Notes about the survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes about the survey

If you have answers that were more in-depth or weren’t covered the way you would have liked to have them covered in the survey HeR Interactive did recently we would love to hear from you here. Admin will be reading this thread to see what else you had to say. Please reference which questions you are commenting on. This is for survey comments only!
    He has showed you, O man, what is good.
    And what does the LORD require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8

And remember to please be respectful of other fans’ opinions. Thank you for taking the survey! We appreciate your time in helping us get to know you better!

Comment

Thank you so much for starting this thread, veja! Here are my thoughts:

What is your favorite type of puzzle found in a Nancy Drew game?

Codes & cyphers
      I chose this option because I love puzzles that feel like detective work. I also enjoy logic puzzles for the same reason, and would have selected that too. But of course, it all depends on the context and how well the puzzles are integrated into the story.

What is your least favorite type of puzzle in a Nancy Drew game?

Ok this question was hard to answer, because I don't actually have a specific category of puzzle that I dislike accross the board. Rather, my biggest pet peeves when it comes to puzzles are:
      • Puzzles that are implausible and don't make sense contextually. Example: The sudoku puzzle on the treasure chest or the monkey cliffs in RAN. I believe that puzzles should fit the story and environment so that they don't feel like random busywork. They also should be somewhat believable. (I can't imagine Nancy climbing a cliff with no equipment while monkeys throw rocks at her, for example)
      • Puzzles that are extremely time consuming. Example: Fox and Geese in ICE, and the giant nonogram in SAW for instance. Don't get me wrong, I do like a good challenge, I just don't like to be taken out of the action for so long that I forget about solving the mystery.
      • Too many puzzles. Again, looking at you RAN. (I felt that TMB, LIE, and SEA suffered from this too, even though I loved SEA) When there's too many puzzles in a row, it overshadows the mystery and starts to feel like you're going through the motions. My biggest pet peeve is when you beat a puzzle, only to find an object for another puzzle.

How would you rate the challenge factor of Nancy Drew games?
      Depends on the game. For me, CUR had the ideal challenge level. Though, I don't mind an "easier" game as long as it has an interesting story and lots of snooping!

For future games, would you like to see an indicator added showing where you are with respect to solving the mystery?

Definitely not. If HeR does add this, I'd strongly prefer they kept it optional. I'd much rather not know how close I am to solving the mystery because I consider that part of the mystery. I love getting lost in the story and being caught off guard by the ending. Whereas I think this feature would give the games more of a casual puzzle game feel where you watch your progress bar fill up as you go from task to task.

What are your favorite Nancy Drew games?

CUR, DDI, TRT
      Strong storylines, good pacing, suspense, and sense of danger, immersive environments, good character development, and puzzles are not the main focus. CUR does have a quite a bit of puzzles, but I like them because they're well integrated into the story & environment, and well spaced out so it doesn't get overwhelming.

What are your least favorite Nancy Drew games?

RAN, MED, TMB
      Confusing and/or lackluster storylines, lack of character development, lack of intrigue and suspense, and too puzzle oriented. RAN was the only one out of these I disliked entirely, though. (I guess you could say I'm RANting a bit. Haha...sorry.)

Have you ever played one of the Nancy Drew games in the Dossier Series?

Yes and enjoyed them both. I'd love it if HeR continued the dossier series along with the adventure series at some point.

Which of the following aspects of our Nancy Drew games are most important to you? (Check all that apply)

In the following order:
      Story/Character Development
      Mystery/Threat of Danger
      Voice Acting
      Art/Visuals
      Music & Sound Effects
      Replay Value

What game play level do you play in Nancy Drew Games?

Depends on the game, but usually Amateur in the first play through and Master in the second.

That's about everything I wanted to address. Again, thank you mods and admins for taking the time to look into this matter and providing this outlet for us to express our thoughts, and thank you HeR for listening to us. I really appreciate it. I know I have some strong feelings about some of these topics, so hopefully I didn't come across harsh.
      I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say!

