Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear HeR Interactive: When we want 'the old games back', here is what we mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree this is one of the best threads. I really hope the games will go back to how good and memorable they use to be, then again i've been wishing that same wish for way too long it seems.
    Last edited by SleuthinItOut; December 24, 2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

In Agreement with the Post

Great post and the ideas and suggestions have good meaning. We need the old style games back.
      When In Doubt
      Get a Bigger Boat
      i i i
      Made By: Hermes

Smile
      It confuses people.

Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by nancy'stwin View Post
        Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I miss dialing the phones, lol. It just made it so real. Also, in LIE you can't go through a desk that's right in front of you. Wouldn't Nancy want to just take a peek? Plus it add to the "sleuthing" feeling and it goes back to her old motto "Everyone is a suspect." I'm also hoping there's a hidden Koko Kringle stash in the next game, or the other Wickford candies that were in Twister and Deadly Device. Btw, does anyone know what's going on with Bess and George???? I miss them the most. I have two best friends that are just like them too, lol.
        I agree. I liked dialing phones. It felt so much more realistic and old-fashioned. With the smart phone we have now, Nancy feels so modern.
        And 100% agreed on the snooping. Nancy doesn't seem nearly as curious as she used to be. I've gotten the vibe on a couple of occasions that she doesn't even want to solve the mystery that was laid before her. She was like that in the Case Files book series sometimes, but HeR usually makes her happy to solve mysteries and glad to be able to help people. She doesn't seem to care as much anymore.
        Yes, more Wickford candy! I was so disappointed that there wasn't any in MED -- and Sonny was in it! Made no sense. Also, as much as I like Jovic Tech as a cookie to DED, what happened to Krolmeister? They used to make everything. Now Jovic Tech is taking over....
        Well, Bess and George were in MED. If you mean that you miss them because they don't really act the same way that they used to, I can definitely see that; especially with Bess. And Joe has been a little over the top lately too. These two used to make me laugh but now I almost cringe.

Originally posted by NDsolver<3 View Post
        Royal Payne!
        all I can say is WOW! this is a really awesome Thread!
        Thank you!

Originally posted by SleuthinItOut View Post
        I agree this is one of the best threads. I really hope the games will go back to how good and memorable they use to be, then again i've been wishing that same wish for way too long it seems.
        Thank you! And I agree. I read where we are getting the conversation options back, so that seems like a plus; but then Lani is gone, so I have such mixed emotions about the future games.

Originally posted by WiseRaven48 View Post
        Great post and the ideas and suggestions have good meaning. We need the old style games back.
        Thank you! I like discussing these things; I hope HeR is paying attention to our requests. (Being the optimist with experience that I am -- they probably are not. But a girl can hope, right?)
        Last edited by Royal Payne; December 24, 2014, 07:08 PM.
        Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

This is a great thread! Let me emphasize again that we really don't want Lani gone.
          [Stop homophobia]

Comment

Listening to fans is probably the best choice (and REALLY listening) that any company or product can make, if you don't listen to your fans you will alienate your whole fan base, you will lose customers, you will lose profit, and thus you will lose a lot of your foundation.

Without foundation, you will eventually fail.

I am very surprised to see the discontent with these games but I actually am on that side, the more I think about it, the more I agree.

I do think that a lot of the gameplay choices (the conversation skipper is useful if you accidently lost focus and dont' want to re-hear the whole conversation, or yoru game crashed unexpectedly and you have to go through the conversation again).

I do find the hint/solution VERY useful as I hate reading the walkthroughs since I feel like I haven't done it on my own entierely (and they contain more spoilers either way) but I DO like the sub-plots with Bess, George and Ned (anybody remember Ned's and Nancy's relationship issues, don't know which game it was, but it was very nice to hear it).

There's nothing worse than seeing something you love decline in quality, but if the HER interactive truly has such a small amount of employees (from what I read they have somewhere above 25? Don't think they have that many employees unless what I read was outtdated) then you should really focus more on what their fans want.

I was disappointed with MED, and I don't recall LIE making a lasting impression for me... but I do find SEA intriguing to say the least.

