Petition to Keep Nancy Drew Games Family Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition to Keep Nancy Drew Games Family Friendly

The Nancy Drew games are rated E for everyone, 10+. Recently I learned of a petition to make ND games more mature. It's got over 400 signatures, which while that petition was started 7 years ago, it's still quite disturbing to me because the entire ND franchise has always been family friendly, something that young girls and boys can enjoy, and learn & grow from.

So I am starting a petition to keep the Nancy Drew games rated E for everyone, 10+. If you agree with this, please sign.

What might be perceived as immature, cheesy, or lack of quality by an adult is NOT perceived in the same way by an 11-year-old. More complex game play and puzzles does not mean we need a teen or higher rating. Heck they've accomplished games with cult rituals, voodoo, & Salem witch trial themes without mature ratings, they can accomplish a murder mystery or other different crimes while still keeping it family friendly.

1. Scheherazade
    2. NDsolver<3
    3. CandyDrizzle821
    4. fearepixeuhv
    5. sonnyjoonfan
    6. DPL_93
    7. emikat80
    8. Part-time D.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; May 24th, 2016, 02:17 PM.
    "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7

Jeopardy! ND Style! R1 R3 Play my game! Name That ND Animal! A PBM Game

Please add me to this list! 100% agree!
    ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
    (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
    .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
    ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
    ..( ..)
    c('')('')

Comment

First off, thank you so much for creating this thread!

Yes, I completely agree!

I don't necessarily believe that HeR will stray from their beliefs/principles just because of a petition. But I definitely agree that these games should always be kept family friendly! As you already pointed out, they have been able to add more mature elements without boosting the ratings over 10+, and I believe that's as high as it should go...

Sign me up!
      Last edited by CandyDrizzle821; May 5th, 2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CandyDrizzle821 View Post
        I don't necessarily believe that HeR will stray from their beliefs/principles just because of a petition.
        Neither do I, but it still bugged me lol I had to have a rebuttal :)
        "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7

Comment

I don't think anyone was asking for the games to be rated M, just that they would have more mature plots and elements. Not "the mystery of the dangerous reality show" sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix star View Post
            I don't think anyone was asking for the games to be rated M, just that they would have more mature plots and elements.
            Of course not, that would be the equivalent of a 21+ rating in the film industry, that would be truly shocking! But what was suggested could easily give the games a teen rating, and many families would have a problem with that. <<What might be perceived as immature, cheesy, or lack of quality by an adult is NOT perceived in the same way by an 11-year-old.>> Just because many of us who grew up with the games are all now adults doesn't mean the franchise should change to match our needs... They need to be there for today's young generation.
            Last edited by Scheherazade; May 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Now this one I'll sign. I do honestly agree that the puzzles can be harder or more difficult with out making the game more mature. Just because the puzzles are harder doesn't mean the game is now suddenly rated M. But I have to agree with the one person above. Signing a thing like this won't really get hers attention. If you have suggestions for the game to be better. Or just suggestions for the game. Ok, but I know for sure I do want suggestions to the game to be nice, kind and sivial to everyone who plays the games and to her who makes the games. I remember when these message boards use to be filled with kindness, fun, and excitement towards everyone who plays and the people who make the game.
              I Solved all the games but 1!

Comment

I'll sign!

However, I don't think that Her would change the way the games are now. Sure, the plots can be a little more mature, maybe another murder mystery here or there, but nothing too extreme in the way most would think of as 'mature'. The games still need to appeal to their general age range from as low as 10, so upping the maturity and rating would definitely take away from that set range of players.
                .¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ Aliens are here. ..¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
                We'r
                e all aliens.
                ¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ Earth life s
                tarted with bacteria on asteroids.
                .`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

-- Sonny Joon in The Shattered Medallion

Comment

The games are already becoming too childish in my opinion. I doubt we will see a game with a Murder or Kidnapping theme again like SCK and FIN.

Which is funny because SCK came out with the EVERYONE rating and currently the rating is EVERYONE 10+. I think when people say they want the games to be more Mature they are talking about it not being as childish. Not wanting to change the rating to MATURE which is 17+.

Personally I'd like it the game ratings were changed to TEEN which is 13+ which would cater for the older fan base while still being appropriate for younger fans. After all Nancy Drew is suppose to be a teenage sleuth.

In saying that sign me up as I would be happy for the series to stick with their current rating.