-Kat
      P.S. I'm going to put a link to this thread in my signature if that's okay!
      Last edited by like2hike123; March 27, 2018, 10:10 PM.
      Rock and roll, dear.

Comment

This was a great idea for a thread, Kat! Here are some extra comments I would like to make on the survey:

10. What's your favorite type of puzzle found in a Nancy Drew game:
        I think I chose "Logic," which I like because it really requires players to think. I also like:
        • Codes & ciphers. Puzzles like these (like in DAN and CAP) make me feel really involved in tracking down answers.
        • Timed puzzles. The taffy sorting in TRN is cool, and I'd like to see something else similar to it in the future.

15. Would you purchase Nancy Drew games if they were only available as a digital download for PC/Mac at HerInteractive.com?
        I chose "Most likely". For the last several years, I've gotten most of my computer games via downloads, except for Nancy Drew games, which I always buy disks for. I prefer the disks because they're large-file games, so it's nice to know that I have a hard copy on hand. If they become download-only, though, I'd probably purchase them.

18. How would you rate the challenge factor of Nancy Drew games?
        Definitely "Depends on the game". Typically, I find that the more puzzles there are, the more difficult the game. Some like SCK2, WAC and ASH are on the easy side. CUR, SAW and SEA are quite challenging. I'd say that DDI, VEN and DED are a few examples of games that are "just right."

19. What are your 3 favorite Nancy Drew games?
        • The Haunted Carousel: This was my first and has always been my favorite. I like that each character has some kind of arc, and the ending to me is exciting. I love the build-up, and it wraps up the game perfectly.
        • Secret of Shadow Ranch: The sense of adventure is wonderful. The story of what's going on at the ranch ties wonderfully with Dirk's story, and I love how much we can explore.
        • Curse of Blackmoor Manor: This game's setting is so immersive!

20. What are your 3 LEAST favorite Nancy Drew games?
        • Secrets Can Kill: I specifically mean Remastered. The original is fairly good given the time period, but Remastered skimped out on the story and characters.
        • Ransom of the Seven Ships: I used to LOVE this game, but now, I get annoyed by the upbeat feel when the plot is so serious. There's also so much running back and forth and puzzle-solving that it feels like I'm doing work instead of playing a game.

I can't remember what the third option I chose was.

22. What other types of video games do you play?
        I selected "Tower Defense" and "Strategy/Time Management." I just wanted to say that the examples they have listed for these two are unbelievably spot-on.

23. How often do you purchase video games in general?
        I think I chose "Once a year." I used to buy games much more frequently just a few years ago, but not many on the market have interested me lately.

30. For future games, would you like to see an indicator added showing where you are with respect to solving the mystery?
        I chose "No", but I think it's cool that HeR is considering this idea. I can see why some people might like it. For me, it would just remind me that I'm playing a game instead of feeling like I'm part of this adventure, so it'd take me out of it. If enough people like this option, maybe HeR could compromise much like the auto-skip conversation feature; make it something that players could enable/disable if they wish to.

33. What game play level do you play in Nancy Drew Games?
        As a kid, junior mode, but since TMB I've been playing on Master.

I can't wait to see others' thoughts, too. Thanks again Kat and veja for this thread!

*Edit: Since I took the survey already and forgot what most of the questions were, I had to open up the survey on another device to see the questions. I think others might have to do the same, too. Is there something that HeR could do to make the questions more accessible in this case?
        Last edited by disneygirl12; March 27, 2018, 10:37 PM.
        .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
        ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
        ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
        ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

One thing that wasnt asked but I wish they did was having an option to skip the puzzles.

For ex, I LOVE Haunted Carousel but I hardly ever play it, cause the game screeches to a halt when I get to Barnacle Blast. That is the most frustrating puzzle, it is completely random and so hard. Even when the paddle eventually gets larger it still almost brings me to tears.