The more I think about the more I notice that the game's vary largely from the old ones, I might've played theses games only for about three or so years (well, less, MED was the first game I purchased before it was released), I have ejoyed every game and would hate to see it become bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost+Dreaming View Post
              This is a great thread! Let me emphasize again that we really don't want Lani gone.
              Thank you! And I 100% agree. I don't want Lani gone.

Originally posted by JohnBigOz View Post
              Listening to fans is probably the best choice (and REALLY listening) that any company or product can make, if you don't listen to your fans you will alienate your whole fan base, you will lose customers, you will lose profit, and thus you will lose a lot of your foundation.

Without foundation, you will eventually fail.

I am very surprised to see the discontent with these games but I actually am on that side, the more I think about it, the more I agree.

I do think that a lot of the gameplay choices (the conversation skipper is useful if you accidently lost focus and dont' want to re-hear the whole conversation, or yoru game crashed unexpectedly and you have to go through the conversation again).

I do find the hint/solution VERY useful as I hate reading the walkthroughs since I feel like I haven't done it on my own entierely (and they contain more spoilers either way) but I DO like the sub-plots with Bess, George and Ned (anybody remember Ned's and Nancy's relationship issues, don't know which game it was, but it was very nice to hear it).

There's nothing worse than seeing something you love decline in quality, but if the HER interactive truly has such a small amount of employees (from what I read they have somewhere above 25? Don't think they have that many employees unless what I read was outtdated) then you should really focus more on what their fans want.

I was disappointed with MED, and I don't recall LIE making a lasting impression for me... but I do find SEA intriguing to say the least.

The more I think about the more I notice that the game's vary largely from the old ones, I might've played theses games only for about three or so years (well, less, MED was the first game I purchased before it was released), I have ejoyed every game and would hate to see it become bad.
              I actually enjoyed LIE, but it also wasn't nearly as good as the earlier games. After I played it, I actually thought that HeR was going in the right direction. And then they fired Lani.

After about DAN, it felt like the games have been hit or miss. On most of the games, after I replay it I find that I liked it more than I thought I did, but with TMB, SPY and MED, I really don't even want to replay it. (Though I might try to replay TMB sometime soon. The puzzles drive me crazy the first time around!)

I don't mind the skip conversation button being there. I have used it on replays before, especially if I was in a hurry to get to a certain part of the game.

I don't mind the hints being there either, but I don't like it in the tasklist. I'd rather have those funny little riddles from the phone friends.

That Nancy / Ned drama happened in CAP. I didn't care for it much. I think they were trying to make it more like the ND Case File book series with the relationship drama. I don't mind the sub-plots, I just don't like Nancy and her friends to fight; in the yellow hardbacks, I don't remember this ever happening, so I'd rather HeR went that way. But I do realize that some people (like you) like it. I know that it's impossible to please every fan every time and this time they were trying to please someone else with the ND / NN drama, so I simply mute the volume when it comes up. Problem solved.

I wasn't a huge fan of MED either plot-wise, but at least the puzzles were good. With some of the other past games, the puzzles drove me nuts.

CRY was the first game I had to wait for. At that time, I was still content with how the games were going; DAN and CRE weren't my favorites, but I still found some enjoyment in them. It wasn't until HAU and RAN that I almsot stopped playing. It was a combination of too many puzzles and third person movement. Hopefully the gmaes will continue to improve from LIE forward, but I can't see how I'll enjoy them without Lani.
              Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Payne View Post

