• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayday on Flight 318

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Based in part on The Sky Phantom [Nancy Drew Original Hardcover #53]

"Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of Excello Airlines, thank you for choosing to fly with us today. At this time, please make sure that all of the seats are in an upright position and that--
    *SCREECH/CRASH*
    *SCREAMING OVER INTERCOM*
    *COMMOTION HEARD OVER INTERCOM--THE INTERCOM BECOMES STATIC AS A NEW DIM VOICE SPEAKS*
    "Don't listen to them! They'll never get away with it! I made this plane! GET OFF MY PLANE!"

It's up to you as Nancy Drew...

A simple transatlantic flight from Boston to Europe would never have captured the imagination of the media on its own....
    It was a flight to remember: a renovated and famed DeHavilland SuperJet has been brought out in celebration of Excello Airlines' forthcoming anniversary. On its 75th anniversary, Excello Airlines is still in full flight, providing quality flying service to passengers.

But the plane's strange past and present gossip are also in full flight. Already there is turbulence in the air--or rather to the head. Albeit, the bludgeoned seasoned pilot who couldnt remember his own name was scandalous enough, no one imagined what horrors and terrors awaited them onboard the newly-furnished DeHavilland. A flight turns perilous as ghostly lights and strange shadows are spotted around the jet. People become frightened, fingers are pointed, and a new mystery causes Nancy Drew to ignore the "Do Not Unfasten Seatbelt" sign.

There were so many questions that needed answers. Just what had happened over the Intercom? It sounded like a struggle--a fight--a heist--a story-- and this mysterious DeHavilland brought out of retirement to commonerate the 75th anniversary of Excello Airlines.

But now the strange eerie sounds and visions have actually hurt someone.
    A passenger now lies unconscious and the special flight co-pilot is having fits of hysteria while experiencing what he calls "painful amnesia". But the close proximity of suspects and the limited onboard space creates a ticking time bomb. Who are these assorted mix of passengers? And which one of them is responsible?

Perhaps it was no one--before the 75th anniversary even began, some people at Excello Airlines were reluctant to bring out the shadowy DeHavilland, hidden away at an almost forgotten hangar. The plane is as eccentric as its deceased designer, a introvert by the name of Jefferson DeHavilland. The designer left his mark to such a point that people joked that he could bring the plane "alive".

Everyone stopped laughing when people started to get hurt.

Before being retired from passenger service, customers always claimed that the plane had a creepy atmosphere even though it looked exactly alike the other planes that Excello Airlines own. Children always cry after looking the plane-windows. They would later say that it was because the man standing on the wing was sneering at them before disappearing.
    Passengers report having whole conversations with people sitting next to them only to find out later that no one had ever been there...

And things start off a perplexing mystery...

Flight 318 has declared Mayday, and Nancy Drew is onboard!

And at thousands of feet up in the air, it's more dangerous than what was imagined.

A FEW GOOD CHARACTERS

~~~THE PASSENGERS~~~

Helen Corning
    [Playable Character]

An old friend of Nancy's. She got married and had moved to Europe with her new husband. She recently returned to visit Hannah Gruen in River Heights. Discovering that Nancy was on her way to Europe anyway, Helen decided to travel with Nancy and chose a flight on the DeHavilland SuperJet for both. Helen is also an unexpected acquintance of Vanessa DeHavilland. The two of them had sat next to each other on Hannah's flight from Europe two weeks before.

Vanessa DeHavilland
    Vanessa is a blonde twenty-two year old who has had a bit too much sorrow already for such a young life. She lost her mother at a young age and her father, Jefferson DeHavilland, who had worked himself to death. Vanessa's father was the genius behind the DeHavilland plane. When the airline took the project and the credit from him, it broke his heart. After her father's death, Vanessa was determined to fight for the recognition that her father deserved, no matter the consequences...

Brad Fisher
    Brad is an enterprising and innovative entrepreneur of the old and the new. He has recently become the new CEO for the Excelliand Company, who owns both the DeHavilland planes and the airline. A cloud of suspicions surround the succession of Excelliand CEOs. Brad Fisher was always in the shadow of the former Norman Fauntelier until Norman unexpextedly stepped down for unknown reasons.

It had been Brad Fisher's idea to find the old retired plane, restore to its former glory, and to add all the modern technology in the background. But the sudden steering of the company into a new direction didn't come without making enemies. And when a plane is full of them, it can become very uncomfortable very soon...

Amyas Fauntelier
    Tabloids love him. Investors hate him. The son of the former CEO of the Excelliand Company. Amyas is a young socialite who knows what society expects of the soon millionaire-to-be. He was born into the blue-blood world of glam and riches. He is known for trying new things, trying to find some type of satisfaction other than in money.

He admits that with money "I have far too much; the few things that I truly need are not for sale." However, he is conflicted when he recently met a ghost-hunting stewardess whom he slowly fell in love with. And society doesn't exactly like a "voluntary riches-to-rags" story.

Major Frank Cairn
    A robust and flagrant Australian with a taste for the weird and for horse-racing. In fact, the current news of the day is the grand theft of Lord Eyre, the champion horse from Melbourne, Australia. What was strange was a factual contradiction. Everyone sincerely believed that Major Cairn was currently back home, clueless to the fact that a "Major Cairn" was actually on his way to England to compete in the upcoming derby. And the horse Lord Eyre is on board the haunted airplane when it should have been stolen.