Perhaps, Skipping could be an option (so that for people who dont want to skip, the skip button would be greyed out). Or maybe it can be something like if the game sees you stuck on one puzzle for 20 minutes, or 10 failure attempts, it will let you skip. The whack-a-mole game in DDI did something like this.

Comment

10. What's your favorite type of puzzle found in a Nancy Drew game?
            I picked codes and ciphers, I believe. These kinds of puzzles really make me feel like I'm doing actual detective work. While I enjoy other types of puzzles, this is the kind that makes it feel like a real mystery for me. Also, I know snooping isn't technically a puzzle, but I remember the first 10-ish games where I felt like there were a lot of things that you need to see and find in order to access the next parts of the game, which I really enjoyed.

14. Question #14: In what format do you prefer to purchase your Nancy Drew game from HerInteractive.com?
            I prefer to have a hard copy of the games. Maybe it's the old soul in my since I've played these games for years, but I enjoy being able to physically have them and see them. Also, for some reason, it makes me nervous to have a "digital download" of a game because I just feel like it's going to not work or get lost or something, but that's probably just my own anxiety just because it's not tangible.

15. Would you purchase Nancy Drew games if they were only available as a digital download for PC/Mac at HerInteractive.com?
            I probably would just being a die-hard Nancy Drew fan, but I really hope this doesn't happen. I like being able to hold the game and look at it and all that.

19. What are your 3 favorite Nancy Drew games?
            1. The Final Scene-
              This game gives me great joy. I enjoy all the puzzles, the enviroment, the plot of the mystery, the characters, everything. To me, this is just a classic Nancy Drew mystery and I honestly wouldn't change a thing about it. Especially the ending, it's exciting, fast-paced and you have multiple tasks that you need to complete to finish the game and there are multiple ways you can lose the game.
            2. Treasure in a Royal Tower-
              This is pretty much the same reasoning as The Final Scene, it just seems really classic to me. The environment is very cozy and mystery-filled and honestly pretty creepy at some points. Just love the whole thing once again.
            3. Curse of Blackmoor Manor
              This game is another classic in my opinion. It's scary and fun puzzles and really interesting characters. Amazing!

20. What are your 3 LEAST favorite Nancy Drew games? (Check three titles only)
            I'm honestly really not sure which ones I actually picked, but I can tell you that it was one of the last 11 games. While you can say the newer graphics are amazing and everything, which they are, I've felt for a while that they are lacking the classic mystery. A lot of it feels pretty manufactured at this point, I mean, I obviously still enjoy them, just feels like they are missing some of the elements that I really enjoyed within the first 6 games.

Also, I feel like there were a few questions that referenced purchasing of new games, when your last purchase was, why you haven't purchased, etc. Obviously, there is this whole drama with MID and all that and I understand that they have games other than the original 32, but it just seemed like pretty silly questions when the majority of their fanbase plays the original games and we are being asked why we haven't purchased any more, and obviously for me the answer is pretty simple: there aren't any more to purchase that I don't already have. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but being a fan since SCK was originally released, it's really frustrating to even been asked those questions. Like I said, I understand that there are other games being made, but it just seemed like silly questioning. Oh well, that's just how I feel.

Edit: Oh, and the question about the showing the progress of the game? No. Just no, please.
            Last edited by Nancy Drew; March 29, 2018, 02:35 PM.
            .¸·*¨¯¨*·¸when all is said and done,..
            (……«-·'….……you'll believe God is a woman
            .`·.,¸__¸,.·*¨¯¨*+¸……………………………..…¸+*¨¯¯¨*+¸
            …………¸-».'…))………………………………((……«-¸.'.`·¸
            …………'·.,¸¸,.·´`·.,¸__¸,.+*¨¯¨*+¸…………..'…`·.,¸_¸,.·'.…))
            ……………...……………¸-»..'…))-.,¸_¸,.+*¨¯¯¨*+.,¸__¸,.+´´
            ………………...…………'+.,¸¸,.·´

