This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horselove View Post
    Introducing a gay character in a game would be like having a republican/democratic character in there who tells you which candidate to vote for in the next presidential election. Or a Hindu, Muslim, or even a Christian character in there saying that their religion is the one that should be accepted over all.
    Not to pick on you, horselove, but how would a gay character be negatively influential to a younger audience? It would be including a minority in a game, but the purpose would not be to "convert" the younger audience; instead, it would be a way of promoting acceptance. I'm not saying that a character should be campaigning for gay rights, but some simple acknowledgement that not all of the earth's population is heterosexual would be nice. It would be up to the game's viewers to make their own decision on this topic. Also, unlike religion or political affiliation, one's orientation is not a choice but a genetic factor, and one that has been thus far unrepresented despite an abundance of declaratively straight characters.

Hope this wasn't offensive, I do respect your opinion and thank you for your input.
    Fight the power.

Comment

Well, if you think about it, most of the diversity that HeR has included has been noncontroversial, mostly different racial or ethnic backgrounds.

There have been ghosts and people who have believed in fairies, but they usually aren't taken that seriously. (And the other side of the issue has always been represented. Nancy herself is fairly skeptical, and so are most of the other characters in the games.)

Gay issues are controversial, whether you like it or not, and whether it should be or not. There's no getting around it. And (I'm not saying all, or even most gay people are like this) the ones I've met tend to cry "Homophobic!" at even the slightest hint of an argument that some of their lifestyle choices might not be the wisest.

There are plenty of other minorities that haven't ever been mentioned, so I think it's hasty to hint that Gays might be being slighted.

And HeR has always been family-friendly. Controversy is not, any way you look at it. It would not be a wise choice for HeR to include anything about this topic at the present time (or really, anytime in the near future). It doesn't fit with their philosophy.

Also, unlike religion or political affiliation, one's orientation is not a choice but a genetic factor, and one that has been thus far unrepresented despite an abundance of declaratively straight characters.
      That actually has yet to be proven. :|

Most of the characters haven't really shown anything at all, it's just the "natural" assumption that they're straight as that's the way most people are. Especially in Kid's Fiction, which is what ND is.

I don't mean to argue with you or be rude, but someone has to fill the role of Devil's Advocate. It's hardly a proper discussion otherwise.
      Last edited by InspectorAlleyn; February 7, 2011, 01:40 PM.

A U D A C E S .F O R T U N A .I U V A T
      F O R T U N E .FAVORS .T H E .B O L D .
      ©

Comment

I definitley would not buy a game that would include any of those things. I do not believe in any of those at all and would never buy a game that has those things in it. Nancy Drew games are supposed to be focused on mystery and that's all. Issues like those should not be put in ND games as far as I believe. I would never buy another Nancy Drew game ever again if any of these topics were put in them. That is my opinion in this matter.
        From Secrets can Kill to Ghost of Thorton Hall-Nancy's solved them all!

Snoop, Solve, Live
        ~~Nancy Drew~~

Comment

I'm just posting here because this thread is being monitored closely because reports are coming in. I want to remind you that it's fine to post your opinion respectfully about something. You do not have to agree with the topic at hand but you need to do it in a way that is not offensive or rude toward any group just because your beliefs are different. If we can't do that, the risk of the thread being closed is very possible.
          ███████████████
          ██████████████
          ███████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████████
          █████████████
          ███████████
          ███████████████
          ██████████
          ███████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████Rules
          Courtesy of Royal Paynes Sig Shop

PROUD Mom of a magna cAm laude college grad!! AND a Game Design & Development college grad!!

Comment

Originally posted by dancer13 View Post
            I definitley would not buy a game that would include any of those things. I do not believe in any of those at all and would never buy a game that has those things in it. Nancy Drew games are supposed to be focused on mystery and that's all. Issues like those should not be put in ND games as far as I believe. I would never buy another Nancy Drew game ever again if any of these topics were put in them. That is my opinion in this matter.
            This is also my opinion on this matter.
            Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

I, personally, don't think it matters. Technically, HER didn't expose the gender preferences of most of the characters, so how do we know that some of them haven't be gay, bi, transgendered, etc.? Henry Bolet was a bit feminine, and Emily from Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake was slightly masculine. I am not opposed to HER having an "out" character, but I'm also not head-over-heels for turning ND games in a Gay vs. Straight debate. I love HER's diversity, and look forward to seeing how they progress in the future.