Well, Bess and George were in MED.
                I mean aside from MED, sorry should have said that. Besides that game, George was missing from Tomb of the Lost Queen, she was missing again in Ghost of Thorton Hall (this is going to take awhile since I don't catch on to abbreviations easily, lol.) Then they both were missing in LIE, Silent Spy I think they were a no show again, and I think they were missing from Deadly Device....
                So pretty much the last 5 games there was either no George or they both weren't there??? Another thing that makes me curious as to what's up with them, I asked what was going on (remembered to put besides MED this time, lol.) in the forum where we can ask questions for the moderators. 9 views, no replies. Anyway, I'm going to have to replay Silent Spy and Deadly Device again to see if I'm right on those two
                Last edited by nancy'stwin; December 26, 2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nancy'stwin View Post
                  I mean aside from MED, sorry should have said that. Besides that game, George was missing from Tomb of the Lost Queen, she was missing again in Ghost of Thorton Hall (this is going to take awhile since I don't catch on to abbreviations easily, lol.) Then they both were missing in LIE, Silent Spy I think they were a no show again, and I think they were missing from Deadly Device....
                  So pretty much the last 5 games there was either no George or they both weren't there??? Another thing that makes me curious as to what's up with them, I asked what was going on (remembered to put besides MED this time, lol.) in the forum where we can ask questions for the moderators. 9 views, no replies. Anyway, I'm going to have to replay Silent Spy and Deadly Device again to see if I'm right on those two
                  Oh! Yes, I completely agree then.

Yep, I believe George was missing from TMB, DED, GTH and SPY. I think in GTH it was mentioned where she was, but I forgot the details. In any case, I do like Bess and George as phone friends or playable characters.
                  And yes again, Bess was in TMB and GTH; I liked it best when she is paired with George, not alone like in TMB, though it was kind of interesting to see her paired up with Ned in GTH.
                  Last edited by Royal Payne; December 26, 2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what is being said on this thread! I do like the new music, but I wish that the tracks could be longer. I was disappointed when I recently bought some of the newer music only to discover that the tracks only last one minute; in future it would be great if they could at least repeat the song over before ending so it lasts longer.

I'd really like to see the gameplay change back to more exploring and logic based puzzles rather than puzzle after puzzle gameplay. Now that we do have players who started on the newer games and like heavy puzzle play, at least it would be nice for every other game to switch it up!

I'm sure someone else has already said this, but more danger and second chances! But please not in the middle of a puzzle! I hate starting puzzles over and over. It's so annoying to be close to finishing the puzzle and then have to start from the beginning if it's not done in time. Timed things are good when you need to move Nancy before that object falls on her, or that culprit is chasing her, or you don't need to be in someone's area for too long before they come back and find you...
                    Last edited by Kyokai; December 28, 2014, 09:09 AM.
                    Castle Quote
                    Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
                    Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
                    I love this line!

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Payne View Post
                      Dear HeR Interactive,

First of all, I'd like to say that I still love the ND games. I don't want to come across as always negative and critical. I think they are still the best mystery games out there for the younger age group. There are a few things that we, the fans who have been playing for years (and possibly newer fans who have played them all), miss though, and possibly a few things that we wished would be left out of the games. I've seen many members say that we aren't specific when we say that we want some of the things from the older games back. I've created this thread to do just that. This is also a thread to say what you'd rather not see in the games anymore as well. But, I'd like to include this little reminder from veja:

So when you post here, you're agreeing to be polite and respectful of everyone's opinion. And while we're on the topic: This is not a petition; this is for discussion. So please feel free to discuss so the people at HeR can read this and find out specifically what we want back from the old games and don't want from the new. :D

Also, check out this thread: Is quality lacking because the writers aren't being lazy enough? - It's very intriguing, and has a lot of great points. :D

I'll get this started with a few topics that the older games had that the newer ones don't, or the new ones have that I wished they didn't that I’ve seen mentioned that I agree with, and I'll add to it as we discuss so anyone can jump in and know what all we're talking about:

Blackouts
                      1: Blackouts when characters were leaving were somewhat avoided in the older games because I don't think ever had to lie to get suspects to leave like in TMB or SPY. But in STFD, the screen does fade from the close up of Mattie to the empty room when Mattie leaves, so I suppose I didn't really have a right to complain about that.

2: Blackouts when traveling was a little different too. In DOG, when using the boat, we were shown scenery as the boat moved, so it didn't feel like we just randomly appeared. I think if that train scene was shown every time we used the train, it wouldn't have felt so weird.