~~~THE CREW~~~

Jonah von Sprekan
    A native of Switzerland, Jonah is one of the flight attendants on duty. He is the designated attendant for first class. He is outspoken, patient, and too easily lured to distractions. A lover of classical music, a connoisseur in detective fiction, and shrewd knack for placing his nose where it doesnt belong. He takes a unusual liking to Nancy...that and he looks vaguely familiar. And Nancy could have sworn she heard him mention about his brother, a "hardy" sort of fellow, as Jonah described him.

Chloe Easton
    Chloe is in charge of Economy Class. She is a hard worker to the point where she has to "relearn" how to have a bit of fun every once in awhile. She tends to keep to herself but thats due more to the fact that her past is written all over her. Working long hours and doing double shift duty while globe-trotting can keep the past at bay. Eventually it catches up...

When the strange events begin happening on the DeHavilland SuperJet, she isn't too concerned about it. Having once been on a ghost-hunting team and seen everything, the paranormal no longer scares her. She's seen this sort of thing happen before--her ghost-hunting team had once investigated the old hangar and the slumbering DeHavilland SuperJet in it. So harrowing was the experience, the team broke up immediately after. Only Chloe remained behind...

Besides, her lover is onboard to protect her. But past experiences secretly keeps her from revealing the end result to anyone else.

~~~PHONE CHARACTERS~~~

Bess Marvin & George Fayne

Ned Nickerson

Joe Hardy
    Only Joe is there to answer your call. Frank Hardy is off on a lone mission for the ATAC. Strangely enough, Joe Hardy is clearly evasive when it comes to what that mission is...and where...

GAME...SET....GO!!! [Gameplay]

• Nancy Drew and Helen Corning board the DeHavilland SuperJet at Boston's Logan International Airport.

• A commotion at a press conference where a ghostly voice scares the reporters.

• While in midair, the co-pilot will be found unconscious in the lavatory. When he comes to, he won't know what happened. In fact, whenever the pilot tries to remember anything, he gets a splitting headache.

• At one point in the game, the plane will quickly suffer loss of cabin pressure, resulting in passengers having to use oxygen masks.

OOPS! I THINK I MADE A BOO-BOO! [Second Chances]

• Opening the Emergency Exit any time other than in an emergency. You know that sudden compulsion to open it in mid flight? DON'T.

• Later in the game, when there's a sudden loss of cabin pressure, you need to get to an oxygen mask and put on right in time. Otherwise, the lack of air will make Nancy giddy, sleepy, and unconscious...
    THE SOUND OF MUSIC [Soundtrack]

I've been giving what the game soundtrack should sound like some thought. I've decided to come up with proposed track titles and what should be conveyed with each.

FLIGHT
    This piece should be a fun piece. It should remind us of the past days where flying wasn't so much a chore but an adventure. With this piece, we should picture a plane taking off like its a piece of engineering ingenuity.

ALTITUDE
    This should be a serene piece. The plane is thousands of feet up in the air. For being so high up, millions of people around the world trust planes to keep them safe at such a ultra dangerous height. We feel peaceful and somewhat relaxed.

MANIFEST
    Each airline is required by law to keep something called a passenger manifest. For every flight, they have to write down whose onboard--should anything go wrong. I was thinking that this could also apply to Nancy during her "in-flight" investigation. She's sees the different passengers and notes down her observations for reference. Think of it as her suspect manifest, so to speak.

DARK SKIES
    A suspenseful piece with a dash of a turbulent tone. Think of Nancy being in danger...but on a plane.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS [Case Art]

I've decided to finally try to describe how I imagine the cover. I was thinking of it showing an airliner surrounded by dark skies. This would suggest that the plane is forced to fly in stormy weather. It would also suggest turbulence--both in flying and in the mystery. The cover would be a side view of the airliner with clear outlines if the suspects appearing in the windows. Each is doing something different that looks suspicious. Also the cover would feature some ethereal glow to suggest a haunted plane and to make it look more mysterious.

SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE, PLEASE!

PETITION

1) Baron of Braganza
    2) mysterylover11
    3) SherlockSleuth9
    4) CrazyBob
    5) disneygirl12
    6) Cranberry
    7) Zaire Brïsbane
    8) nancydrewfan225
    9) ericahorse123
    10) NancyDrew119
    11) St. Susan
    12) horselover23
    13) Bluemustanggirl
    14) EKG1000
    15) Grace2000
    16) ~Snuggle Girl~
    17) secretariat
    18) Moonsault
    19) Togo0307
    20) ZycaZongo
    21) alyrich2
    22) emibeee
    23) cinemaknight
    24) sassyvicki1231
    25) Nancydrewgirl03
    26) girlsolver55
    27) FancyNancy16
    28) ...
    29) ...
    30) ...
    31) ...
    32) ...
    33) ...
    34) ...
    35) ...
    36) ...
    37) ...
    38) ..,
    39) ...
    40) ...
    Last edited by Baron of Braganza; August 20, 2017, 02:03 AM. Reason: Added Soundtrack
    COMING SOON!
    River of DeceitUnder the Alaskan Sun
    The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

W-O-W!!!! I absolutely love your idea! It's very original, and I can definetly see a future HeR game based off that plot. Plus, that summary was really really good. Seriously. HeR should consider hiring you for writing their game trailers haha. ;) Sign me up!
    But, Thornton Hall isn’t exactly a breath of fresh air.
    The murky air and the shadows that followed only seemed to muddle my brain more.
    The possibility that Clara’s death was not murder was starting to become more than a plain consideration.
    <<.return home.>> is coming back to the alternate ending boards
    SEPTEMBER

(in the meanwhile, catch up on chapters 1-9 here)
    stay tuned... ;-)

mylo

prayers for the world

Comment

Thank you. I thought that since HerInteractive already had a game on a train, and then they were planning to have a game on a ship, then why not on a plane?
      COMING SOON!
      The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I love the plane idea!! It's so cool and original!!
        There's also so much that you can do with that plotline. So many different things could happen and so many different people could be suspects!
        Great idea!!
        .....My name is..............¸*¨¯¨*¸
        .....Sherlock Holmes........*-*....)).it is my
        .¸*¨¯¨*¸.......and......((¯¨`.,¸_¸,.´...business
        ((....*-* ¸*¨¯¨*¸.......)...to know what other
        .`.,¸_¸,.*...........*-*...people don't know.”

Comment

I like this idea a lot; sign me please!
          “Once you set your dreams in motion, there’s no way they’re ever going to slow down— unless acted upon by an outside force, according to Newton's Law of Inertia. Don’t let anybody or anything be that outside force.”
          - K A T R I N A

When you lose someone you love at a young age, you start to realize how important it is to get outside and experience the world, sooner than later. So I just wanted to let you all know that I won't be on the boards much anymore. Though I love interacting with you guys on the computer, outside of this computer there's so much more... Life's precious; do cherish it. ♥

Comment

AMAZING idea! This sounds like it would make for a really great game! Plus, I've been hoping for a mystery somehow and someway that took place on an airplane. :D

Please sign me up; this is a great idea!
            .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
            ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
            ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
            ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Yes, this is an amazing idea! Reps for you!
              This plot sounds so intriguing and spooky! I wouldn't mind only being able to explore the plane as long as there were lots of suspects and things to do. The game should be really spooky to make up for it, though. This sounds awesome, though. A game in the air!
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Wade: "Life is a quest for truth, is it not? And death has a way of stripping away all pretensions."
              Nancy: "That's pretty philosophical for a guy wearing boots." - GTH
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Abdullah: "I don't leave the house for anything less than amazing." - TMB
              Abdullah: "If you do not have enough faith in humans to believe that we invented pushing, dragging, and lifting without the help of aliens, you are terminally wrong and incredibly stupid. We will never agree on anything." - TMB