Your idea is good, though. I appreciate that ND fans are thinking of minorities, and looking for ways to involve them in the games.
              I decoded the Message in a Haunted Mansion.

I found the Treasure in the Royal Tower.

I saw The Final Scene.

I discovered the Secret of the Scarlet Hand.

I met the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.

I uncovered The Secret of Shadow Ranch.

I broke the Curse of Blackmoor Manor.

I played with The White Wolf of Icicle Creek.

I learned the Legend of the Crystal Skull.

I witnessed The Haunting of Castle Malloy.

I followed the Trail of the Twister.

Comment

(I agree with InspectorAlleyn and horselove.)

As the opposite side of your agument Mr.E, I'd like to point out that HeR games are not a show on MSNBC, CNN, FoxNews or CBS, but adaptations to Nancy Drew books. Nancy Drew books are about mysteries that challenge and excite readers of any age [and especially with kids under 14]. I'm a writer, and I will be the first to point out that Nancy Drew has never excelled in the character development side. That isn't what ND is. If someone can't stand flat characters, then Nancy Drew/The Hardy Boys is probably not for them. That is my 2D look at it. *shrugs*
                Last edited by HorseWriter4GOD; February 9, 2011, 04:16 PM.
                Which reminded JOE,
                Nancy needed a new bottle of shampoo now…

But
                what girl doesnt dream of using an Italian shampoo, right?

just make a mystery game... plain and simple

I am not a Belieber, Directioner, Twilighter, Hunger Gameser OR a Collin+Nancyer but that is besides the point.

Comment

I do agree that no group should be discriminated against. However, in the original Nancy Drew books, there was no mention of gays, etc. Thus, I do not believe it belongs in the games. Call me old fashioned, but what are these games really about? Paying tribute to Carolyn Keene.

Also, I personally do not like getting into debates with people about religion and politics. Bringing these aspects into a game would just get awkward.

When I think of ND games, I think of them as being for a younger audience (even though I still like them :P ). Therefore, I do not think any controversial topics need to be introduced to younger kids via ND game. I think it is up to their parents to expose them to such topics. (:
                  Last edited by harry1; February 9, 2011, 07:15 PM.
                  We've got the wind in our sails
                  ……….............…& & the s u m m e r at our b a c k s.
                  ©h1................….........……«We're at the top of the world»
                  …….......…
                  \\ · ¤·´ AND THERE'S NO TURNING BACK

Comment

I guess I'll speak my mind.

My opinion of this is that they should not. First off, I am a Christian, and I am not hating on them, I just do not believe that being gay or bi is a right thing. It is against what the bible teaches. Plus, you will get many many angry parents, and many complaints. I'm pretty sure that HeR wants to keep their reputation clean and as high rated as possible.

On the other hand, it is not fair for that certain group. HeR has done an amazing job of putting in many other beliefs, as in religion, superstitions, etc, but in the original Nancy Drew book series by Carolynn Keene, there is no mention of gays. So, gays should not be in games because they are never mentioned in the books.

xoxo Ana and Mr. Woogles

EDIT: harry1, I agree with you! Haha, I just noticed that you mentioned the ND book series by Carolynn Keene also! :D

Well as they say, Great minds think alike! ;D

EDIT:

Awwright, so I'm just saying this: I do not believe in it, but that does NOT mean that I hate gays. In fact, I know a very nice gay person, but I just do not believe in what he is doing. I don't hate gays! Please understand this. Thankkk youuu :D
                    Last edited by nancydrew1953; February 10, 2011, 06:04 PM.
                    Taking a break. See you all soon!

