Character Voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Voices

The rules threads were long--I did read them all, and hope I'm following the rules correctly. If not, I apologize and feel free to warn me.

Basically, I've noticed that sometimes the voices for the characters in ND PC games are not consistent. Nancy's is, of course, but, for example, I was doing some research, and I noticed Frank Hardy's voice is played by two different people (one in LTTBMC and another guy in Frank's phone conversations when Nancy calls him). I also found out that no less than FOUR people have played the voice of George! This is frustrating to me, as I associate characters not only by what they look like, but what they sound like.

I would like HER to try to make sure the same person plays Frank, George, or whoever, each time that person is featured in a game (voice only, as over the phone, or in person). This gives consistency to the games and the characters and prevents confusion as to what the character is supposed to sound like.

If it's possible, I'd like to know why HER has been inconsistent with character voices in the past, and if they are working to be more consistent in the future.

Thanks.
    It's up to you as Nancy Drew!

Voice acting is a very short thing, people hardly spend any time in the recording studio. They record, then leave.

HER realeses two games per year, there's about a six month gap between the two games too.

People don't want to wait for these two per year, to earn money or to live their life. HER can't control that.

HER doesn't mean to have different voice actors, it just happens.

Also, sometimes a new voice actor can do a better job with the character. Like the voice actor for Ned in SCK1 and STFD, don't you think that Scott Carty (Present Ned) does a better job than Ryan Campbell? (Past Ned)

Comment

Very interesting topic...
      I've noticed some voices are different, too. However, these games have been going on for over 15 years, and some of the voice actors could be out of this type of career now, or have steady employment elsewhere so as they don't have time to voice the characters. Furthermore, HeR Interactive could change some of the character's voices to better match the character animation and personality. I certainly prefer the newer voices for Bess & George than the really early ones. We've been very lucky to have Lani Minella for all the games, and yet even her voice has changed slightly in more recent games. We won't always have the same voices, but HeR Interactive does their best to give life to the characters through the newest animation and voices that best fit the characters they strive to create.
      But that's just my opinion.
      *·¸ . . . . . . . . . . . . . .·*, . . .·˙·¸
      Hi, you've reached Karina,
      Amateur sleuth extraordinaire. . . . . .
      Leave a clue, and I’ll track you down later.

. . . . . . `*•-•*´ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ˙, _ . •´

gameMED Awards & Eggssignature shop

Comment

Originally posted by Grace2000 View Post
        Also, sometimes a new voice actor can do a better job with the character. Like the voice actor for Ned in SCK1 and STFD, don't you think that Scott Carty (Present Ned) does a better job than Ryan Campbell? (Past Ned)
        I still don't like so many changes, but you make some good points.

And yes, I do like the new Ned better. And the new George better. Let's hope Lani stays with HER for a long time in the future, and when she does have to say goodbye, they will find someone extremely similar.
        It's up to you as Nancy Drew!

Comment

Originally posted by KCsleuth View Post
          I still don't like so many changes, but you make some good points.

And yes, I do like the new Ned better. And the new George better. Let's hope Lani stays with HER for a long time in the future, and when she does have to say goodbye, they will find someone extremely similar.
          I can see why you don't like change, I watch Doctor Who where the main character keeps dying and comes back to life with a whole new body, meaning new a whole new actor. It can take some getting use to if you loved the previous actor.

If Lina does leave, I think HER would try their best to get a actor that's able to make a similar voice.

Company's are quite good at, to give an example, I watch dub Anime, if you don't know what that is, Anime is japanese so people dub them so we don't have to watch the sub version. Though they only updated once every two months so they're really behind so we watch sub anyway.

Back to the point, I started watching a dub of a Anime, a character (Her is Lucy) sounded a lot like character (Her name is Nami) in another Anime I watched. So I looked it up. It isn't the same voice actor.

Even though it isn't the same voice actor, I still think of Nami when I hear Lucy's voice in the dub.

Comment

Working...
          X