+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Inspired by the
    Iceland Insight Guide
    [Discovery Channel Guidebooks]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    OFF THE MAP

Situated on the Arctic Circle, the island of Grimsey is a remote outpost, home to huge colonies of seabirds and just under 100 islanders.

A CHECKERED PAST

Grimsey has one of the strangest histories in Iceland, settled by chess-playing Vikings and supported by a 19th century American millionaire. First settled in the 10th century by a Viking named Grimur (hence the name Grim’s Island), whose descendants took the obsession of chess to new extremes. Tradition has it that long summers and longer winters were spent devoted to the game. Here, chess was the breath of life. It was not unknown for a player to fling himself into the sea rather than bear the shame of defeat.

The island struggled to prosper and was on the verge of collapse...

...AND THEN CAME FISKE

Then, in the late 19th century, the island’s eccentric reputation was brought to the attention of a wealthy North American named Daniel Willard Fiske--prominent journalist, Old Icelandic scholar, friend to both the Icelandic independece hero Jon Sigurdsson and the writer Mark Twain, and chess champion of the United States. Although Fiske only saw the shores of Grimsey as he passed by it in a steamship, the island fired his vivid imagination. He decided to adopt the island.

ELEVEN TREASURES

The first thing that Fiske did was to sent a priceless gift: one chess set to the each of the eleven farms on the island. Today, only one is left at the small community center. Ask the villagers about the rest and you’ll discover that no one will know where the rest have gone.

THE MODERN-DAY TOURNAMENT

The small island of Grimsey has been chosen to host a major international chess tournament. Looking at its past, the art of chess-playing is as old as the Icelandic sagas. Bisected by an imaginary line, Grimsey is a lonely place situated on the Arctic Circle. To the south lays Iceland--to the north, a ice-choked wasteland of a sea. It is here that the best chess players in the world will convene.

Having acquired an extraordinary understanding of the game, George Fayne has been selected as the American delegate to be sent to Grimsey and to be on the international panel of judges, an honor in which she will be observing the matches and scoring them. Rallying behind her with full support are her cousin Bess Marvin and her close friends, Ned Nickerson and Nancy Drew.

ALL IS NOT WELL

Like the bleak terrain that the games are set in, all is not well in tiny Grimsey.

Already a storm has cut off access to the mainland, leaving the judges, the contestants, and the hundred islanders alone for at least a week.

What’s worse is that George Fayne is alone--the ferry that was supposed to bring her friends to the island couldn’t make it in the storm--nor will it for days still. But the storm is the least of George’s troubles.

Something strange is happening on Grimsey.

First, two of the best young players in the world -- Greta van Leeuwen and Donna Winston -- are set to face off in a battle of wits and nerves. But as George soon discovers, the action isn't just on the game board. Immediately, someone deliberately ruins the opening ceremony. Then Greta's sister mysteriously disappears! And when you’re surrounded by icy water all around, the prospects are bleak.

Until an anonymous note suddenly is posted on a chessboard, threatening the life of Greta's sister unless "Fiske's eleven treasures" are returned to the mysterious island which they came from. Greta must win the tournament and find the long-lost chess sets if she wants to see her sister alive again, and as the tournament progresses, the tension builds. The kidnapper is a grand master of menace and deception, and it's up to George to make all the right moves in this deadly game. But the game is not merely the tournament--its in finding the long-lost jeweled marble chess sets that are as much a part of Grimsey’s history as the midnight sun.

PETITION

1) Baron of Braganza
    2) fancynancy94
    3) St. Susan
    4) ZycaZongo
    5) secretariat
    6) sleuthmcb
    7) ...
    8) ...
    9) ...
    10) ...
    11) ...
    12) ...
    13) ...
    14) ...
    15) ...
    16) ...
    17) ...
    18) ..,
    19) ...
    20) ...
    Last edited by Baron of Braganza; August 6, 2017, 08:22 PM. Reason: Added Signatures
    COMING SOON!
    River of DeceitUnder the Alaskan Sun
    The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

cool sign me up!

Comment

Sign me up!

Sign me up!
      ~St. Susan
      “If we find ourselves with a desire____.
      that nothing in this world can satisfy,

the most probable explanation is that
      we were made for another world.”
      __________________~ C.S. Lewis

Images are not allowed on the boards. "He reveals mysteries from the darkness And brings the deep darkness into light."- Job 12:22Images are not allowed on the boards.

Comment

I actually had a hard time with this idea. It's still seems a bit clunky but I can try to smooth it out. Maybe it was combining a book into a new location :/
        Last edited by Baron of Braganza; September 21, 2013, 03:53 AM.
        COMING SOON!
        The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

sign me upp

Comment

sign me up
            .............I will ride,.................. ..•*¨¯¨*•.
            ..........I will fly,.............•*¨¯¨*•.¸(........·-·’
            ......chase the wind....‘·-·.........)
            ..and touch the sky............¸•’
            ...©dg12+Spaghetti..¤¨¯¨+ .¸ _ ¸.+’ .

Comment

Sound amazing. Love Iceland even though I've never been. Sign me up.
              SLEUTHMCB

Comment

I smoothed out the story a bit. Although we've already been to Iceland maybe H.I. can use the idea at another location.
                COMING SOON!
                The Whispering Statue

Supported Petitions

My Game Suggestions

Comment

Working...
                X