The Wreck of the "Santarem" [Portugal]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wreck of the "Santarem" [Portugal]

Okay, so I had this game idea for quite awhile but then Ransom of the Seven Ships, Captive Curse, and Shadow at Water’s Edge came out putting my idea in limbo since I incorporated scary bits into it. I decided that I soon share it anyway.

Basically, I did some research and found that there is not a Nancy Drew book of any sorts set in Portugal, my home country. I’ve always wanted a game to be set there and was hoping to find something but nada zilch zero. Yes, I was disappointed, but at the same time it gave me more liberty to come up with my own plot.

So, everyone, I introduce my game set in Portugal.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    NANCY DREW: WRECK OF THE SANTAREM

The town of Aveiro in northern Portugal. The town is located next to a lagoon that has a channel that connects it to the Atlantic Ocean. The town is sometimes called “The Portuguese Venice” because of the many man-made canals that criss-cross the municipality. Aveiro used to be a shipping port until tragedy struck. In the winter of 1575, a terrible storm closed the entrance to its port, ending a thriving trade in metals and tiles. The same storm also created a reef barrier at the Atlantic Ocean. The town died and the lagoon became bleak and marshy. In the 1800s, a breakwater was created using stones from the old city wall. Water flowed back into the lagoon and was just enough to receive the harbor. The town never recovered as a port since its fishing days were over. It reinvented itself as a haven for artists, writers, and craftsmen.

THE BACKGROUND FOR THE GAME...

Fast forward to present day 2012. The story of the game begins when 21 year-old Jonathan Hayden moves to artistic Aveiro, Portugal, to be closer to his Portuguese publishing firm along for the scenery to provide inspiration for his writing.. Jonathan has already published 3 mystery novels in Portugal, all of which have proved to be popular.
    He is currently working on his fourth novel. Jonathan used to live in the town of River Heights and was friends with the Nancy Drew gang. In fact he is a pen pal with Ned Nickerson. He sends emails to Ned every other week telling him of Portugal and its culture. Their friendship has grown to such an extent that Jonathan invites Ned, Nancy, Bess, and George to come over to Portugal to attend a gala event for the 1000th anniversary of Aveiro’s founding (it was founded by Arabs in the 10th century).
    Ned and the gang accept the invitation.
    They all arrive to Portugal and stay at a local pousada (a government-owned country inn).

HOW IT ALL BEGINS...

The gala event is underway. In fact, I had this idea that the game would have Nancy dancing with different people and talking with them as they danced. Suddenly there is a commotion outside the town auditorium. People are pointing at the town lighthouse, which has been lit up. The light is red, which is to warn town residents that a shipwreck has just occurred at the harbor. (The lighthouse will be one of the places you get to visit in the game). Jonathan Hayden goes with the crowd down to the harbor. Once there, everyone gasps.
    For on the beach is a heavily damaged portion of a wooden ship. On the side of the wood are the faintly painted letters “-TAREM.” Suddenly all the villagers are really frightened and begin whispering amongst themselves. They are beside themselves as they quickly disperse to the safety of their houses. No one wants to tell Nancy Drew why and what the letters mean.

BACK TO THE POUSADA

Fortunately, Jonathan knows a little of what goes on in the town. He gathers everyone and tells them a story…

A TALE OF LONG AGO

Long ago, in the late 1569, the Queen of Portugal ordered a galleon to be built at Aveiro. The ship was to be called the Santarem. The story is so old that no one quite remembers the details but it is said that the Santarem was the finest galleon to be built for the Portuguese Navy. It never made it to service in the Navy. For, after its completion in the spring of 1575, the ship made its maiden voyage with the Queen onboard. It traveled to the Azore Islands before returning. It was returning in the wintertime but it never made itoto the port of Aveiro. For in the winter of 1575, a superstorm hit the Aveiro district, destroying homes, taking lives, and closing the lagoon’s outlet to the sea.

After the storm came and went, it was assumed that the Santarem turned around and made it safely to another port. Soon, after Aveiro discovered that its lifeline to the sea had been cut, a fisherman found a dress floating in the sinking waters of the lagoon.

The dress was that of the Queen of Portugal.

The Santarem had sunk taking everything with it.

OUT THERE, SOMEWHERE...

