This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Diversity, Please

For the most part, I love how diverse HeRinteractive makes their characters. By playing the games, we've explored various cultures and learned about different traditions. We've met characters of all different ethnicities and races.
    However, I have noticed that one area of the population has not been represented at all in the 23 games that HeR has released thus far. There have been no openly gay, bisexual, or transgendered characters portrayed in the games. I find this strange, simply because HeR has done such an excellent job representing other minorities.
    One might say that the exploration of straight versus gay has no place in the HeR games, but this is somewhat hypocritical. In every game there is some reference or allusion to a straight relationship; the romance between Nancy and Ned is an aspect of almost every game, but there are also other hints at heterosexuality; a female character will mention that she finds a man attractive, or a male character will flirt with Nancy. I have no problem with these shows of heterosexual affection, but it would be nice to have some representation in the games.
    Please contribute your opinion, but try to keep it polite and respectful of everyone's differences. <3

UPDATE: Wow! What a colorful array of ideals and beliefs! It seems like everyone has a different opinion, which is wonderful and one of the things that makes the world so beautiful. Remember to stay on topic and not to be afraid to debate--just stay away from heated arguments. <3
    Last edited by Mr.E; February 7, 2011, 06:41 PM.
    Fight the power.

I believe I understand what you're trying to say and I agree. I'm a Christian and honestly I have nothing against bisexuals or anything like that. Sunday school always taught me to resepct one another for who they are and that's what I do. So I think it would be nice to have that in a game but I think the reason why HER hasn't done that is because others would probably get very upset. So basically I'm saying I'm all for it but I don't think it would happen. Does this make sense?
    -xo, Emily

Comment

I think Herinteractive would have a lot of complaining parents if they had a gay character in a game. I don't think it would be a big deal if it happened, but some think it's going to scar their children's minds. There are some fairy tales for kids out there that involve gay characters that they had in schools and parents freaked out over that like it would result in armageddon if their kids read them. I'd like to hope in the near future people can become progressive enough to handle it, but right now I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.
      Listen my child to this story of dreams, and know that the beginning is more difficult than it seems. When the ten daughters are reunited in order, when the four sided box loses its border. When the eye of the phoenix is in your hand, when the bird of fire can see again. When the moon sleeps and the sun plays the king of the sky will shine his rays. And hidden beneath a river of colors
      will lie a gate to golden wonders

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I am also a Christian, and I wouldn't mind to see a character and hear its beliefs, but I also know other people that would probably hate it, and knowing HeR's reputation a lot of parents would be surprised to see HeR put something like that in their games, while others would just shrug it off. But it would be interesting to have a suspect like that.
        ¸·´¨¯¨`÷¸
        `·-·*. .. ..). What if this storm ends
        . . . .¸·´¨¯¨`·,. AND I DON'T SEE YOU?
        ......(. ..*·-·´ as you are now,
        . . . . `¤.,¸_¸,.·´¨¯¨` ever again?
        Colors: Rachel (group1girl)
        Swirl: highlandgal19
        Lyrics: Snow Patrol

Comment

I agree that having a gay character may upset some parents. As a gay teenager, I've experienced homophobia and discomfort firsthand. But going by the 10% rule, since there are about 4 characters in every game we should have had at least nine gay characters by now. It's getting to the point where having all straight characters is unrealistic.
          Growing up confused and feeling like I was alone, the Nancy Drew games were one of the few things that kept me sane. I'm incredibly appreciative for that, but I love the idea that maybe someday someone in my shoes will be able to turn to the Nancy Drew games and see characters just like her (or him). It would be a huge boost. I didn't gay men and women in my day-to-day life being treated as though their differences were not relevant to their worth as a person.
          HeR started making games at a time when everyone thought that there was no place in the market for girl's computer games. They proved the majority wrong and set new limits for others to attempt to reach and overrun. I would love to see HeR break yet another boundary and help the movement forward into equality.
          Last edited by Mr.E; January 25, 2011, 06:08 PM.
          Fight the power.

Comment

The subject is too controversial for an ND game. I understand everyone is different, but putting that in a game is not exactly something HeR would do to keep costumers. I am going to try to put my views without hurting anyone's feelings. For example, younger kids playing the games don't even need flirting between Nancy and other men. That is even only slightly there and the relationship between Nancy and Ned is a must since it is a huge part of the books. Putting a subject like that into the games may raise questions that younger kids honestly shouldn't know about. This goes for both straight and gay relationships. I just feel this is too big of a topic to handle for HeR considering the subject in real life is still not accepted. I don't mean to be rude to anyone, I just can't see this happening. :)
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Peace. Love. Run.
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by missdrew2010 View Post
              The subject is too controversial for an ND game. I understand everyone is different, but putting that in a game is not exactly something HeR would do to keep costumers. I am going to try to put my views without hurting anyone's feelings. For example, younger kids playing the games don't even need flirting between Nancy and other men. That is even only slightly there and the relationship between Nancy and Ned is a must since it is a huge part of the books. Putting a subject like that into the games may raise questions that younger kids honestly shouldn't know about. This goes for both straight and gay relationships. I just feel this is too big of a topic to handle for HeR considering the subject in real life is still not accepted. I don't mean to be rude to anyone, I just can't see this happening. :)
              I don't mean to single you out, missdrew2010, but HER has already included several controversial topics. Have you seen the game discussion boards for Message in Haunted Mansion, Curse of Blackmoor Manor, or The Phantom of Venice? The latter is considerably less controversial, but quite a few people have had issue with Nancy dancing in a tight costume for money - something that isn't exactly kid friendly.