τ н e · m o η s τ e я - signature shop

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Drew View Post
              Also, I feel like there were a few questions that referenced purchasing of new games, when your last purchase was, why you haven't purchased, etc. Obviously, there is this whole drama with MID and all that and I understand that they have games other than the original 32, but it just seemed like pretty silly questions when the majority of their fanbase plays the original games and we are being asked why we haven't purchased any more, and obviously for me the answer is pretty simple: there aren't any more to purchase that I don't already have. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but being a fan since SCK was originally released, it's really frustrating to even been asked those questions. Like I said, I understand that there are other games being made, but it just seemed like silly questioning. Oh well, that's just how I feel.
              You and me both. I actually laughed out-loud when I got to that question.
              I don't want to go among
              MAD people . . . -Alice
              oooOOOooOOOooOOOooo
              wHoArEyOu?uOyErAoHw

Comment

On the question about my top 3 favorite games, FIN, TRT, and CUR were the winners. They have the BEST atmospheres. While you are limited to one location, there is a lot to explore and these games just feel more realistic. FIN was my first game ever, and the atmosphere and characters all go together phenomenally. It would be great to see that in the games again.

Comment

I had to bail before completing the survey. I did not care to answer most of the questions because they did not reflect my current views of the ND games. My views have changed over time. However, I can use phrases from the survey to express my views here.

Which of the following aspects of our Nancy Drew games are most important to you? (Check all that apply)

Music and Sound Effects:
                  I no longer care about game music and sound effects. I like to multi-task. I prefer to play with the game sound off and my chosen music in the background. This is efficient for me, even if my music is unrelated to game activity. When I do this the dialogue becomes like a closed caption feature. This personal choices might cause me to miss other types of audio clues in the games, and it makes it impossible to complete audio-dependent puzzles. I always have the option of changing the sound.

Characters:
                  I wished for and gave up hope for historically accurate versions of Nancy, her friends, and other familiar characters. Early on,. politically incorrect but historically and phonetically accurate aspects of the earliest ND books were dispensed with by tptb. Apparently, tptb did not know that they dispensed with opportunities for adaptation that might have pleased today's audiences. I sincerely hope that tptb did not blow off opportunities cavalierly or with an intent to alter the ND character and world to suit themselves. Hannah's relative Effie is an early example of missed opportunities. Those of us who read about Effie first hand might have enjoyed her today as a comical person who makes us laugh and for whom we have compassion. Her antics might have delighted us! We might have relished a manners lesson in which Nancy Drew is put in her place for dissing an Effie sort of soul. I would have loved that. (It was never necessary to make Nancy a ditzoid, as she became in one of the later book series. Rather, it was always possible to have her develop compassion and other relational skills.) Thus, an educational opportunity was thrown away and taken from persons who have read all the books and who understood the value of historical accuracy. Someone named Burt has been mentioned as a part of Neddy's life. But where is Emerson? Where are Dave Evans, Emerson, an entire fraternity, and dances with chiffon dresses and tender relations? Where are Nancy's swan dives? Where is the Muskoka River? Where are those adventures where the three couples of Nancy/Neddy, Burt/George, and Dave/Bess team up and pair off to search properties, tackle baddies, and combine dating with sleuthing? Where is a separate series or sub-series of games based upon the On Campus series? Those books gave the characters new romances, lifelike experiences, and a life without Ned, Burt, and Dave? The experiences at Wilder provdided new romances, slice of life experiences, and a life without Ned, Burt, and Dave. If the disparate concepts were separated by series titles, they could be separated by series subtitles within the ND game franchise. Where is the outcry at long-ago editorial decisions by book editors who unnecessarily changed character history? For example, George was so named after a grandfather because her parents were expecting a boy. (She was not named Georgia, and George is not short for a "girl's" name. In this moment in history, the real George Fayne history might appeal to persons who bash gender stereotypes at every opportunity. The ND world could have been relevant at every moment, but at various junctures, tptb changed things and threw away opportunities for learning, gaining additional perspectives, and accepting people for who they are regardless of name or other factors.