Comment

I'd like to say that I disagree with a lot of you. I don't really care what the bible says, I am for gay rights. However, my personal opinion doesn't mean that HeR should just put gay people in there and honestly gay people are the same as you and me. Just different beliefs. End of story. I wouldn't care if HeR did or didn't put gay/bi people in. I wouldn't mind if they were there or if they weren't. That is just my opionion, I'm not saying I'm against the bible or anything-- I'd just like to point out my opinion :)

--Cassie

EDIT

Lots of people say gays shouldn't be in there just because they're not in the Nancy Drew books. Well, what the heck. Look at it like this; Frank and Joe Hardy aren't mentioned in Nancy Drew books yet they're in the games. Plus things like cellphones are in the games and they aren't mentioned in the books. So why can't gays?

I also agree with what Mysterygal1253 said! Plus Frosty's girlish scream? He may as well be gay. (not saying anything, just pointing out)
                      Last edited by Eek!; February 10, 2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I'm a christian, and I don't believe that being gay is right. I would not buy that game if they put that in. I agree with you nancydrew1953. Lots of little kids play these games, I think even as young as 7 or six, and lots of parents play these games, and lots of senior citizens, some of them would be upset by that. It would be a very big risk for HeR, I think they market their games to the younger crowd. That's just my opinion.

--Needer Moo
                        Last edited by Needer Moo; February 10, 2011, 06:05 PM.
                        Check out my petition to make a ND game out of mystery book #23 Mystery of the Tolling Bell! Clicky on the smiley!
                        Check out my new game: The least attractive men elimination game! Click on the smiley
                        Team Wembley! Cause what's better than innocent green fraggles?
                        Batman and Robin Batman! dodododododododododo Batman!
                        Star Wars "May the force be with you..."
                        The Chronicles of Narnia "When Aslan shakes his mane..."
                        Nancy Drew

Come visit my signature shop! You might find something you like! Allie's Signature Shop
                        Hey y'all!

Comment

superslueth18 I agree with basically everything you said. I'm a Christian but there are a lot of things that bother me. People say that the Bible says there shouldn't be any bi's or gays but the Bible also says in the Old Testament that if a woman disobeys her husband she shall be stoned to death. I'm not trying to sound offensive but are you seeing my point? We are good people and we shouldn't go around judging others for what they are, that's not how Jesus taught us. I never meant to offend anyone so I'm terribly sorry if I did but I do think that maybe HER should start with other minorities first and then maybe eventually work up to having bi's and gay's in a future reference. At this time period there is just too much arguments over it. Again I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eek! View Post

Lots of people say gays shouldn't be in there just because they're not in the Nancy Drew books. Well, what the heck. Look at it like this; Frank and Joe Hardy aren't mentioned in Nancy Drew books yet they're in the games. Plus things like cellphones are in the games and they aren't mentioned in the books. So why can't gays?
                            No offense, Eek!, but really, I don't think it's just because they're not mentioned in the books for HER not putting gay character(s) in ND games. I would think it would be because they aim their games towards younger children and it's up to the children's parents to teach them about gays, not an ND game.
                            "She has read too many books and it has addled her brain." ~Louisa May Alcott

<--Nancy visits China! A petition.

The Dana Girls join Nancy! -->
                            Who are they?
                            Click to find out!

Comment

No one here can make the decision to include OR exclude these things in a future game. That's all this board is here for so that people can post what they would like to see in a future game. That has been accomplished. This is not a place to debate issues outside of that (what the bible says, what religion you are, what your personal preferences are, what is right for all people, what is wrong for all people, etc., etc., etc.). The reality is, we are all different. We all believe in different things. Reports are received and we have taken action as a result. This is obviously a sensitive subject that has many offended, concerned, or has resulted in hurt feelings on both sides of the issue. I don't see the benefit in allowing this to continue to happen. If it is determined that it is a bad idea to close this, then I am sure that it will be reopened by someone.
                              ███████████████
                              ██████████████
                              ███████████████
                              ███████████████████
                              ██████████████████
                              █████████████
                              ███████████
                              ███████████████
                              ██████████
                              ███████████
                              ███████████████████
                              ██████████████Rules
                              Courtesy of Royal Paynes Sig Shop

PROUD Mom of a magna cAm laude college grad!! AND a Game Design & Development college grad!!

Comment

Working...
                              X