MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
    Just curious, but have they said anything about that recently?
    Someone said they asked and they received that reply, maybe in the last 4 months?

Comment

• I have a question. Will the future ND games be based on ND books, or will the games be original tales that involve established characters?
      The world is divided into two nations:
      those with teddy bears, those without.
      Each thinks the other is odd.
      Jenny De Vries.

(so... umm... how do we feel about ND and Mr. Woogle Wogle?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver View Post
        I have a question. Will the future ND games be based on ND books, or will the games be original tales that involve established characters?
        isn't that how they were already doing it with both??
        hallo could you let me out of the boot/trunk already im running out of air.

Comment

• It's Coming!

Guys its Spring next month and I don't know about you all but I am stalking HER page to see when they put up the official release date! I am so excited that thus far it appears that it hasn't been pushed back and the game is still to be released this Spring....especially since we've all been patiently waiting for it like 6 games ago

I have been replaying some of my older games that I either forgot the ending to or just got stuck and never got to finish (yes I have them all, yes I am obsessed), to get in the mood for the next game.

I would be nice if this game launches around Easter or earlier

I am pleased that Her Interactive keeps updating the page (valentines day, apparel, etc.) because it makes me feel that they haven't forgot that the game is still due. It's taken so long to make this game, I hope that it will take me longer than a week to beat it! (Who am I joking? It always take me longer than a week )

Patiently waiting

Comment

• New ND Unity platform - is it 360 view, you can look all around?

I tried to play a game recently that had 360 views, and it took SOOOO long to do/find anything due to the navigation. If using a mouse, it takes forever, it was horrible. It took me 30 mins just to look at 3 things in front of the character due to the 360 view. And no possible way to forward thru dialogue, ugh. What I loved about ND games is that you could go click on something and go there, you could forward thru dialogue with a click. there was no "hold down a mouse button to walk forward or backward". They make me feel like I have motion sickness as well. If this is the route ND games are going, I can't play. And the lack of a game in 4 years, wow.
            So, if ND is going this way, does anyone have any suggestions of a game that plays like old ND, with NO GUNS/WAR/VIOLENCE? I don't mind fantasy, just don't want the kill em up to win scenarios.
            Thank you.

Comment

• Miss Clue games are set up like the Nancy Drew games were, not as good, but in the same style and perspective. They are online free games with I think two others that can bought and downloaded. I played a couple of them just to check them out while waiting for our Nancy Drew games to come back.

Can't wait for MID!

Comment

• Excited for the game! Popping in to sort-of change the subject, if I may nerd out a little with some trivia...

I studied history, and my girlfriend is from Boston, and I therefore have a lot of residual, accidental knowledge of the Salem witch trials. I think it's interesting that for some of the characters they've revealed for this game, they went with names of real people involved in the trials. They edited their roles, but Danforth was the name of the deputy governor of Massachusetts when Oyer and Terminer were in force; Sarah (I think) Cole was a woman brought from elsewhere in the colony who was tried as a witch, though she was found not guilty. I think her case was toward the end of the trials, after the hysteria sort of settled out. Most notably, Parris was the minister in Salem Town, the father of one of the earliest accusers, and arguably the man who first instigated the trials. He prosecuted many of the "witches."

Salem has always had a certain fascination about it. Obviously there has been a massive amount of media dedicated to analyzing what happened there, most of it embellished, but there is a lot of scholarly interest over the past decade, and I have to say it's easy for me to draw connections between the push for the empowerment of women and renewed obsession with Salem. It is nearly impossible to separate the treatment of women in Puritan society from the trials, especially at the intersection of their class and cultural background. Men were suspect, too, but mistrust of women and meekness of young girls were central to the plot. I guess my point in saying all of this is that, with HER being the company that it is, I hope this will be a well-researched (though not heavy-handed) and compassionate exploration of a historical moment that does not do well held to a microscope without the context that surrounded it.

If you are at all interested in this sort of thing, I really recommend the book The Witches by Stacy Schiff, as well as a podcast that ran just last year called Unobscured. The entire first season is an in-depth look at the culture in Salem. I just finished listening to it today, and it's really dry, but it's wonderful and a pretty soothing listen.

I hope they stick to schedule.
                Last edited by ouef; March 13, 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Okay, I'm really getting so stoked.

I've played all of the games, some more than once and honestly I just cannot wait for the new game. I miss playing them and hopefully the release of this will get them quickly back into gear and back on a regular schedule!

Miss my Nancy Drew games!

Comment

• EIGHT characters? Price?

We now have EIGHT seemingly normal (ie. not phone) characters which is unprecedented for the games. I'm hesitant to get excited just quite yet before we see a more proper trailer, but the idea of a Nancy Drew game with eight suspects (or seven if Deirdre isn't considered a suspect in-game) sounds really fun if done right. After all, more suspects = more snooping through their "areas" while they're gone!

If it is the case that there is more content compared to a normal game, I really hope people are prepared for a price increase. I disagree with a lot of the decisions HER's made these past few years, but I think I price increase is totally fair and justified at this point. I'm not sure if the games have always been $20 since 1998 (I started playing in 2005, and I know they were $20 then) but if they were, by inflation $20 in 1998 would be $31.36. Because of this, I think EVEN IF they don't make the game longer that it's OK to raise the price to $30, and maybe even more if they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by candyswirl View Post
                      We now have EIGHT seemingly normal (ie. not phone) characters which is unprecedented for the games. I'm hesitant to get excited just quite yet before we see a more proper trailer, but the idea of a Nancy Drew game with eight suspects (or seven if Deirdre isn't considered a suspect in-game) sounds really fun if done right. After all, more suspects = more snooping through their "areas" while they're gone!
                      Honestly, I just feel like with all the characters we aren't going to get to snoop in all their areas which will be a disappointment to me. I really do hope the new game is much longer since it has been in development for so long, the fact that they keep adding more characters feels to me like a way to keep the fans interested and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another delay in release.