The lagoon died, slowly turning to a marshy wasteland that no one dared go into for fear of getting lost and disappearing. For the next couple hundred years, old fishermen swore that they would see the ghost of the Queen floating above the fog-shrouded lagoon. Some said that she was searching for her beloved ship. Others whispered of a more fantastic prize—a treasure trove in the ship’s cargo. In that treasure trove was supposedly a box containing the Queen’s tiara, encrusted with 12 precious stones gathered from the best that the colonies had to offer. Treasure hunters have tried and failed to find the ship but the incidents kept happening. When the lighthouse was built, it would light up on its own. Fishermen were disappearing in the haunted lagoon. Superstitions increased. Whispers flew that a curse was placed upon the ship and who ever found it would curse the town…

And today, a piece of the wreck has washed ashore. That was why the villagers were worried. This story had been passed down from generation to generation. And now, the actual ship was back to haunt the town on its birthday.

And, Nancy Drew being present, how could she resist?

"DETECTIVE DREW AT YOUR SERVICE!"

Nancy Drew is up against several hundred years’ worth of mystery, legend, ghost tales, rumors, and rigid superstition. To add to the strangeness of the town atmosphere, its wintertime again in Aveiro--fog covers the town and lagoon most of the days. And, following the discovery at the beach, the town suffers extreme acts of vandalism to add to the “cursed town” aspect.

PLACES TO EXPLORE

--The Lighthouse
    --The Maritime Museum
    --The Harbor
    --The Sandbar (later in the game)
    --The Lagoon (Nancy would travel in her boat)
    --Most of the village would be explorable.

CHARACTERS TO PLAY AS...

••• Nancy Drew
    ••• Ned Nickerson (to snoop around like in Alibi in Ashes)
    ••• Bess Marvin (to snoop around…)
    ••• George Fayne (to snoop around…)
    ••• Jonathan Hayden (for interacting with the non-English speaking parts of town)

PHONE CHARACTERS

(using a Telecom card, the Portuguese international calling card)

••• Frank & Joe Hardy

••• Hannah Gruen (at the Drew residence)

••• Carson Drew (on his cellphone)

PEOPLE TO INTERACT WITH

(not necessarily Suspects)

••• Jorge Almado – curator of the Maritime Museum. If anyone would know the specific details of the legend, it would be him.

••• Iniz Cortes – mayor of the town of Aveiro. She is trying to hold the town together in the wake of legend of the shipwreck, a task proving to be extremely difficult. She is trying to explain that her town is safe while the wild acts of destruction continue.

••• Senhor Martin de Oliveira – the most respected fisherman in the area. Martin probably has the record for the most sightings of the Queen’s ghost while out in the lagoon. Many a tales he could tell…Later in the game, he will disappear in a storm.

••• Bruce Treverton – a renowned treasure hunter. He comes over to Aveiro after news of the piece of wreck goes out. And just because something isn't for sale, that's never stopped him from buying under the table.

••• Marisa Oliveira - Martin de Oliveira's niece. She is on vacation from the University of Coimbra down south. Marisa is very modern and thinks that all the superstitions are to be put to an end--even violently, if it has to come to that...

PIVOTAL GAME EVENTS

[not necessarily in order...]

••• The Pousada's servant quarters are set on fire.

••• Martin Oliveira disappears one night in the lagoon.

••• Bess and George go searching in the town archives about the ship.

••• George investigates on her own--she goes to the Maritime Museum and develops a relationship with the curator.

••• Nancy Drew sees the ghost of the Queen.

••• Exploring the Lagoon, particularly the walkable mudflats at low tide.

••• The Discovery of the Santarem

PUZZLES TO BE SOLVED

••• Dancing at the Gala Event: You would need to do two things at the same time: talk to your dance partner and keep up with the correct sequence of dance steps.

••• Put It Back Together: Finding broken pieces of an old compass all over town. The compass would be a clue to the final resting place of the Santarem.

••• For When Nancy Needs Money: Fixing cobblestone sidewalks in town to earn money.

SECOND CHANCE EVENTS

••• Going too far out into the lagoon where the tide takes you straight out to the ocean.

••• Injuring yourself in the lighthouse which is being renovated.

••• Not putting out the fire in the Pousada's servants quarters.

••• Not tying your boat to the pier when you come to shore. If this is done, the fisherman who lends you the boat gets really upset...very upset...

EXPANDED GAMEPLAY (Coming Soon...)

And this is all I could think of at the moment. I’ll add more as I go.

Until then, please give me your first impressions. What do you think?