I am one hundred percent behind the idea of a gay, trans or bisexual character. However, I do have some trepidation.

It would be a massively progressive step on HER's part to add in that element, but I am afraid they'd lost a majority of their fans. Loss of fans, means loss of consumers and eventually, loss of money. There are so many threads about controversial material that has already been added in the games. I can't count how many times I've seen, "I can't play this game because of this, that, and some more of this."
              Could you imagine how many more threads like this would posted, if HER had included something like this? And how many games people would miss out on, just because a character would rather kiss someone of the same gender?

For some reason - we need to be inclusive of what people have a choice in [religion], but we don't need to be inclusive of what people don't have a choice over. I would love for this to happen, but I just don't think it will.

-- Ehzi

Comment

Not to be rude, but I agree with missdrew2010 about 89%.
                Like Ezhair Mckee said, the reason isn't because the subject is controversial.
                But this is just something kids don't need to be confronted with in E rated games.
                Nancy Drew characters should be diverse but within a limit.
                "She has read too many books and it has addled her brain." ~Louisa May Alcott

<--Nancy visits China! A petition.

The Dana Girls join Nancy! -->
                Who are they?
                Click to find out!

Comment

I'm glad someone had the guts to bring this up.

I noticed this, too. Though, I don't think it's HeR's fault, it's society's fault. We were brought up to think that there's a limit to who you can love. Because of that, we hardy see gay characters in any form of media, not just HeR games.
                  Maybe when people realize that it's no one business who's gay and who's not, then maybe we can be more diverse. I have a sick feeling that it might never happen. I hate that.
                  Winning means fame and fortune.
                  Losing means certain death.
                  The Hunger Games Have Begun.

Comment

I would love to see something like that in a ND game, but like others, I don't think Her will have a character who is gay. It's a controversial topic, and so I think Her would probably shy away from that, sadly. And I pretty much agree with Ehzair Mkee - Her may lose a lot of fans over a move like that.

Comment

I agree with missdrew2010 and cowgirl01. Like they said, the games are made for young and old alike, and I don't think the kids should be exposed to such a sensitive issue through a computer game. I fully support gay/bisexual/transgendered rights, but I believe it and romance in general (besides Nancy and Ned) should be kept out of Nancy Drew games.
                      Leaves that appear on a fresh spring tree,
                      make my birth different from the other three.
                      when swans drift by on shimmering blue,
                      I'm the one who plays in the summer dew.
                      When autumns call brings out the deer,
                      I'm the one who howls on mornings clear.
                      And when winter comes and birds take flight,
                      look to me to sleep through the long gray night.

Eagerly waiting for ND #31

Comment

I think this would be a great idea, but like the others, I agree that this idea is also inappropriate for young children. HeR Interactive has tried to keep their games all rated E, for everyone, and this would go against that. And not only that, but it could go against certain beliefs.

Comment

It seems to me that introducing one or more openly gay characters would really arouse controversy, and that's something Her Interactive probably doesn't want to do, especially since their customers seem to be more conservative overall.

This makes me think, Her Interactive hasn't really added any Christian characters as far as I can remember. Now, even though none of the characters (that I can remember) say that they're Christian, it still is possible that they are. I think the same thing should be said about gay characters. Just because they don't mention it doesn't mean that they aren't.
                          Last edited by Emy~leah; February 6, 2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I agree with you Emy~leah. It doesn't mean they aren't, in the games it just doesn't say whether they are or not. And I'm throwing a guess out there but I believe it's because gay means happy also. But back to your point, I agree completely with gay and Christians.

-xo, Emily

Comment

As SeniorDetective said it would upset a lot of parents letting their 10 + year old children play the games.

AND what Ehzair Mkee is true, putting something as major as this would create a whole lot of conflict between users on this site and people who buy the games.

I personally have nothing against gays, I mean some just cannot help it. But if they are going to put something like that in the games, thn why not first put somebody in the game that is in a wheelchair, or has an illness, or somebody of a certain religion like an athiest or Jehovah's witness? Why start with gays? there is a lot they have yet to put in the games.... mostly because they don't want to offend anybody. IF they did put gays in a game I do not think I would buy it. My openion of course.

I don't think they would let us have a signature saying "I am gay" on here so why would they put it in a game?
                              Spread the word! On
                              March 5
                              We're going to set a new
                              HER Record
                              click here for more info

The HeR message boards taught me to be a girl who "isn't afraid"
                              and to pursue my dreams! THESE very boards made me the
                              creative girl I am today... thank you Herians! Though I don't have
                              much time for ND these days, I sign in now and again to see
                              what 'fun' is still being had here. -Penny

Comment

Working...
                              X