOOOooOOOooo
        wHoArEyOu?uOyErAoHw

Comment

• 2019???? Really???

Question 1- So AFTER MID is (?) is released how long will it take between games in this new platform?

Question 2- How much will MID cost to buy? Will the price go up to cover the cost of this new platform?

Comment

• Originally posted by notmyrealname View Post

2019???? Really???

Question 1- So AFTER MID is (?) is released how long will it take between games in this new platform?

Question 2- How much will MID cost to buy? Will the price go up to cover the cost of this new platform?
            This is what I was talking about that people would ask, and someone asked the very same questions as you have. They answered the first part but completely ignored the second part so either they don't know yet, or they do know but they think people won't like the answer so they aren't telling anyone.

"Ann Behlmer Nancy Drew Games, Are you telling us that all of the games are going to take this long in the future because of this multi-format change? Also how is the price going to be affected? Part of what I liked about the games was the simplicity and affordability.

Nancy Drew Games Hi Ann - No, it will not take this long for every game going forward. Thanks for asking!"
            I don't want to go among
            MAD people . . . -Alice
            oooOOOooOOOooOOOooo
            wHoArEyOu?uOyErAoHw

Comment

• i didn't see that thread. it must be on facebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post
                I 100% agree. Spring 2018 would have been a reasonable goal. A year and a half away is NOT. As we've seen before, a lot can happen in that time.
                I myself wont believe it till I see it actually happen.
                R A T A T A T

Party: show up late, leave early. Work: show up early leave late. Life: just stick around as long as you can

Comment

• Spring 2019 is five seasons from today. (Happy Winter, btw!) In that time, I can...

lose a little/lot of weight
                  build muscle
                  wear out a few pairs of walking shoes
                  save a little/lot of money
                  earn enough money to pay for MID
                  play ND games
                  read ND books
                  enjoy ND-related siggies and alternate endings
                  let my hair grow fifteen inches longer
                  see what happens when I attempt to create a game on Unity
                  -or not-
                  The world is divided into two nations:
                  those with teddy bears, those without.
                  Each thinks the other is odd.
                  Jenny De Vries.

(so... umm... how do we feel about ND and Mr. Woogle Wogle?)

Comment

• I am in the disappointed camp. I have no idea how much HER is bleeding dollars or lying or stalling. All I know is that I have loved the games as they were. Clearly they could have updated graphics and be a little longer with more characters (as so many fans have suggested), but all in all they have a fan base that loves the games, who are loyal, who will buy.

And so they totally are changing the games. Why the silence for so long? Why not be honest with the fans that more will change than just a change to Unity? Why not release a game, telling fans that the next game and following will be totally different, updated, for multiple platforms? You are trying to gain new fans, great. But alienate everyone who has bought your games for 15 years? No.

I'm not even in the target age for fans--way too old. But I've bought every game and gotten my daughters into them. This will not happen anymore. It's sad. For the company and for the fans.
                    It's up to you as Nancy Drew!

Comment

• Ugh, this update is so disappointing. Not only do we have a super long time to wait still but also I'm not sure about the unity platform. Will the games not be point and click anymore? Because unfortunately I can't play the "free roam" ones since they give me motion sickness. All I ever wanted differently from the games was for them to support wide screens (i.e. no more black bars on the sides of the screens.) Thinking fondly of the old days when we used to get two games a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCsleuth View Post
                        I am in the disappointed camp. I have no idea how much HER is bleeding dollars or lying or stalling. All I know is that I have loved the games as they were. Clearly they could have updated graphics and be a little longer with more characters (as so many fans have suggested), but all in all they have a fan base that loves the games, who are loyal, who will buy.

And so they totally are changing the games. Why the silence for so long? Why not be honest with the fans that more will change than just a change to Unity? Why not release a game, telling fans that the next game and following will be totally different, updated, for multiple platforms? You are trying to gain new fans, great. But alienate everyone who has bought your games for 15 years? No.

I'm not even in the target age for fans--way too old. But I've bought every game and gotten my daughters into them. This will not happen anymore. It's sad. For the company and for the fans.
                        I don't think you're too old. They age range for each game says 10 to adult after all.

Comment

• So about the news letter even though I'm kinda behind on it...(Parts from the letter in red)
                          -"Spring of 2019."
                          I won't believe that until I see it.
                          -As always, we greatly appreciate our fantastic community and your notes of encouragement.
                          Notes of encouragement? I'm sorry but what I've been seeing from people has not really been encouragement. I mean maybe a few, yes, but a lot of what I've see is fans that are sick a tired of waiting for a straight answer that we'll never get...Maybe I just haven't read everything and a lot of fans are still with HeR, but I kinda doubt it at this point to be honest.

If MID ever does come out I probably am going to wait and see how bad it turns out, and then still never buy it. If I ever buy a Nancy Drew game it'll be one I don't have. (Which I am only missing two of them! )

This may seem like a hate post towards HeR and I'm sorry it came off that way. I'm just disappointed in them and am sad cause Nancy Drew has been with me as long as I can remember and to see it go is super sad for me. I mean it's pretty much been gone since like two almost three years ago, but still.
                          ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
                          (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
                          .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
                          ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
                          ..( ..)
                          c('')('')

Comment

• Can I just point out that in their letter HeR is "targeting a release date of Spring 2019". In other words, still no guaranteed release date. They've have "target" release dates for MID before. I suppose we will see if they actually release it this time.
                            Case Closed!:
                            SCK2, STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK, TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, CRY, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, TOT, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH, SPY, MED, LIE, SEA.

Currently anticipating: ND #33: Midnight in Salem!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tophat View Post
                              Can I just point out that in their letter HeR is "targeting a release date of Spring 2019". In other words, still no guaranteed release date. They've have "target" release dates for MID before. I suppose we will see if they actually release it this time.
                              It now says on the MID page that the release date is Spring 2019.

Comment

• I suspect, based on previous experiences, that HER had hired a game developer that had acquired the rights to make these games for a set period of time. It's not uncommon for these to have Non-Disclosure Agreements associated with them. In such a case where the publisher and the developer are having issues it isn't unusually for the game to essentially be locked down until that agreement expires. Once that agreement expires then they can farm it out to another game developer who may be starting essentially from scratch. I suspect that's what happened here. The previous developer's agreement has just expired and they have signed on with a new developer who has indicated that the game should be ready for Spring 2019. Either way, at least we have movement.

Comment

Working...
                                X