The games won't be the same without Lani Minella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The games won't be the same without Lani Minella

If you don't already know, recently Her Interactive announced that Lani Minella is no longer going to be the VA for Nancy after the next game. I was really upset by this news, but now it's hitting me even harder. Not to sound corny, but these games have been with me all throughout my childhood. I loved hearing Lani say "It's Locked". Her voice was so perfect for Nancy. I really can't imagine anyone else voicing Nancy, even if they were great, it just wouldn't be the same.

I know I'm being a bit over dramatic, but does anyone else feel this way? I would feel sooo uncomfortable listening to someone else voice Nancy. I guess for newer fans, this may not be as hard. A way of describing how I feel is to pretend that one day you wake up, and you're mom, best friend, sister, or whoever you talk to most suddenly has a new voice. You would still love them just as much but it would be extremely hard to get used to. I've always thought of Nancy as a sister type of figure and now that shes getting a new voice it's just going to be really weird. She's not just a character in a video game to me. I will still play these games, but I might take a break. I know it's probably a done deal by now, but if there's a chance that HeR could bring Lani back, I really hope they listen to our advice and do.
    Niacin.

I feel the same way, and have written to Her Interactive about it. I encourage everyone else who feels similarly to write to the company, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedbear2 View Post
      I feel the same way, and have written to Her Interactive about it. I encourage everyone else who feels similarly to write to the company, too.

I defiantly will! I've replied a lot to all these threads but I will write to them also.

I know Firestone! It would be so weird to hear someone else's voice for Nancy. Now, if Lani was just retiring, it would be different and we would wish her luck, but HeR is actually firing her! It's just really sad to me that after all these years, they would up and fire her.

I just can't imagine it!
      Hollywood Nights... .. -:|:-
      .. -:|:- ..............,•*¨¯¨*•, ...... -:|:-
      ......,•*¨¯¨*•, .....',¸¸,• .....`•. ................•´¯)
      .....( ... •,¸¸,'.. -:|:- . ..........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ..•´
      ......`•. ...................,•*¨¯¨*•, ...........•´
      ..........`•. ....`•. ....',¸¸,• ....). -:|:- ( ..............,•*¨¯¨*•,
      .. -:|:- .....`•. . `•. `×.,¸__¸,.×´ .........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ... •,¸¸,'
      ..................`•.¸_) .....................................-:|:-

©L.bulldog + Tigerpaw

Comment

I feel the exact same way. I really love the raw authenticity that Lani brings to the voice of Nancy. Now I could understand if Lani herself was retiring and that was the reason for why we would no longer have her as the voice of Nancy. But the fact the it is HeR saying they want someone different? I am little bit ticked off at this. When we said that we wanted Nancy's voice to change we meant her attitude not the literal voice. I just can't imagine having Nancy's voice be different.
        if i find in myself desires which
        nothing in this world can satisfy,
        the only logical explanation is that
        i was made for another WORLD.
        Quote by C.S. Lewis; art by zizi ♥

might not be on that much anymore...

Comment

omg i haven't heard about that yet! D: that is quite a shock as i too have played these games all throughout my childhood and can't imagine not having Lani as Nancy Drew. but i guess i always knew this day would come, i mean Lani can't do it forever obviously, and honestly i'm ok with that (as hard as it may be) but my issue lies with Her finding an appropriate replacement.

After MED my faith in Her is practically nil. I haven't played LIE yet but ive heard good things, so thats reassuring, but the fact is, this is a big decision and as much as i hate to say it, i'm not sure I entirely trust Her to not mess it up. I just hope they keep in mind that the best way to go about this (at least this is how i see it) is they should try and get a new actress who sounds similar to Lani in that she has a strong voice, and says the lines in a similar way to Lani. If they bring in an actress with a higher pitched girly voice who completely changes how Nancy acts and speaks in the games then to me that would be the wrong way to go about it. You know the saying, If it ain't broke don't fix it, well i really hope Her applies this when finding a new actress for ND and i really hope they don't try to be radical and recreate her through her voice and mannerisms.

this is going to be quite a turning point in the ND games, but i do believe it can be a positive one if Her is sensible and reasonable about it and takes our advice when finding a new actress, although it'd be awesome if Lani stayed at least for a bit longer!

