My thoughts on these rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on these rumors

I guess I've heard all the rumors now and the calls by the hopeful for patience. If only patience was all that was needed for us to get what we want.

Allow me to post what I think should happen. If I'm posting this in the wrong area, I hope I can be forgiven and placed in the appropriate thread.

It's clear Her Interactive is not in a position to release the next promised title. I do not fault them, it's hard to keep a business going. And as I've mentioned before, I don't know how a game development company can possibly exist releasing only two games a year.

I have a solution, and I hope someone will listen. It's not my first choice solution. That solution would be that Her would release the new game immediately, that it has the game after that in the beta stage and the game after that in mid-development.

In lieu of that, it would be my hope that Her would sell the Nancy Drew franchise to a larger, more capable game development company that would treat the series with the respect it deserves and maintain the quality that Her Interactive has so wonderfully established.

That is truly what I think should happen. Sure, it makes me sad, but change happens and I think the most important element here is to save, preserve and perpetuate the Nancy Drew series.

So your saying they should early access?

I've got nothing wrong with early access, it could work, it could blow up in there face (especially sense its only 2-D point and clicks). I think the more important issues over admittedly beloved games is for people to have jobs to put food on the table. Selling there largest franchise doesn't seem conductive to that.

I apologize that just seems like a really callous thing to say about a company; especially for the people who work there.

You make it sound like company's that would be both better and respect the quality and style of the games are easy to find and Those that would just buy the rights to cash in on the name and legacy don't exist.
    Last edited by veja; January 3, 2017, 10:50 AM. Reason: removing objectionable comments

Comment

Originally posted by OddandOdd View Post
      You just implied that a game series was worth more then peoples livelihoods.
      What people?

Also if they changed wouldnt that give livelihoods to a whole new group of people, perhaps even US-based instead of Asia?
      Last edited by paperstreet; January 2, 2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
        What people?

Also if they changed wouldnt that give livelihoods to a whole new group of people, perhaps even US-based instead of Asia?
        Her interactive is based in Washington. Those are the livelihoods I'm talking about.

Comment

Her interactive is based in Washington. Those are the livelihoods I'm talking about.

If you read the MID thread, you will see that there are not many livelihoods at HeR. I wish I could be more specific, but I will get an infraction if I talk about it. But it is on the two MID threads (MID Discussion, Release Date, Unity Etc Parts 1 and 2), if you want to be sleuthy :)

I only wish LJ the best, though, as she is great at what she does.
          Last edited by paperstreet; January 3, 2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

HeR laid everyone off two years ago. There are only a handful of people working HeR that we know of so they must be outsourcing for MID. This information is in the other thread so I feel like it's not against the rules for me to repeat it - that thread is so long.

I just want MID to come out. If that means selling, fine. But I do think it will come out this year. Maybe not until the fall though.

Comment

What I don't understand about these staff lay-offs is how do we know this is true? Did a current or former employee of HeR come out and say it? Wouldn't that guarantee redundancy? This also makes me confused, because in all the Twitch party streams I've seen, there is always a lot of staff moving around in the background, sometimes waving at the camera.

If HeR are going to provide an update about MID 'soon', I wish they'd just come out and say it.
              "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

Originally posted by secretsleuth89 View Post
                What I don't understand about these staff lay-offs is how do we know this is true? Did a current or former employee of HeR come out and say it? Wouldn't that guarantee redundancy? This also makes me confused, because in all the Twitch party streams I've seen, there is always a lot of staff moving around in the background, sometimes waving at the camera.

If HeR are going to provide an update about MID 'soon', I wish they'd just come out and say it.
                There was an article on the layoffs written up by geekwire a legitimate news source. It's true. Additionally, if you check anyone who used to work at her's LinkedIn, it will say when they stopped working there. Many were in may or July of 2015, indicating a layoff situation. Additionally, Katie, the former writer has tweeted about the layoffs many many times.

Comment

Originally posted by secretsleuth89 View Post
                  there is always a lot of staff moving around in the background, sometimes waving at the camera.
                  There is the marketing people (LJ and Jared) a couple of admin and the intern(s). They are probably the ones waving

Comment

So your saying they should early access?

I've got nothing wrong with early access, it could work, it could blow up in there face (especially sense its only 2-D point and clicks). I think the more important issues over admittedly beloved games is for people to have jobs to put food on the table. Selling there largest franchise doesn't seem conductive to that.

I apologize that just seems like a really callous thing to say about a company; especially for the people who work there.

You make it sound like company's that would be both better and respect the quality and style of the games are easy to find and Those that would just buy the rights to cash in on the name and legacy don't exist.
                    I have to admit, I found your post a bit difficult to read. However, in your first sentence you asked, "So your <sic> saying they should early access?"

