• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dossier Series

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if there's been any news on the Dossier front
    Any signs at all?

Do you reckon there's a point in starting another petition?
    Enough show of hands and could make it happen.

I don’t believe there has been news on any game, Dossier or not. I hope I’m wrong and there is some news!

Comment

I posted elsewhere recently saying how much I would like to see the Dossier series continued. I thought it was a great endeavour by the company, and I would like to see them at least complete and release Ship of Shadows.
      Olallie

Cassidy Jones:
      Well. Now that people seem to be all done slinging mud at me,
      I think I'll go take a bath in some.

-- Resorting to Danger --

Comment

I asked them and they messaged me back saying they had no plans to ever finish Ship of shadows or to make any other dossier games.
        FIGH THE POWER. . . and save the classics!
        Sign like2hike123's petition to Fight the power and save the classics!

Comment

If you look at the trademarks HeR had, it looks like DOSSIER has been dead for some time so I don't think they're ever going to bring the dossier games again. I don't know much about trademarks so I don't know how they work but it would be cool if they make it alive and make more of the series.
          ~ MD12 ~

Comment

Would it be weird, elating, exciting, scary, thrilling, mind-blowing, heart-warming, or what, to open up the store on your phone and find the first of a new series of ND casual games? The likely concept would be another dossier game, right?

HeR, if you are reading this and are able to comment at this time: is it possible now or in future to bring smaller, casual ND games to market? Inquiring minds, and rabid sleuths, want to know. Thank you.
            🎢 My name is Nancy, I'm a detective...
            πŸŽ„ My name is Solver, I love Christmas...
            ❓ What is your name? What do you do?...

Comment

I think a new set of Dossier-type games for phone or tablet would be such a great idea. It's a shame if they're writing off the idea of them.

They seem to be quicker and less expensive to make, and they could provide a revenue stream to supplement the regular games. That's assuming the regular games would sell between 30 and 50 US dollars per game, and casual Dossier-type games would sell under 20 dollars US. (If they're very much in the casual class, like hidden-object games with no voice acting, they'd probably sell for under 10 dollars US.)

They could also be released more frequently (maybe once a year) and it would keep fans happy in between the millennia it apparently takes to create the regular games ever since the big break-up (i.e. that dark day in March, 2015 when they let go of half of their employees and started the downward spiral that included letting go of Lani M).

Somewhere, someone at the company might still have the first draft of Ship of Shadows (after all, they had enough of an idea in place to put the teaser at the end of RED), and it would be a good starting point for them. I for one would love to know exactly what that story was going to be.

There are some companies out there making quite good casual games. I think it would be a great idea for HeR to look at that as one of their offerings, as well.

Comment

I'm not a fan of games for the phone--I'd far rather see PC/MAC games. I think society spends too much time on their cell phones as it is, and wouldn't want to see another phone game dragging people away from social interactions.

As to the trademark, I wonder how easy it is to reapply/reinstate one? I read an interview a while back which stated that Ship of Shadows was about halfway finished. I wonder what that half entailed: concept art and storyline only, or were scenes with dialogue and animation completed? It would just be lovely to have that one game finished. I would be thrilled to see the series go on from there, but would be satisfied with Ship of Shadows being completed, released, and the series closed.
                Olallie

Cassidy Jones:

Comment

Hmm. That is an interesting point about isolation and playing games on the phone. If we are playing games on the computer, are we equally isolated (unless we are playing in a group play or on Steam)? If we play with others, it would definitely involve some interaction, connection, or at least discussion. I also wonder: do we play more/longer if we are playing casual games than if we are playing adventure games? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
                    Hmm. That is an interesting point about isolation and playing games on the phone. If we are playing games on the computer, are we equally isolated (unless we are playing in a group play or on Steam)? If we play with others, it would definitely involve some interaction, connection, or at least discussion. I also wonder: do we play more/longer if we are playing casual games than if we are playing adventure games? Inquiring minds want to know.
                    This is what comes to mind when I think of phone games: a group of people isolating themselves from their group, because each has their phone out and aren't actually socializing with one another. A few years ago, I went out to dinner with my mother and we had to wait to be seated. We were content to sit and chat with each other; that's why we were going to dinner. Sitting across from us was another family (three or four people) also waiting to be seated. But rather than engaging in conversation, they were ALL on their phones (probably playing games, perhaps on social media, who knows). Whatever they were doing on their phones, it was keeping them away from the social situation that they already found themselves in. With a computer game, you are at your desk alone or perhaps playing with someone (working as a team, I would imagine) (or you've chosen to ditch your social group to go to the computer, in which case, what a shame). Maybe this is just the way of society nowadays (which I find awful) but I make a point of not using my phone when I am visiting with others: at home it's in my pocket; while watching telly I place it on Silent mode; when out at a friend's house, the phone is turned off and left in my bag or coat pocket. Phones are distractions from social gatherings.