3: Blackouts when Nancy travels on foot was also different. In DDI, when Nancy went a long distance, it would fade out, fade back in with Nancy moving, and fade back out to show movement. Sometimes it would do this several times.
                      Now, like in SPY, when Nancy used the elevator, we didn't get to see the hotel lobby; we were just there.
                      I totally agree with this! I do like it when Nancy goes from place to place and it shows scenery. To me, it feels more like we are kinda...I don't know..."IN" the game instead of "Playing" the game.

Calling people for help
                      Now we can get hints and spoilers from the task list. I play Master just to avoid it; what happened to getting hints from Nancy's friends? That may not be quite as realistic, but it made for interesting and sometimes funny conversations.
                      On another note: It also means that fewer people come to HeR boards for help. (And we wonder why the boards have been so slow lately... ) But that's a topic for another board, so I'll stop there.
                      Right! I was loved asking Nancy's friends for hints and tips...it made the game feel more...friendly I guess you could say. Now it's like Nancy is kinda distant from her friends because she doesn't really ask them for that much help anymore. I was even okay with the Hint Hotline because it was actually in the game/phone but now that the hints and everything is in the tasklist, it just feels very distant if that makes sense...?

Conversations:
                      In the old games, we had choices when we spoke to the characters. We could say ‘Yes’, ‘No’, and sometime ‘Maybe’. We could agree, disagree, or say that we aren’t sure. Now Nancy takes the conversation into her own hands; for the first time I realized that the conversation options in this game were so limited. (I said this on another thread, but I felt that I should bring it up here too.) Now Nancy answers it for us, and for me, I feel like I'm watching Nancy, not controlling her. I remember a game where what you said mattered a great deal, to the point of a second chance, or having people hang up on you. I'm not Nancy anymore, and that's a big issue to me.
                      Right! I totally agree with this! I loved the options in conversations! And honestly, in the last few games, I haven't really seen that much conversation at all. When Nancy went to go talk to characters, she asked short questions and got short answers and then said bye bye. I like talking to the people, like in VEN< Helena talked to her about being a journalist and Colin talked to her about art appreciation instead of just asking a question, getting an answer and then leaving.

Music improvements (Thanks KokoKringle999 and Rianna):

Also, check out this thread: Improving the soundtracks

Mystery Games must have mystery!
                      The ND games HAVE to revolve around the mystery! In SSH, there were lots of puzzles about the Maya the same as MED had puzzles surrounding the game show; but in SSH, the mystery was never forgotten. By halfway through MED, I had to remind myself what the mystery was, which should never happen. It felt like the game show prevailed over George's accident and it bugs me. Since when is Nancy more concerned with winning than she is about her best friend? George should be more important than some game show. (The same way I felt with Nancy solving puzzles in RAN and complying with the kidnappers demands instead of searching for Bess like mad.) Though the puzzles were enjoyable in MED, it was easy to forget what the mystery was. One thing that is important in a mystery game is the mystery!
                      YESS! The games need more of a mystery nowadays. In MED, I didn't really fully understand what the mystery was, I was just following the tasklist because I kept getting lost in the plot. I did like some of the puzzles but these are mystery games so I was kinda looking for more of a mystery...

Nancy's attitude:
                      I alluded to this on the SPY discussion board, but I'll go a little more in depth here without getting spoilerish.
                      Lately, it seems like she's sassy when she shouldn't be and too passive when she should be blunt. I think that the reason I didn't have a problem with it in FIN was because it involved a kidnapping of someone she was close to. In RAN, someone even closer to her than Maya was kidnapped, and Nancy felt so emotionless. I didn't have a problem with Nancy's being overly blunt at times in SPY because I get that her emotions were getting the best of her.
                      Here's another example: Why does Nancy try to comfort Emily in CLK after the loss of her mother, but is so tactless with the Shimizu’s in SAW?
                      Also, check out this thread: More heart. Little changes, BIG difference. It is spot-on about Nancy lately, explaining the problem much better than I have here.
                      Edit 11/13/2014: That being said -- Lani Minella ISN'T the problem. She is simply following the script. It may be possible that HeR misinterpreted this message, because HeR has chosen to use another voice actress for Nancy in ND33. Not only do we want the old games back, we don't want Lani to leave! This had nothing to do with Lani! We love her version of Nancy. Please keep her. If someone reading this would like to support the cause, here is a link to the petition: Petition to Keep Lani Minella as Nancy's Voice.
                      I love Lani as Nancy, she's one of those classic things hat make the ND games awesome! But yeah, I do agree with this part a LOT!

