Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition for Plausible Progression

Hello ND fans!

I wanted to start a petition to bring back a certain element of the older games: plausible progression!

Something that is "plausible" has an "appearance of truth or reason". Plausible things can be readily believed based on logic.

A trend that I have noticed as the ND games progress is a lack of plausibility pertaining to both the overall plot and the puzzles.

I am willing to suspend some disbelief because of the nature of computer games and fiction in general. However, I am beginning to have a problem with puzzles or games that serve as "game time filler" and only further the game play, not the plot.

Examples for improvement:
    - Focus on random events that throw a plot twist in the game rather than having Nancy bounce around from puzzle to puzzle or chore to chore.
    - Allow Nancy to find and assess clues, not play games
    - "Unlock" new areas for snooping as the need arises and to allow Nancy to find necessary tools, rather than having Nancy conveniently find the right tools in the most random places or do chores for characters in exchange.
    - Use plots that involve a mystery in which the trail is "fresh" and where you (as Nancy Drew!) have to do a bit of thinking in order to proceed. **See below note about this edit.**

A good example of plausible progression in a game is Stay Tuned for Danger. Or, Treasure in the Royal Tower, because although the plot requires a stretch of imagination, the puzzles do not. In contrast, I'm less impressed with Legend of the Crystal Skull because, although the puzzles were challenging, they were too "convenient" and not very believable. Other games have either been hits or misses, but I see an overall pattern in old games and new games regarding plausibility.

If you would be pleased to see plausibility return to the ND games, please sign. I am also interested in additional comments that anyone would like to contribute in support of this.

Thank you,
    gingerhorses

Signers:
    1. gingerhorses
    2. Krolmeister
    3. ace1995
    4. AStudyInScarlet
    5. Paradise ♥
    6. ~Snuggle Girl~
    7. tsukiakari
    8. thecrayonbox
    9. oceanxatlantic
    10. dellkitty
    11. oceanianow
    12. Lone White Wolf
    13. GetAClueGirlz
    14. sluthng4clues
    15. Emy~leah
    16. Mirica
    17. (SassyDetective
    18. kw_drewfan
    19. Mort
    20. sci-fi girl
    21. loveadobie
    22. NDStrawberyLove
    23. namithenobody
    24. inancyshoes
    25. nd_mania
    26. Loud*Music
    27. luv2micky
    28. DetectiveK8ie
    29. bella.cullen19
    30. Sensible
    31. chitachona
    32. Penguin Slueth
    33. MusicForMe
    34. WWNDD12
    35. steffachino
    36. Spaghetti
    37. purpleMoose
    38. Bubblez
    39. Moonwitch
    40. celtic13
    41. S. Holmes
    42. fossilgirl
    43. Mary_Jay
    44. Sirenbells
    45. briarrose24
    46. Misterio_Chica

**I edited a portion of my original post. In my list of suggestions, I had included "Move away from the "someone left a trail of clues a long time ago and Nancy is the one who will now figure it all out!" plot lines." I decided to change my word choice to be more positive and goal-oriented, like the other suggestions I had listed.
    gingerhorses
    Last edited by gingerhorses; October 21, 2012, 02:32 PM.
    Do you ever lose the plot among the puzzles? Sign the Petition for Plausible Progression!

And in the daylight we can hitchhike to Maine
    I hope that someday I'll see without these frames
    And in the daylight I don't pick up my phone
    Because in the daylight anywhere feels like home

I'm signing this!
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

*ba dum da tsh*

Comment

Can I sign?! I loved and I still love TRT. I believe that was one of the best games they ever made, so far

~Carrie

………..¸×´¨¯¨`+¸ Commercial: There goes Dwayne's car…
      ……….(*¨¯`•¸.`¤¸ ………….¸¤´¨¯¨`׸
      ………..`¤.,¸,.×´…...`×.,¸_¸,.+´………..)
      …there goes Dwayne's house…¸+´
      ……………………………………¸¤´…and there goes Dwayne.
      …………………………………...(_¸,.×´¨¯¨`¤.,¸_¸,.+´¯)…….¸¤´¨¯¨`׸
      …………Me: Dwayne Powers?………………….¸×´……...`•-·*……)
      ……………………………………..………………
      (_¸,.¤´¨¯¨`+.,¸_¸,.+´
      ©

Let's make HeRstory!
      3 - 5 - 16
      ` ∙ . , ¸ _ ¸ .∙*¨¯¨*∙¸¸∙*¨¯¨*∙. ¸ _ ¸ , . ∙ ´
      *·-·´`·-·*

more info

(¸.-»ɱy aяt яσσɱ•´¯`·.

Comment

You have summed up this issue beautifully. I would love to see newer games reflect more carefully thought out writing in the future rather than sending Nancy on a wild goose chase that leaves more questions than answers at the end of the game.