PETITION

1) Baron of Braganza
    2) HaRdY lOvErS
    3) Togo820
    4) Sunset
    5) Gummibear99
    6) NarniaFan2012
    7) secretariat
    8) thenancydrewfan
    9) ZycaZongo
    10) horselover23
    11) alyrich2
    12) ...
    13) ...
    14) ...
    15) ...
    16) ...
    17) ...
    18) ..,
    19) ...
    20) ...
    Last edited by Baron of Braganza; October 21, 2013, 08:06 AM. Reason: Added Signatures
    COMING SOON!
    River of DeceitUnder the Alaskan Sun
    The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

sounds good! lots of detail there!! sign me up!!
    How DARE you stand where he stood!
    Tell them how it HAPPENED that night.
    How you looked him in the EYE, a man who trusted you,
    and killed HIM.

-Harry Potter

¦ *·.¸ "oF course IT Is HaPPenInG
    .I
    nsIDe Your HeaD, BuT wHY on
    .earTH sHouLD THaT mean THaT
    .IT I
    s noT reaL?".....
    «·.,¸_¸,.·*¨¯¨* ¦
    .......-- aLBus DumBLeDore

Thanks to LOSTforever23!

Comment

Thank you. I'm still trying to develop a more cohesive plot. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing and listening
      COMING SOON!
      The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I.Love.This. Awesome idea! Sign me up!

-Rachel
        Send Nancy To Colonial Williamsburg

Comment

Thank you, Togo. I think the part that would be really cool would Nancy Drew at the Gala Event, dancing with villagers. It could be like a puzzle where you have to select certain dance moves as well as keeping up the conversation.
          COMING SOON!
          The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I think it sounds awesome! I especially like the storyline, and that we'd get to explore a whole village. Most of the time, Nancy is more or less stuck in one building. It'll be nice to move around. Sign me up!

Comment

I've signed you guys all up for the petition. I've also added a "Second Chance" segment to the story and expanded some of the plot.
              COMING SOON!
              The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

Seriously you need to be a writer! Sign me up:)
                [

Comment

Ironically, I am a writer
                  COMING SOON!
                  The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I've added a bit more detail to the plot. Hope you guys like it!
                    COMING SOON!
                    The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I've added some more second chances, description, phone characters, and gameplay is coming soon.
                      Please feel free to make suggestions!
                      COMING SOON!
                      The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

Great idea!!! Sign me up!
                        Y'all
                        A famous word for us Southerners

Thanks NDGirl12182 for the hilarious signature! Lol!

Comment

I've added you NarniaFan. Thank you for the support-- if you have any ideas for improvement, please do. I have the "beginnings" of the plot but I need to develop it to a satisfying resolution.

Also, I'm going to include some bits of conversations that you can have with suspects :)
                          Last edited by Baron of Braganza; September 12, 2012, 09:01 AM.
                          COMING SOON!
                          The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I. Love. This. Story!!!!! Sign me up! You should seriously get a job at HeR and write the game plots for them. All your things are Awesome!
                            .............I will ride,.................. ..•*¨¯¨*•.
                            ..........I will fly,.............•*¨¯¨*•.¸(........·-·’
                            ......chase the wind....‘·-·.........)
                            ..and touch the sky............¸•’
                            ...©dg12+Spaghetti..¤¨¯¨+ .¸ _ ¸.+’ .

Comment

I'll sign! Sounds like a good idea! I hope HeR sees this!
                              .¸+*¨¯¨*+¸…………two years and just like that,..…¸+*¨¯¨*+¸
                              ((……*·-·'.….my head still takes me back.……….((……*·-·'
                              .`+¸.'and sing this lie, that's halfway mine.…'.………..`+.¸
                              ….))….…………'……………¸+*¨¯¨*+¸…..…))
                              .¸+´¸×*¨¯¨*׸+*¨¯¨*+¸…..……'·-·*……))….¸+´
                              (('·--·*…..))…..*·-·'..¸+*¨¯¨*+.,¸_¸,.+´…..(
                              .``+.,¸__¸,.+´…..……(……..'…(….…..¸+*¨¯¨*+¸
                              '…¸+*¨¯¨*+¸…..''…¸×*¨¯¨*׸…'..`+¸…'.'·-·*…''..))
                              '..((……*·-·'………'·--·*..…))…''..…`+.,¸__¸,.+´´
                              '…`+.,¸__¸,.+*¨¯¨*+.,¸_¸,.+´®ND

Comment

Working...
                              X