Snooping//Sleuthing
                      I think a big part of snooping and sleuthing is what all we can do in a location, not just looking through people's things. We also didn't get to click on much; in the older games, we could click to get closer looks of things that didn't matter. In STFD for instance, we can look at so much in the prop room. 14 years later, I'm still finding new stuff. And when I say we want more places to look and more to look at, I don't mean like the empty corners in TOT. When we go into a room and we're only allowed to look at a couple of things, it makes the place feel small, even though it may seem large.
                      I miss the old snooping in the old games. In the recent games, it kinda feels like HeR just gave the places to snoop that you had to snoop in. I kinda would like to see some extra places to go to, like actually go out to and more places to actually look. For example in MED, you could go to the places needed for the game show but only a few places to actually snoop. I miss snooping.

Third Person // Two Dimensional Maps
                      There hasn't been any in the last few games that I recall, but here, we would like to emphasize that we don't care for it and would like for it to stay gone. whitewolf93 explains it flawlessly here.
                      I love this thread! I agree with it soooooo much!!!
                      Last edited by hedgie; January 2, 2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Please keep font size to a maximum of 4. Thank you.
                      My love still lies there buried under silent ice and sleep
                      A grave left unattended ¸·°¨¯¨°·¸.......²
                      ..by the word I couldn't keep. `·-·`.....)¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
                      .........¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸....².....¸.·°¨¯¨°·.,¸_¸,.·`..³..`·-·`
                      .....³ `·-·`......`·.,¸_¸,.·`
                      ©disneygirl12

Comment

I just want to let people know few things that have been on my mind

1. I think there's a huge dilemma when it comes to who the target audience is, and which audience wants change

The truth of the matter of fact is that Nancy Drew, has always been targeted at younger girls.

Now, that has ALWAYS been the case with Nancy Drew (a strong female role model)

However, the first game came out in 1998... and it's been.. 16? 14? 15 years?

If the audience that wants a change is the exact same audience that grew since around 1998... then the audience is 14-16 years older than they were in 1998, making the audience far from what they were.

Now, I have nothing against, there's is something different between the games then and now (I played Final Scene and MED in two days and I did feel the difference)

However, boycotting will only cause more issues than help, while you would still send the message, you would be putting at risk the company, not to mention that I don't think the percentage of users willing to not buy subsequent games is enough, If the boycott did work, then the producers/HER would have LESS money to produce more games which would result in WORSE quality than what they would have 100%, and I think that making a petition with "demands" is more likely to work than a boycott.

But that is just the way I see it I could be far from wrong.

Onto the actual issues

Personally I like the inter-personal issues/quirks between Nancy and Bess,George, Ned, Frank and Joe, they make her seem "real". To some it helps relate, Nancy after all is meant to be a "role model", and her CAP's fight with Ned I think was cute in a weird way because it just made her like a real person and not someone with a perfect boyfriend.

However, I DO agree that the interactions have decreased lately, I don't even know the last time Ned was involved in a game. Frank and Joe were in LIE and George and Bess were main characters of MED.

The "third person" issue is nothing more than an aesthethic choice by the producers to save space. In game-terms what's more efficient? Rendering hundreds more frames for each possible location or being able to cover a LARGER area. I mean, people want Nancy to snoop, in HAU (which I assume is Castle Malloy, if not, I mean that game) instead of someone telling you "Go to the stone circle, garden etc." Nancy is instead forced to "explore" the castle's grounds. The third, while low quality because HER isn't as advanced as other games for many reasons, is just what works best, this includes things like Twister's driving, Ransom's sailing etc. I mean, people want more interactions and I feel these things, even not as good, allow the game to feel "real" than point and clicking to go to each location (and I think that whole issue is contradictory to what people want)

I think problem with the games is that I've always seen them as puzzles, it's not like the Telltale games where each decision has a consequence, unlike Hidden Object games Nancy's games have always relied on puzzles, however, they should be used sparingly and be logical. I can't think of an example but I'm sure there was something locked that made no sense.