Comment

I'd like to see better quality games that have more depth and substance. There's no reason why HeR can't do that and still stay age-appropriate. For whatever reason, it seems like shows and games meant for kids in the US are very cheesy and gimmicky. I was watching an Australian kid's show recently, and while it was definitely meant for younger viewers, it was well-written and acted so that an older viewer such as myself (university graduate) could watch without finding it completely painful. As a point of comparison, Disney Channel shows are terrible pieces of television in my opinion. There is no reason why HeR can't make a well-written and produced game that skips the cheesiness and gimmicks. For example, I liked that CAP and SEA addressed the complexities and difficulties that Ned and Nancy face in their relationship. I also think that they did so in a manner that was appropriate for their younger players. It also showed younger players that relationships involve work and aren't always happiness and sunshine. I agree that younger players may be happy playing a game that older players think is immature and cheesy, but is there any reason to think these players wouldn't be happy playing a high quality game that handled all plot elements in an age-appropriate manner?
                    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN
                    SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA
                    CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE
                    ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN
                    WAV TOT SAW CAP ASH
                    TMB DEDGTH SPY MED

SCK2 LCC RED iSHA

...How? I Dare to Play

Do you have concerns about MID? Ask HeR for a demo

Comment

I would like to sign.
                      I've never thought that the games were becoming more childish, or that they need to be more "mature". They sprinkle everything around, and there are some flops and many more (in my opinion) hits. HeR has always been excellent at giving us variety, so if you don't like a particular game, just grab the next one and it'll be completely different. Something for everyone.
                      Also, I've seen this from several people, and anyone saying that we haven't solved a murder since SCK (& 2) has clearly forgotten about DED.
                      Oh, and a kidnapping, or the appearance of a kidnapping, has happened in at least two recent games. js.
                      Last edited by emikat80; May 6th, 2016, 01:59 AM.
                      Listen, my child, to this story of dreams,
                      And know that the beginning is more difficult than it seems.
                      When the ten daughters are reunited in order,
                      When the four-sided box loses its border,
                      When the eye of the phoenix is in your hand,
                      When the bird of fire can see again,
                      When the moon sleeps and the sun plays,
                      The king of the sky will shine his rays,
                      And hidden beneath a river of colors
                      Will lie a gate to golden wonders.

Comment

Murder has happened in lots of games. DED is a more recent one.
                        As for kidnapping, you have RAN, and now SEA.
                        ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
                        (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
                        .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
                        ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
                        ..( ..)
                        c('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by ChicaMisteriosa View Post
                          I'd like to see better quality games that have more depth and substance. There's no reason why HeR can't do that and still stay age-appropriate.
                          Originally posted by ChicaMisteriosa View Post
                          but is there any reason to think these players wouldn't be happy playing a high quality game that handled all plot elements in an age-appropriate manner?
                          No there isn't, but I agree with Emikat80 - I think they already do this, it's just that not every game is a winner. I think the utility platform will greatly improve upon this, it forces the style of the game to be similar to the classic originals, so I think HER is on the right track. I'm just trying to voice an opinion that many of us have that they shouldn't be changed beyond that. It's been all over these boards in various conversations, but I decided to start this thread because there wasn't one specifically dedicated to it.

Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
                          Personally I'd like it the game ratings were changed to TEEN which is 13+ which would cater for the older fan base while still being appropriate for younger fans. After all Nancy Drew is suppose to be a teenage sleuth.
                          The problem with this is that in today's world, a teen rating really doesn't mean that's it's appropriate for all teenagers, it just means that they don't legally need their parents' to purchase it for them if they're 13 or older... Games that are rated Teen range from TheSims to Dark Souls... This right here would caution many parents of pre-teens... The original ND books that HER's games are based on would not have had a teen rating, and so it would be dangerous to invite that into these games, in my view.

Current List of Signatures:
                          1. Scheherazade
                          2. NDsolver<3
                          3. CandyDrizzle821
                          4. fearepixeuhv
                          5. sonnyjoonfan
                          6. DPL_93
                          7. emikat80
                          8. Part-time D.
                          Last edited by Scheherazade; May 24th, 2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

You can sign me up!

I agree that sometimes the games could be a little more mature as in FIN, and maybe not so ghost scary but scary like if I don't hurry up and solve this mystery, something bad's gonna happen. This could just be us all growing up, and I'm not saying ALL the games are like this, but just some are. They have been pretty good at giving us a good plot and puzzles while keeping it family friendly, and I doubt they'll really change that, but it might be good for us as fans to leave them no doubts about it.
                            (¯*¤.¸¤
                            .`¤. Rock and Roll Dear
                            .. ..) -Prof. Hotchkiss
                            .... .,*¨¯¨*¤
                            ..*._.¤

Comment

Keep Nancy drew’s Character and the game family friendly

There are PLENTY of other games for people wanting “mature” themes.
                              Nancy Drew is different and refreshing and has been my favorite since the start.

Comment

Working...
                              X