              Abdullah: "I am Abdullah Bakhoum. Curses have no power over me." - TMB
              Professor Hotchkiss: "The best part about ancient Egyptian names is that there are no ancient Egyptians around to correct your pronunciation." - TMB

Comment

Thanks everyone! Right now I need to come up with characters. Anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of having an executive from Excello Airlines on board for what was supposed to be a special 75th anniversary celebratory flight. Then the daughter of the deceased plane designer.
                Any others you guys would like to see?
                COMING SOON!
                The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

I think having a kid on board would be fun. I love having kids in the games because -- well, I am one! :P And maybe someone from Australia... I dunno. >.<
                  Wade: "Life is a quest for truth, is it not? And death has a way of stripping away all pretensions."
                  Abdullah: "If you do not have enough faith in humans to believe that we invented pushing, dragging, and lifting without the help of aliens, you are terminally wrong and incredibly stupid. We will never agree on anything." - TMB
                  Professor Hotchkiss: "The best part about ancient Egyptian names is that there are no ancient Egyptians around to correct your pronunciation." - TMB

Comment

Those are both great ideas! As soon as I can I'll add a brief note about them.
                    COMING SOON!
                    The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

Hm, maybe there are some characters from the book that could be included?

I think the ideas of having a kid on board, and possibly an Australian, sound interesting! :D
                      .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
                      ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
                      ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
                      ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
                        Hm, maybe there are some characters from the book that could be included?

I think the ideas of having a kid on board, and possibly an Australian, sound interesting! :D
                        Haha, thanks Disney! Yeah, maybe they could include like Helen Corning since so many people want to see her and she's never been in a game yet in the books she plays a big part in Nancy's mysteries.

Comment

You could always have a flight attendant as a suspect or maybe other ppl working on the plane!
                          .....My name is..............¸*¨¯¨*¸
                          .....Sherlock Holmes........*-*....)).it is my
                          .¸*¨¯¨*¸.......and......((¯¨`.,¸_¸,.´...business
                          ((....*-* ¸*¨¯¨*¸.......)...to know what other
                          .`.,¸_¸,.*...........*-*...people don't know.”

Comment

Thank you everyone for your awesome support so far!
                            I've made several changes and more are coming!

• I added more characters and subcategories! There are passengers, the crew, and phone friends.

• HELLO HELEN CORNING! Helen is on her way back to Europe and decided to fly out with Nancy! Also I think it would be cool to switch between characters.

• More of a fleshed-out plot! I'm working on it and I'll introduce bit by bit in the gameplay part. You're more than welcomed to help me with plot points!
                            Last edited by Baron of Braganza; October 10, 2012, 04:27 AM. Reason: Gameplay Idea
                            COMING SOON!
                            The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

More Gameplay Expansion

I've made several more changes, everyone!

• I changed the plane to a "SuperJet" (think of a hybrid between a Boeing 787 and the Airbus A380).

• I changed the flight from one in the Midwest to a transatlantic flight from Boston to Europe. The reasons are simple. First, a longer flight to investigate on. Second, rumor has it had that ND28 maybe in Salem, Massachusetts. So I thought if it was, then to provide a form of continuity to the game series I would have Nancy leave from nearby Boston. And, for plausibility, Boston's Logan International Airport would be able to support such a large aircraft.
                              COMING SOON!
                              The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

Working...
                              X