Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

28 Games and We Know Nothing of Nancy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 Games and We Know Nothing of Nancy...

I find it funny how, after 28 games of Nancy Drew, we really haven't dived into Nancy's character. (With the exception of the upcoming installment, The Silent Spy)

In my honest opinion, instead of thinking about "where" Nancy should go next, we should think about how Nancy develops as a character in the next games.

Without further ado, here's my new edition of: The Top 4 Things to Improve the Nancy Drew games...

Number 1: The Use of Subplots
    You would think that after 28 games of Nancy Drew that there would be plenty of drama, romance, and action going on to fill the pages of plenty of books. Unfortunately, I believe that is not the case. The only real subplot that I've noticed in Nancy Drew games is the reference of Sonny June, who doesn't appear in every game anyways. That's why when we saw the trailer to Silent Spy, we were caught off guard. There really hasn't been a Nancy Drew game that offers a subplot drama before.

Number 2: Lead Up to a Big Finish!
    You know in a television series, when you can't wait for the season finale? Even after watching the first episode?
    That's how the Nancy Drew games should be. Instead of saying Nancy Drew #30, why not say "Nancy Drew Series #3: Case 1" That way, HeR could incorporate subplots into each of their games and carry them over in that individual series. (And players don't have to go and play game #2 in order to understand game #14 and so on)
    For example, RAN would be considered the start of Nancy Drew Series #2: Case 1. WAV would be Case 2, and so forth. While each of the games should still have their own mini-mysteries, there should be some grandeur, giant mystery in the process as well. Which leads to my next point...

Number 3: Cases that Connect
    Okay, I understand that it would be awesome for Nancy to go to outer space, China, Egypt, and everywhere else. But what's the point when the cases that she's assigned to are so random?
    I feel like Nancy should have more of a reason to go to Egypt than to job shadow. At least in GTH, Savannah (a creative use of subplot) hires Nancy to solve a case for her. Regardless, the individual cases should have more sustenance in terms of how they impact Nancy as a character and future cases in the series.

Number 4: The Possibility that Nancy Drew Mysteries aren't here forever...
    I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but let's face it. There will be a time when there's going to be so many Nancy Drew games, HeR Interactive is going to say "Sorry, we ran out of ideas for the next game, but why don't you check out our other 263 games!"

Nancy Drew games are getting better. GTH and DED were huge steps up from the norm of Nancy Drew games that have been coming out. The writing is getting better, the animations are getting better, even the puzzles are more intriguing.
    HeR just needs to realize that they need to think of their Nancy Drew series like one big story; and not an independent, jumbled mess of smaller stories. Everything should be connected, cases should collide, there should be a reason that Nancy is in Glasgo for Silent Spy and not somewhere else around the world. Same goes for all future cases.

Nancy Drew games can't be "vacations" to places anymore, they need to be mysteries, what they were meant to be in the first place.
    Last edited by Det.JA; June 12, 2013, 01:40 PM.
    You are speaking with an
    Official Member of S.P.I.E.D.

You bring up some interesting points here.

Originally posted by Det.JA View Post
    B]Number 1: The Use of Subplots[/B]
    You would think that after 28 games of Nancy Drew that there would be plenty of drama, romance, and action going on to fill the pages of plenty of books. Unfortunately, I believe that is not the case. The only real subplot that I've noticed in Nancy Drew games is the reference of Sonny June, who doesn't appear in every game anyways. That's why when we saw the trailer to Silent Spy, we were caught off guard. There really hasn't been a Nancy Drew game that offers a subplot drama before.

Though, I think the problem with making cases too connected is a big one: new players. Not everyone has necessarily played every game, and every game in order at that. I think it may be a turn off from some players if they realized they had to buy the entire series in order to understand what's going on in the most recent game. Though I personally would like to see HER do more with Sonny and Samantha in the future.

My opinions do differ substantially from you on the quality of new games (I believe they are declining in intrigue and cohesiveness) so while I agree somewhat on HER including more universal subplots, I'd love to see them start using subplots within individual games again first.

I feel like Nancy should have more of a reason to go to Egypt than to job shadow.
    ^^THIS. I feel the same exact way. Though I don't think it was just the beginning of the game, I feel the whole game was written somewhat haphazardly...

I don't think there is anything wrong with Nancy stumbling onto a mystery once and awhile, I get what you're saying about "vacations". Though I feel like if the plot of the game is well put together as it, anything to start off the mystery will do. As long as the "vacation" doesn't seem like a cop out because nothing better could be thought of, it can work.

It would be interesting though, to see what it would be like if HER made their games more like a TV series, and more centered around veteran players. Interesting thread!
    It's never too late to be who you might have been...[ George Eliot ]

reviews:TMBxASHxCAPxSAWxRANxHAUxVEN

Comment

Nancy Drew games can't be "vacations" to places anymore, they need to be mysteries, what they were meant to be in the first place.
      I couldn't agree more with this! It's almost degrading that a dectective with as much experience as Nancy to still be "stumbling across" cases. I know it's her story, but it how cool would it be if she could get hired at an agency or something along those lines? I mean the Hardy Boys have been before. I know they were in CRE and I think I remember them mentioning something about it in TOT? Anyways, if you happen to start a petition, sign me up! I always love reading your threads, you have such good points!
      Basically my feelings on everything

Comment

Working...
      X