Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mysteries Are Starting to Be All the Same.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysteries Are Starting to Be All the Same.

While I've enjoyed all of the Nancy Drew games, I miss how the earlier Nancy Drew games include crimes like murder, robbery, kidnapping, and death threats. While some of the newer games still include some of those things, I miss how the games used to be ten times scarier with instead of the criminals running away they'd go after Nancy, how they're would be a lot of scary effects (SAW included these but still... nothing beats all the tiny little things Message in the Haunted Mansion had). I like how the games tie things to history and education, and try to include characters from all sorts of different backgrounds (this is going to sound so cheesy, but the beautiful thing about our world really is that we're all different), but I think lately the crimes Nancy has been trying to solve have been kind of lame. Sure, SAW was great, but sabotages and hauntings seem to be all our favorite teenage detective has been tackling lately, not really big crimes like in earlier games. Does anyone feel the same way? Do you guys want to see a more wide range of crimes or similar crimes during the beginning of the series?

I agree, the old games did have better plots. The only problem is the graphics are better in the new ones. They really should go back to plots like the older ones. Because now they're all alike. You're right nothing can beat MHM!

~Izzy
    You speak to me
    ......................and in your words
    I hear a
    ................melody¯

Feel like reading?
    trn, ml 1, ml 2

Comment

I completely agree. The plot-line and the complexity of the whole thing is what it's all about, in my opinion. Improved graphics don't make up up for weak subject matter.
      I would like to see more games like STFD, FIN, and SCK, etc. that deal with more serious and realistic matters than your same old ghost story over and over again.
      (You can check out the petition I made [if you feel so inclined], the link is in my signature; it's in favour of what we are discussing here).
      Last edited by Emy~leah; February 12, 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I agree. However, I love Nancy Drew games and believe HeR is doing a great job. I would like some of the older plots back. Even Nancy's character has changed over time and I have liked her better before. I really loved small history pieces and bits of danger, which the new ones slightly lack. I do think SAW was a huge step back into what we started with, and hopefully it continues! Nice post!
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Peace. Love. Run.
        [/COLOR]

Comment

I agree. I miss worrying that the culprit was going to attack at any given moment and I definitely miss the more mature mysteries. I know HER wants to tone it down to keep it appropriate for younger audiences that may be playing, but I first started playing the games when I was seven and I was fine plots such as murder and I think that as long as there's nothing gory, most seven years would be ok with it. Anyway... enough of my ranting. Nice post :)

Comment

I think it's all the newer stuff, like the texting, the clothes, and having to buy stuff all the time. I like the games like FIN and TRT where you're in one location and you have to solve the mystery all on your own. They don't do games like that anymore!
            Winning means fame and fortune.
            Losing means certain death.
            The Hunger Games Have Begun.

Comment

Personally, I think it's a conglomeration of the fact that the older players are starting to get old and there are newer players that are starting to play at younger and younger ages. I think they also think they need newer stuff like texting and fashion to keep "with the times" or whatever.

(Yes, the following does relate.) One day in my history class (we were studying the Victorian Era), my teacher started to complain. He said that back then kids were considered adults at like ten years old. He also said that the age of adulthood just keeps moving further and further upwards. I think this applies as well - we need "easy" stuff for the "little ones."

I really, really miss old Nancy. The old Nancy would yell at the suspects, spazz out when looking for her friend, go after the original goal and not get sidetracked by a random treasure thingy, you're in one specific location, you have a legit time limit, all the characters have something to hide...

