Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firing Lani is not going to give HER a larger audience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing Lani is not going to give HER a larger audience.

I was on Lani's Twitter and I found a tweet she sent to an upset fan who was asking why she left Lani said, "Not my decision, they are trying to gain a larger audience. Thanks for hanging in there and being so great" This is just so upsetting. I really don't understand how this will give HeR a larger audience. It's really just going to give them a smaller audience. I'm done being nice. I'm honestly disgusted with this company, Lani has been loyal to this company, doing an amazing job for over a decade and a half and she is fired because they need a "larger audience". No one else will ever be Nancy to me. Lani is an amazing voice actress and she does not deserve to be let go after all of her hard work and dedication to this company. Honestly so upset and disgusted, Lani has been the voice of mine, and many others childhood. If HeR does not take her back I don't know if I'll be able to play these games anymore. I am truly shocked that Her has the nerve to do this, and I feel very disrespected as a loyal fan of this game series.
    Last edited by Firestone; November 23, 2014, 06:01 PM.
    Niacin.

I couldn't agree more. I just said in another thread yesterday that after reading Lani's reactions (she is very gracious about it but you can tell she's also very saddened by it; she has said before that Nancy was her favourite character to voice) HER doesn't deserve to have someone as talented as Lani anymore. They were SO lucky to have had her for nearly two decades, and for them to cut ties like this so suddenly, no. They don't deserve someone as talented and gracious as Lani on their team after this. What a shame this all is.

Comment

Oh yes, it's a terrible decision.

But when you think about it, it's also a very scary one. We all know who Lani is because we've played these games before, but in all honesty, how often do you really pay attention to the voice characters in computer games? I know some people here could, but I couldn't tell you the names of any of the other voice actors in these games.

So, unless HeR somehow manages to hire someone famous to voice Nancy (which is doubtful), simply having a new voice actress isn't going to gain them more players. It's going to cost them current players and no one else is frankly going to care who voices Nancy because they probably aren't going to know the actress.

Which brings it all back to that "new direction" they are apparently going in. But what direction are the games going to take that prevents Lani from voicing Nancy? I'm a little nervous to find out.

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
      And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
      ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
      ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
      ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
      ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I agree with this cause if I don't like what I see in ND33 than I sorry but you'll probably lose me as fan.
        ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
        (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
        .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
        ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
        ..( ..)
        c('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by NDsolver<3 View Post
          I agree with this cause if I don't like what I see in ND33 than I sorry but you'll probably lose me as fan.
          I agree. This is their last chance for me.
          Niacin.

Comment

Someone I know on another forum expressed this, which I completely agree with:

"Nothing like throwing away a devoted audience in order to try to attract a hypothetical larger audience that may not actually exist -- and may have no interest in your product even if it does exist."

Comment

I'd have to say I agree with that!

..(\/)
              ..( ..)
              c('')('')

Comment

I like how HER said they would let us know what is going on "shortly", and it's been nearly two weeks without a peep from them. I really wish they'd just tell us what they are doing and what they are planning on doing with the games so we know exactly how much more (or perhaps less!) we need to freak out about this.
                Last edited by Goosey; November 24, 2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Firestone: Completely agreed. Funny thing is, after playing LIE, I actually thought that HeR was heading in the right direction. I really enjoyed playing it and am currently replaying it, and I haven't enjoyed replaying a game this much since GTH. And just when I felt like faith in HeR was restored and all was well, to quote Brenda Carlton: “WHAM! See you at eleven ‘cause you just got nined!” I was hoping at first that it was all some sort of belated twisted Halloween trick. This is so disheartening.

Goosey: Agreed. I really feel bad for Lani.
                  And yeah, shortly = over two weeks. Ugh.

Poppy Drew: I really hope they don't hire someone famous, in a way. The first Hardy Boys game put out by the Adventure Company had famous voices, and that's part of the reason I bought it. The voices were good, but I didn't enjoy the game at all. My point is, it would almost seem like a gimmick. I'm also a bit nervous about that. Nothing was wrong with Lani.
                  P.S.: I actually do, somewhat. I could name the voice actors for Ned, Frank and Joe, but since this is a Lani topic, I won't.

NDsolver<3: Me too. I remember the last time I said 'last chance' was after I played HAU and RAN. All the third person, overwhelming amount of puzzles and lack of mystery in them really turned me off, and then they gave us WAC which I enjoyed, thus I'm still here. I really can't see ND33 being that great with a new voice actress. Even if the plot and graphics are wonderful, Nancy's new voice will be extremely distracting.

Tedbear2: My feelings exactly.
                  Last edited by Royal Payne; November 24, 2014, 10:28 AM.
                  Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

Prepare for a long rant

I can't even believe this. You know, when I heard that HeR had fired Lani, I tried to be optimistic. Maybe it was because of budget cuts, maybe there was some untold reason that I could understand. But they fired her to gain a larger audience??????? I am so done. The Nancy Drew games have ALWAYS had the same voice actor for Nancy. Lani Minella IS Nancy Drew. The fans love her, and she reflects the persona of Nancy in a way that no one else can do.