Perhaps you have commented on the wrong post. That's an easy mistake to make. I say that only because there is no sentence in my post where the phrase "early access" is used, nor are there any ideas that I shared suggesting that type of action.

However, the rest of your comments did seem to respond to my original post. I was going to address the remainder of your comments, but after reading them again I think I will let my original post stand on its own. I will say that there was nothing callous in my post; quite the contrary. Perhaps you should read my original post again, but this time read it with a kinder-sounding voice in your head, because when I wrote my original post, there wasn't a callous or unkind thought in my head or heart; again, quite the contrary.

Good day.

***merged*****
                    I wonder, is there any way to speak to another member privately? There is a member here with whom I'd very much like to speak privately.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, how?
                    Last edited by veja; January 5, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BooBoo'sNan
                      I wonder, is there any way to speak to another member privately? There is a member here with whom I'd very much like to speak privately.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, how?

I think you used to be able to private message other users, but now private messaging has been disabled.

Originally posted by hedgie
                      Private messaging has been disabled for members.

Julesy
                      Originally posted by catsandbooks
                      PMs were to send game spoilers. Once the spoiler code was in place there was no longer a need for it.
                      ……………_______¸+*¨¯¨*׸
                      …………………….
                      |.I am not.|·-·*.……))……
                      ……..….
                      |ashamed|.……¸.•´
                      |....of the...|..¸.+´
                      |
                      ...G o s p e l o f C h r i s t....|
                      |because it is the p o w e r|

¸.|..of God;. |
                      ¸.×´|…..the…..|.……….
                      ((……….|salvation |.…………
                      `+.,¸.|…5of.…...|………..
                      |everyone|
                      |.....who.... |
                      | believes |
                      Romans 1:16

This sig is i l l e g a l in over 50 countries.
                      This amazing signature is by Olbrso!!

Comment

In response to the original post, many larger gaming companies release games much more sporadically, sometimes with years apart from game to game in a series. The reason for this is that large companies are producing multiple games at a time which all take quite awhile to make. If HER were to sell, the games would not only be much different, but the release date for MID would probably be delayed even further. I'll explain.

Many fans, like myself, who are now adults and have played the games since childhood might be upset if a new company took over. Many long-time fans have been turned off in the past when big changes were made and might not hesitate to stop playing the games if the changes were sudden and drastic. At the same time however, HER is falling behind in an industry that relies upon continual improvements to remain relevant to younger generations. That is why HER switched to the Unity platform.

Secondly, another company might not treat the games as one might expect with "the respect it deserves." Since larger companies produce many games, the Nancy Drew Series as we know it would be thrown into the mix with dozens of other games in development. It is more likely that the Nancy Drew games would be stopped entirely if produced by another company. A larger company would simply stop making games that only appeal to a limited audience in the first place and put their efforts into making games with mass appeal. I think the reason why HER has lasted so long is that the company devotes itself to the series.

Yes, HER has to make changes in order to continue to make good-quality games, but I still think they are the best company that can and will produce what we Nancy Drew fans want not just what is popular in a flooded industry.
                        The world fondly remembers those who always give,
                        and soon forgets those who only take.

The Deadly Device

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
                          I think the reason why HER has lasted so long is that the company devotes itself to the series.
                          The sad thing is it seems that this is no longer the case. They said at some point that after C&C is released they would switch to MID but then in the latest letter to the fans (months after C&C was released) they said their immediate attention has still been on C&C. It doesn't appear that the company is as devoted to the adventure series as they used to be. It has not been a priority.

At this point it seems like having another company take over may not be the worst thing in the world because HeR doesn't seem to care anymore.

Comment

I am getting concerned with the endless PR conveyor line of promising updates but not delivering on them. Despite this, I still feel that I need to believe in HeR Interactive as a company and trust that they will deliver MID to us, even if we're all old and grey and in rocking chairs at that point.

I miss the good old days where LJ would say one week on her blog, "Hey! We did this this week and are going to work on that next." I guess with the transition to Unity and all that involves, they want to keep their cards close to their chests in case something goes wrong.

But we are their fans. We have the right to be involved in this transition process, too.
                            "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSleuth View Post
                              HeR laid everyone off two years ago. There are only a handful of people working HeR that we know of so they must be outsourcing for MID. This information is in the other thread so I feel like it's not against the rules for me to repeat it - that thread is so long.

I just want MID to come out. If that means selling, fine. But I do think it will come out this year. Maybe not until the fall though.
                              yes. I just want it to come out too. I too think it wont come out until September/October 2017, simply because things are going slower for HER now.

(Syberia 3 is coming out in the first quarter or the year though and that is also an awesome game if you've never plated)
                              R A T A T A T

Party: show up late, leave early. Work: show up early leave late. Life: just stick around as long as you can

Comment

Working...
                              X