There's my little rant as to why I'm against the idea of phone games... I prefer desktop/laptop software.

(I do hope that this hasn't veered too much off-topic! Essentially, I'm still hoping for the Dossier games to come back to life, and in the form of PC/Mac games, as before. I absolutely would not purchase the game if it were designed for the phone.)
                    Olallie

Cassidy Jones:

Comment

I would say that this part of the discussion is fine. Why do some fans want/not want Dossier games and/or some gaming formats. And, it's interesting to me. :)

Originally posted by Olallie View Post

This is what comes to mind when I think of phone games: a group of people isolating themselves from their group, because each has their phone out and aren't actually socializing with one another. A few years ago, I went out to dinner with my mother and we had to wait to be seated. We were content to sit and chat with each other; that's why we were going to dinner. Sitting across from us was another family (three or four people) also waiting to be seated. But rather than engaging in conversation, they were ALL on their phones (probably playing games, perhaps on social media, who knows). Whatever they were doing on their phones, it was keeping them away from the social situation that they already found themselves in. With a computer game, you are at your desk alone or perhaps playing with someone (working as a team, I would imagine) (or you've chosen to ditch your social group to go to the computer, in which case, what a shame). Maybe this is just the way of society nowadays (which I find awful) but I make a point of not using my phone when I am visiting with others: at home it's in my pocket; while watching telly I place it on Silent mode; when out at a friend's house, the phone is turned off and left in my bag or coat pocket. Phones are distractions from social gatherings.

There's my little rant as to why I'm against the idea of phone games... I prefer desktop/laptop software.

(I do hope that this hasn't veered too much off-topic! Essentially, I'm still hoping for the Dossier games to come back to life, and in the form of PC/Mac games, as before. I absolutely would not purchase the game if it were designed for the phone.)

Comment

Originally posted by Olallie View Post
                        I'm not a fan of games for the phone--I'd far rather see PC/MAC games. I think society spends too much time on their cell phones as it is, and wouldn't want to see another phone game dragging people away from social interactions.
                        I definitely agree people spend too much time on their phone. But from a business perspective I think HeR could profit from creating a Dossier style game for phone (or tablet) simply as a second stream of income. I know several people who no longer bother with a PC, but they've all got phones. And if HeR has struggled with profitability in the past, I'd like to see them take something they do well (and I think the two previous Dossier games were well done for the type of game they were trying to be) and create another successful product - and boost their fanbase - by offering that product.

That said, if HeR can get back to making quality PC games, I'd much prefer that. I'm just starting to be doubtful that they can, given how long it's taking them, and how poor MID turned out to be compared to their other games.

Comment

With more people working from home, will society see more household computers again? Could there be a rise in PC gaming as a result? Hrm... questions, questions!

As to the profitability, I agree that there could be a case for that; however, I see it as a question of profit vs. health and well-being (the impacts all that screen time has an individual, which research continues to suggest can be incredibly detrimental). This is also assuming there is greater screen time with a phone vs a computer, for which I don't know the answer. I could be completely mistaken. But I do see phone games as taking advantage of people's mobility and ability to use their phones as mini-computers, and doing so in a negative way (reducing our social relationships, a reliance or addiction to smart phones). I stress that this is simply my perspective.

It would maybe be worthwhile for businesses and their programs/applications to advise their consumers about limiting time looking at a screen (remind those same individuals to get up and go for a walk, too). PSAs, warnings labels, whatever you want to call them. Something to tie in with the ESRB rating? Well, now I'm just rambling. BUT, I will conclude by saying that, with the short length of the Dossier games, they may reduce our screen time and be better for our health than the adventure games. I strive to keep this post related to the original topic.
                          πŸ˜…
                          Olallie

Cassidy Jones:

Comment

Still relating to the original topic: is there an individual tolerance differential for electronics usage per day, week, month, year, decade, etc.? (There are individual differences in the realms of interests, medicine, and other aspects of life. One size does not necessarily fit all, anywhere in life.) One of my jobs involves phone & computer simultaneously for as many hours as I can tolerate sitting more than standing or getting up and moving around. Outside of work, how much time will I want to spend with any device, for any purpose? Mind you, Nancy Drew is extremely important. I also have other interests. But Nancy Drew is extremely important. !

I am one person among many. How do other people prioritize their electronics usage, including how they prioritize Nancy Drew? How willing are ND fans to ask for and play future Dossier games and/or other smaller ND games? (I would sign a petition in the interest of whatever games HeR can produce for us.)

Comment

Working...
                            X