Which poses this question: How in the Koko Kringles does HeR think that hiring a new, probably less talented, voice actor will help them expand to a larger audience?? If anything, they're going to lose all of their longtime fans who are extremely devoted to this company. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT. I know that A LOT of HeRians aren't going to buy these games anymore nor will they come on the boards if HeR decides to stick with this decision. I just wish that for once HeR would listen to us fans because we don't lose money if we stop buying the games. They do.
                    if i find in myself desires which
                    nothing in this world can satisfy,
                    the only logical explanation is that
                    i was made for another WORLD.
                    Quote by C.S. Lewis; art by zizi ♥

might not be on that much anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Pop949 View Post
                      I can't even believe this. You know, when I heard that HeR had fired Lani, I tried to be optimistic. Maybe it was because of budget cuts, maybe there was some untold reason that I could understand. But they fired her to gain a larger audience??????? I am so done. The Nancy Drew games have ALWAYS had the same voice actor for Nancy. Lani Minella IS Nancy Drew. The fans love her, and she reflects the persona of Nancy in a way that no one else can do.

Which poses this question: How in the Koko Kringles does HeR think that hiring a new, probably less talented, voice actor will help them expand to a larger audience?? If anything, they're going to lose all of their longtime fans who are extremely devoted to this company. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT. I know that A LOT of HeRians aren't going to buy these games anymore nor will they come on the boards if HeR decides to stick with this decision. I just wish that for once HeR would listen to us fans because we don't lose money if we stop buying the games. They do.
                      *Standing Ovation*
                      It's not the same game series anymore, and they're losing more than what they think is potentially gained.
                      Last edited by DolphinStarr; November 24, 2014, 01:25 PM.
                      and all I find are souvenirs from better times
                      ` * · . , ¸ _ ¸,.·´))´ ¨ ¯ ¨ ` ·›

Comment

I couldn't believe the news when I found out that Lani would no longer be voicing the ND games. As someone who has grown up with the ND games almost since the beginning (2002), and who has spent many happy late evenings playing ND games with both my dad and brother, it would truly be the end of an era if HER sticks with their decision. Whoever said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is totally right in my opinion. I've been on the fence for the past few years every time a new game comes out where I question if I want to buy it because the quality of the games has been up and down for so long (i.e. great games like Shadow at the Water's Edge and Silent Spy, to mediocre games like Tomb of the Lost Queen and Ransom of the Seven Ships to terrible ones like Trail of the Twister). In my experience, when businesses say that they are making major decisions to move the company in a new direction, a lot of good people and customers get left behind. At this point, I honestly don't know if I would buy ND33--this might just be the final straw in a long string of disappointment in the quality of the games that I fell in love with and have loved for so long. I hope HER makes the right decision and brings Lani back, for diehard fans and newbies alike.
                        "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you never try."
                        --Beverly Sills

Past and Present: A SHA AE

Comment

Originally posted by Goosey View Post
                          I like how HER said they would let us know what is going on "shortly", and it's been nearly two weeks without a peep from them. I really wish they'd just tell us what they are doing and what they are planning on doing with the games so we know exactly how much more (or perhaps less!) we need to freak out about this.

Same here!
                          I really want them to say at least one little thing even if it's just a hint for something!

..(\/)
                          ..( ..)
                          c('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by Goosey View Post
                            I totally agree with you!

Personally, I'm trying really hard to remain optimistic about this. Even though my first instinct is to be disappointed in Her, I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Literally all the information we have is from Lani, and even then it's only vague, because Her hasn't clarified via any official statements yet. And "yet" is the operative word here - I honestly believe that people would be much more understanding and patient with this situation if Her would sit down and talk to us about it.

I really don't expect them to tell us things that they're not ready to tell yet, but seriously, why the silence? They could at least confirm what Lani said about the "new direction" or the "larger audience", or summarize any other reasons they have for letting her go. Reassurance is the most important thing here, because without it, fans begin to feel betrayed. But instead, I'm getting a more and more distinct impression of what Goosey said in another thread about this matter: "I'm sure HER expected this kind of backlash from people once the news was announced, and so I'm sure our comments are falling on deaf ears, kind of like waiting for a cranky toddler to tire itself out from all its crying so you can put it to bed and get on with your day." And that may very well be totally untrue, but I can't help feeling that way.

Honestly I feel very strange about the whole "larger audience" thing. As others have said, I don't understand the logic behind this alleged decision, unless they hire a celebrity and the game boxes are splashed with the person's name or something. Either way, unless letting Lani go was an unavoidable decision that had to be made because of cost-cutting or creative disagreement, I just can't figure out why this has happened now. Five or even ten games into the series I can understand, but after 32 games of Nancy sounding the same? I don't get it, and I wish Her would give us a little nudge to let us know that they're not just saying "we have our fans' best interests in mind". I always want to trust in their judgement first and foremost, but their handling of this situation is making that a little difficult right now.
                            neverending song
                            2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
                            So far from me too is your home
                            to which I can never find my way
                            your fairy tale...

Comment

The only thing I have to say about this whole thing is that if HeR thinks this will draw in a larger audience, I'm sorry, but they're sadly mistaken. HeR, right now, you're not gaining fans. You're losing them. Myself very likely included. You guys have always said that you listen to and care about us. Where's that love and care right now, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X