~Em
          "My parents are always bugging me – why aren't you
          more like that Drew girl? She's in Whateverstan,
          just saved the blah blah blah from the who cares."

–Deirdre Shannon, ASH

~My Threads~

My Thoughts on GTH
          Newer Games vs. Older Games: Why are the older games better than the new ones? What things do the newer games lack? What will make the newer games seem better?

Comment

I guess it is inevitable, Lani is aging and one day she will be unable to voice Nancy. I am just upset that it was HeRs decision to fire her.
            Niacin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedbear2 View Post
              I agree. It's critical that HER knows EXACTLY how we feel about this decision.

--Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Miley133 View Post
                I agree. It's critical that HER knows EXACTLY how we feel about this decision.

--Derek
                I agree. And while commenting in the forums on this issue certainly has its merits, I think well-thought-out emails directly to the company could potentially have more impact than some generalized sadness and disagreement displayed here. It shows them that this really matters and that it's not just part of the usual chit-chat and not just offhand opinions.
                Last edited by Tedbear2; November 16, 2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

That's sad that they are getting rid of her. Is this information on the HER Interactive page?
                  ...................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•..........
                  ...................`•.,¸_¸,.•´.....*•-•´`•-•*.....´•.,,_¸,.•`
                  .•*¨¯¨*•................................................... ...........•*¨¯¨*•.
                  (.....*•-•´.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.....GoNancyDrew AKA LJ.....¸.•*¨¯¨*•.`•-•*......)
                  `•.,¸_¸,.•´................) ........................(...............´•.,,_¸,.•`
                  ..................•.,¸_¸,.•´...........................`•.,¸_¸,.•
                  ..................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•.
                  .................................(....*•-•´`•-•*......)..........
                  ............................´•.,,_¸,.•`´•.,,_¸,.`
                  ............................................©ac

Comment

Originally posted by GoNancyDrew View Post
                    That's sad that they are getting rid of her. Is this information on the HER Interactive page?
                    Her has not officially announced Lani's departure. However, she personally announced it on her Twitter account, and Her has confirmed the news by responding to fan comments on their social media sites. According to their responses, we'll be getting official information about the situation "shortly"
                    neverending song
                    2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
                    So far from me too is your home
                    to which I can never find my way
                    your fairy tale...

Comment

"Ohhh, nooo!" (you should hear this in the Lani-as-Nancy voice)

Oh, my. (in my voice, which you can't hear)

"AAAAAaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!" (screamed in the Lani-as-Nancy voice in STFD and over a balcony)

(accompanied by the sound of me sniveling, which you do not want to hear)

etc.
                      ************************************************** **************************************

I hope that all is well with Lani, and I thank her for all of the the voices and fun.
                      "But remember, you cannot expect God
                      to be dishonest, disloyal, or evil to suit your will."
                      (Mother Angelica, in Free Will)

Comment

You know what I think? I think HER is just messing with us. But it's more of a April Fool's thing, isn't it? I'm going to miss Lani so much!

Comment

I too will miss hearing Lani voice not only Nancy, but Freddie, Millie, LouLou, CouCou and other voices she may have done in the games but I will still play for a long time even with a new voice! I do hope the new voice of Nancy will be similar like some times where I thought I heard someone before but it's a different person (like I thought the voice for the annoucer in MED did Toni in ASH but she didn't).

I loved hearing Lani as Nancy and now I think (even if we don't know it yet), the new voice will be also good as Nancy :)
                          ~ MD12 ~

Comment

I just can't imagine playing after #32. It wouldn't be Nancy anymore . . .

What is HeR doing?

I knew this day would come, but I thought it would be YEARS in the future.

I don't understand.

And nobody is overreacting! This rage and despair is completely justified.

Comment

Originally posted by mdetective12 View Post
                              I too will miss hearing Lani voice not only Nancy, but Freddie, Millie, LouLou, CouCou and other voices she may have done in the games but I will still play for a long time even with a new voice!
                              To add to that... I recently read that she did the sound effects for the monkeys in RAN. I also think she did the voice for the funny phone call in ASH, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

And I hope you're right that the new lady will be as good. I'm still on the fence about buying ND33 right now since Lani won't be Nancy's voice.
                              Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

Working...
                              X