There's this whole demand that people want games to be based more on books than anything else, and while I don't think that's as bad of an idea, I prefer more original content, because if i wanted to re-live the original, I think books are better anyway, (yay literature).. not to mention that I think that HER doesn't hold the legal rights to Nancy Drew games anyway, but I'm way too uninformed about how that works (if HER needs a license to re-make books into games and stuff).

However, character interactions need to be improved. I played MED and I didn't feel that I HAD to talk to each charater. I think there was a single case where you need to actually talk to someone (Leena) to progress the game, and maybe few others. but other than that they can be pretty much ignored.

While I do agree with more "mature" content is fun (I played the original Secrets Can Kill and I was shocked at how direct it was) the game are still targeted at younger girls/boys, regardless at a younger age, and the content we want, wether it is graphic or not, and in most cases it isn't.. is still.. somewhat inappropriate.

Wow.. I rambled enough about this. It's just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBigOz View Post
                          The truth of the matter of fact is that Nancy Drew, has always been targeted at younger girls.
                          Actually, the Nancy Drew Files when they first came out were targeted towards an older audience. My mom wouldn't let me read those until I was sixteen at least, lol! And then there's a series for Nancy when she goes to college, probably aimed at girls 18-21 years old.
                          I think if HER decided to make a series rated T, it would be up to the discretion of parents not to buy those games for their younger girls, and there are plenty of rated E games for the younger generation to enjoy. And then when they get older like us, they can enjoy more of what we enjoyed from games like SCK the original. :)

Edit: But I feel the need to explain that when I want more mature games, I mean the danger we had in the first few. Things like death threats, murder mysteries...
                          Last edited by Kyokai; December 30, 2014, 06:41 PM.
                          Castle Quote
                          I love this line!

Comment

yes, but the older games are still fun, even though I am older, so I dont really think that is the main problem.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
                              yes, but the older games are still fun, even though I am older, so I dont really think that is the main problem.
                              I agree if they can give us games like the originals and still be within the E rating. But what if some changes have been made because the rating system changed? Maybe we aren't getting as much suspense and action as the older games because now those games would be rated T? If that's the case, then a series made for older fans sounds good to me!
                              Castle Quote
                              I love this line!

Comment

My thoughts...

Oh man. I agree with so many of these thoughts. The old games felt so GRANDIOSE. I loved snooping and being able to look through multiple things in each room or scene. The plot was always centered on mystery. I know her is tired of hearing we the fans complain about "there are too many puzzles"...but holy wow. Just finished S.A.W.E. If there had been one more grid based puzzle i may have stopped playing. I don't remember anything so terrorizing in any of the original games. Perhaps thats nostalgia and "original" elitist talk, but the entire community seems to feel this way. TIRT was amazing, running around, getting keys and clues and attempting to find all the pieces to get to the actual tower. I never once felt as though I wanted to chuck my computer into a koko kringle blender. hahaha. It was so much more focused on mystery, knowing when to snoop, hiding and not getting caught, and MUCH more CHOICE based speaking. I loved having the opportunity to decide how much to honestly answer or speak with people I am interviewing. Now the games feel like I am just reading a long, more visual novel. Nancy doesn't have choices, she has commands that must be clicked. I don't feel in control, but the game seems to control my story. I want to feel as though I as nancy can withhold things I know. That I can challenge people when I believe it necessary. I want to BE nancy. :) I love these games. If I didn't I wouldn't be playing them a decade and half later in life. I do believe, however, that they have the potential to be even better. I think the base line for the game being at its best is to TRULY feel like the Player is Nancy. We must feel we control her decisions and speech. (Even down to calling friends for hints instead of them just given. sometimes that is just more fun because it is a choice and decision). -Tobias

Comment

Working...
                                X