Yup. :P Just my two cents.
              <3 Stori.
              all my heroes are dead and gone
              but down inside of me
              they still live on

Comment

I think I see what you mean. I really liked the Japanese cultural aspects included in SAW, but I do miss the mysteries Nancy used to find herself involved with that had so much to do with historical events; that's really what a lot of the original books were based on, anyway. :)
                -As for more details with clothing and technology in the games, I can't really say I agree. While I like that Nancy is given a phone and other technological tools when she needs them throughout the games, I also like the fact that she doesn't seem caught up in them. Nancy Drew, to me, no matter what era she's living in, is a classy, one-of-a-kind girl, and I think her obsessive involvement in modern-day fashion could take away from that. This is only my opinion, though. Not trying to sound pushy or rude. :P
                Anyway, thanks for the post! :)
                Long time no see, pals.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly!! The new games are awful compared to the old ones. (I still love them all though!!)
                  We've got the wind in our sails
                  ……….............…& & the s u m m e r at our b a c k s.
                  ©h1................….........……«We're at the top of the world»
                  …….......…
                  \\ · ¤·´ AND THERE'S NO TURNING BACK

Comment

I agree, it's something that's missing from the newer games.
                    But even though HER is straying from the original stories and concepts, they are still working really hard to make us great games. If they read our postings, I'm sure they'll make some changes. But I understand how hard it is as the years go by to keep the same taste in the series...please, HER, go back to the first few games that you made. They are seriously the best spots to look for inspiration! I have faith that things will get better!

Comment

I totes agree. Sign me up!

Comment

Yeah, it feels like the games are more...young, if you know what I mean? It's like they're trying to focus more on the graphics and sounds (which are fabulous and I'm not complaining!!) so they let the plot development slip, and the mysterious factor drop. I really enjoyed Phantom of Venice (my favourite), but other than that there's really only certain components of the games I like, instead of the overall game. I think that games with more suspense and sense of mystery would make the games better, like they once were.

Comment

I don't want them to go TOO realistic like making Nancy and official detective again like they did in Phantom of Venice. That game was horrible!!! Yes, it had it's fun sneaky aspects which I loved, but working with the police undercover like that just isn't the Nancy we know and love.

I made a list of my favorite games (Ilike them all, but you know....the BEST) and with the exception of Shadow at the Water's Edge which I LOVED I noticed the rest seem to be the ones where Nancy has very little outside help and usually stays in only one location or nearly one location.

Crystal Skull
                          Message in a Haunted Mansion
                          Blackmoor
                          Deception Island
                          Shadow Ranch
                          Blue Moon Canyon
                          Old Clock

Now granted some of these you do have multiple locations, but I think what it is is that they don't start out as mysteries. Like in Trail of the Twister, Phantom of Venice, and Waverly Academy she sets out to figure out a mystery.

I also think they characters are helping her WAY too much lately plus with the Internet, texting, having to buy things, etc. etc. it just leads you to it way too easily. I don't know, just my two cents.

Comment

I agree with what everyone is saying along with the whole realism thing but there was one game that stood out to me the last train to blue moon canyon...they reason this was so special was becasue it was like a classic mystery story.... there was a group of people and everyone was a key subjecvt... there was no nonsense like some of the more new games.... but i would like to see more classic games along with realistic plots.. but great job everyone
                            Fav Quotes :
                            "Dibs on the potatoes"
                            "Well whoop-de-do, it's Nancy Drew."

"Uh... You got a steady back home?"

"Hi-Five team Hotchkiss!!"
                            "Don't let the turkeys get you down!"
                            "Joy Trent is a party-pooping stick in the mud!"
                            "Well boys and girls can you say insurance fraud?"
                            "Letters are cool and all but they just make words -I mean get with the game letters"
                            "I've fought imaginary elves that were stronger than you!"
                            "Did you get into a fight with a cat or something?"

Nancydrew908__nick falcone
                            funny. brave. loyal. rebellious. theatre. original.
                            sentimental. cute. caring. wanted. the final scene.

Comment

Originally posted by nancydrew908 View Post
                              I agree with what everyone is saying along with the whole realism thing but there was one game that stood out to me the last train to blue moon canyon...they reason this was so special was becasue it was like a classic mystery story.... there was a group of people and everyone was a key subjecvt... there was no nonsense like some of the more new games.... but i would like to see more classic games along with realistic plots.. but great job everyone
                              Great point! For that reason, TRN is one of my favorites, too. :)
                              Long time no see, pals.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Comment

Working...
                              X