Sign me up.

Comment

Please sign me up!
          case cLoseD
          SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN
          CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH

Comment

Sign me up too. Good ideas!
            If I could report Midnight in Salem for being chatty, I would.

Comment

I agree very much with this. You've pinpointed something about the newer games that's been bothering me for a while. Please sign me up!
              neverending song
              2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
              So far from me too is your home
              to which I can never find my way
              your fairy tale...

Comment

This is an amazing idea. It's also something my mother (a ND player) and I whine about constantly. Sign me up!

Comment

This petition literally made my day; it's like you took everything out of my own head and wrote it down for me. I agree with every single thing you touch on.

I must admit, when I first saw this I was skeptical because of the thread title. I was thinking, "Aw, but Nancy Drew is fiction. Not every mystery can be completely realistic in every aspect!" But then I saw you meant the way she progresses in the mystery, no matter what type of mystery it is. And although CRY is one of my favorite games, it is for the plot. Not the unrealistic series of puzzles...

The realistic portrayal of that in a game is something I've been dying to see, and dearly missed.

Sign me up! Wonderful thread. (:
                  oceanxatlantic
                  Last edited by oceanxatlantic; February 11, 2012, 10:50 AM.
                  It's never too late to be who you might have been...[ George Eliot ]

reviews:TMBxASHxCAPxSAWxRANxHAUxVEN

Comment

Sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanxatlantic View Post
                      I must admit, when I first saw this I was skeptical because of the thread title. I was thinking, "Aw, but Nancy Drew is fiction. Not every mystery can be completely realistic in every aspect!" But then I saw you meant the way she progresses in the mystery, no matter what type of mystery it is.
                      Thanks for the feedback! I clarified the thread title. I completely agree, I don't mind if the plots are outrageous and probably would never happen, but I prefer that Nancy's (my!) actions actually make sense in the context of that plot. A somewhat-unfocused compilation of puzzle-solving doesn't give me that satisfaction.

Thanks to all who have signed so far, too!
                      gingerhorses
                      Last edited by gingerhorses; February 11, 2012, 12:52 PM.
                      Do you ever lose the plot among the puzzles? Sign the Petition for Plausible Progression!

Comment

I completely agree! I think it must be hard for HeR because so many people keep saying "More puzzles" and so they've been trying to do that. However, they need to make more sense. I think a lot of this would be fixed with a better plot line.
                        I do disagree with you slightly, reguarding the "someone left a trail of clues a long time ago and Nancy is the one who will now figure it all out!" plot lines. I think SHA is an example of this, and I really love this game. It seemed better to me to have some person from long ago leaving clues to follow, instead of the characters we talk to saying "do this" or something. But anyway, please sign me up. I really hope for a game with more believable cause and effects!
                        Cami

I'm in shock.
                        LoOk, I've got a b l a n k e t!

SHERLOCK

Comment

Originally posted by oceanianow View Post
                          I do disagree with you slightly, reguarding the "someone left a trail of clues a long time ago and Nancy is the one who will now figure it all out!" plot lines. I think SHA is an example of this, and I really love this game. It seemed better to me to have some person from long ago leaving clues to follow, instead of the characters we talk to saying "do this" or something. effects!
                          Cami

There are some games with this plot element that were handled subtly and artfully by the HeR writers. However, I worry that these plot lines allow for a quick descent into the "jump from puzzle to puzzle" writing trap if Nancy, for example, follows instructions from a diary about where to find each puzzle in order and how to solve it. It's OK sometimes, but I'm not keen on it becoming a major theme. At this point, if there were to be another game like that, I would think "Ah! But Nancy's already done this several times!" and it wouldn't be as exciting. I hope that helps to explain my reasoning a little better. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Comment

Yes, that makes more sense. A few times it has been done well, I believe, but I agree that it shouldn't been the starting point for more and more games. Good point!
                            I'm in shock.
                            LoOk, I've got a b l a n k e t!

SHERLOCK

Comment

Sign me up!
                              Frank: Well, Joe's driving at the moment, so I'm just jotting down some notes for my last will and testament...
                              Joe: Very funny, Frank.
                              ~from The Secret of the Scarlet Hand

..................................«·*¨¯)
                              .....................¸·*¨¯*×.,¸_¸,.×`
                              ....................(
                              .....................`×- *¨¯) Everyone deserves
                              ............·*¨¯¨*·.,¸_¸,.·` a chance to fly
                              ..........(
                              ...........`×- *¨¯) And if I'm flying solo,
                              ................¸.·` at least I'm flying free.
                              ...............( «·*¨¯)
                              ................` × · ` ©dg12

Games Completed
                              MHM|TRT|SSH|CAR|SHA|TRN|ICE
                              LCC

Comment

Working...
                              X