Sorry for the pessimistic view but at this point I don't know what to think.

Comment

• Originally posted by nedtheGOAT View Post
                        Honestly, I just feel like with all the characters we aren't going to get to snoop in all their areas which will be a disappointment to me. I really do hope the new game is much longer since it has been in development for so long, the fact that they keep adding more characters feels to me like a way to keep the fans interested and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another delay in release.

Sorry for the pessimistic view but at this point I don't know what to think.
                        WELL, the whole idea of them switching to Unity, and going in this new direction they've mentioned, was to give us More with the games. More characters, more environments, more gameplay in general. So i see the introduction of all these characters as proof that MID will be fulfilling that promise, not ultimately giving us less. Also, i really think they wouldn't be doing this as a lead up to simply pushing the release date again.
                        Listen, my child, to this story of dreams,
                        And know that the beginning is more difficult than it seems.
                        When the ten daughters are reunited in order,
                        When the four-sided box loses its border,
                        When the eye of the phoenix is in your hand,
                        When the bird of fire can see again,
                        When the moon sleeps and the sun plays,
                        The king of the sky will shine his rays,
                        And hidden beneath a river of colors
                        Will lie a gate to golden wonders.

Comment

• MID Next Release

I have been to Salem, Mass and have visited The Salem Witch Museum (lots of historical information and re-enactment of the trials). Looking forward to the new release and how much will be incorporated into the game. I have owned and played all the ND regular PC games since the beginning. But, sold the complete set last year as did not enjoy playing on the PC w/arrow movement keys, etc. Have been waiting not only for a regular ND game release but to be able to play on an iPad and/or laptop w/mouse. Wish ND would come out w/games for the xBox One where you can play on a TV screen.

I just noticed Ghost of Thornton Hall can be downloaded (never looked as I had already played PC copy) to an iPad, etc. Hopefully the new MID will have that option also. Interested if you can just use your fingers to interact in the game if playing on an iPad?
                          Last edited by Cat Woman; March 19, 2019, 08:58 AM. Reason: Found some info
                          Pharaoh´s Tomb

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat Woman View Post
                            I have been to Salem, Mass and have visited The Salem Witch Museum (lots of historical information and re-enactment of the trials). Looking forward to the new release and how much will be incorporated into the game. I have owned and played all the ND regular PC games since the beginning. But, sold the complete set last year as did not enjoy playing on the PC w/arrow movement keys, etc. Have been waiting not only for a regular ND game release but to be able to play on an iPad and/or laptop w/mouse. Wish ND would come out w/games for the xBox One where you can play on a TV screen.

I just noticed Ghost of Thornton Hall can be downloaded (never looked as I had already played PC copy) to an iPad, etc. Hopefully the new MID will have that option also. Interested if you can just use your fingers to interact in the game if playing on an iPad?
                            Ha, i was going to reply to tell you about the GTH app, and then i got to your second paragraph. I like the app. The navigation is the same, you just "click" with your finger instead of a mouse. I'm pretty sure the plan for MID is for it to be playable on many devices, and with smoother navigation. (though i really like the point and click style). Idk if the gameplay is much different, but there's a version of ICE for the Wii, and i think a DVD version of CUR. Also there's the Hardy Boys game (Treasure on the Tracks) for Nintendo DS. It's pretty different. There was a version of SHA for the iphone, but it was discontinued :(
                            I wish i could visit Salem, and am also pretty excited about the historical aspect of the game. I hope they include a lot of history. (But also spookiness).
                            Listen, my child, to this story of dreams,
                            And know that the beginning is more difficult than it seems.
                            When the ten daughters are reunited in order,
                            When the four-sided box loses its border,
                            When the eye of the phoenix is in your hand,
                            When the bird of fire can see again,
                            When the moon sleeps and the sun plays,
                            The king of the sky will shine his rays,
                            And hidden beneath a river of colors
                            Will lie a gate to golden wonders.

Comment

• Originally posted by candyswirl View Post

If it is the case that there is more content compared to a normal game, I really hope people are prepared for a price increase. I disagree with a lot of the decisions HER's made these past few years, but I think I price increase is totally fair and justified at this point. I'm not sure if the games have always been $20 since 1998 (I started playing in 2005, and I know they were $20 then) but if they were, by inflation $20 in 1998 would be $31.36. Because of this, I think EVEN IF they don't make the game longer that it's OK to raise the price to $30, and maybe even more if they do.
                              Yeah I too believe that there is going to be a price increase to probably 40 bucks. Especially if the game is longer and there's more characters and it's more challenging. But if it stays 20 then I'm not complaining lol. I am just really hoping that the format is the same, point and click (which from what I read I understand it may not be), but one can hope.

Comment

• I am hoping they put a lot of historical moments in the game from the actual events. Like reading a lot about what was going on. And hopefully they will have some games included along with the puzzles.
                                Currently playing VEN
                                Favorite ND games DOG AND CUR
                                I could use a little space, Nancy.

I have a space bubble here, you're violating it!

Comment

Working...
                                X