That is enough. It spans decades and genres, and it is just the tip of the iceberg of my just my observation and experience based opinion.

Homage to the creative people who produce those fabulous ND-related foods for the contests. I see them in amateur sleuth blog and all I can say is, "what he said."

“It's all about a balancing act between time, temperature and ingredients: That's the art of baking.”

- Peter Reinhart

Comment

I thought it was a nice survey I just wish that I had different options for some of the questions cause I feel like I couldn't answer them honestly.
                    For example one of the questions was something about why I haven't bought a ND game in a while. If I remember correctly there was an "other" option which I did. But I felt like I had to use the "other" options a lot in order to answer honestly. Guess that's kinda what this thread is for though!
                    It was probably over a week ago now that I took this but I think I remember some of my answers
                    Sorry if these aren't in order...

Depends on which game I'm playing. If I'm playing say, The Haunted Carousel or Secrets Can Kill (I've only played the remastered version so I don't honestly know about the original) then they're easy to play and if I really want to I can finish them in the same day. (Which can be kinda boring sometimes) If it's another game like, Shadow at the Waters Edge or Curse of Blackmoor Manor, they're a little more challenging so it takes me a couple days before I finish.

What are your favorite Nancy Drew games?
                    I realized after I took this that I didn't choose CUR! I was so disappointed in myself!
                    But anyway my favorites are GTH,TRN, and CRY

What are your least favorite Nancy Drew games?
                    If I remember correctly I picked CAR, SCK, and MED

What game play level do you play in Nancy Drew Games?
                    I use to only play Junior but now I play a little of both. Mostly Senior although it depends on the game because I refuse to play ICE on master!

What's your favorite type of puzzle found in a Nancy Drew game:
                    I love all of the puzzles. I love slider puzzles but then at the same time I love those just as much as the other puzzles. The ones where you have to learn about things (Like in SEA with learning ship stuff) Those are also really good ones cause you get to learn something new.

What is your least favorite type of puzzle in a Nancy Drew game?
                    Again I love all of them. If I really had to pick it'd be ones like sudoku in SAW and monkey cliffs in RAN.
                    I think liketohike123 had a good comment about puzzles like that.

For future games, would you like to see an indicator added showing where you are with respect to solving the mystery?
                    Oh no, no, no! No way! I feel like I wouldn't be able to get my point across of how much I'd hate that! It would so have to be optional if they ever did that.

I checked off all of them

Would you purchase Nancy Drew games if they were only available as a digital download for PC/Mac at HerInteractive.com?
                    I wouldn't mind having to only purchase from HeR. I just don't like the only being able to download idea. I like having actual disks. It works better for me. Also if something happens to my computer knowing my luck I'd just have to purchase it all over again.

I think that's mostly what I wanted to say about that. I probably did forget a question or two that I wanted to go over but I can't remember.
                    ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
                    (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
                    .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
                    ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
                    ..( ..)
                    c('')('')

Comment

I want to start off with saying thank you for this survey and thanks for putting this thread up!
                      The survey covered quite a few questions but like others have mentioned, I felt as if I didn't get to really answer them fully. Sadly I do not remember all of the questions so I will be using what others have posted before me to help in that regard.

Mini story: My very first game was TRT. I was probably 8 at the time and was playing with my sister. We were at the part where we needed to go outside but had yet to figure out how to make the blizzard stop. The only thing we could work on was the library. In order for me to not spoil anything in this post, we played for days/weeks and then stopped for about a month. When we came back, still stuck.... our mom pointed out something we didn't realize. After that we were able to progress with the game and finish it within 2-3 days if I remember correctly.
                      Now it is quite a few years later and I can complete a new game within 1-2 days with dedication. So my point is that the games are, I believe, still challenging for those who are young. But those of us who are a bit older now do not struggle as much as we used to. The games are just mildly challenging for me specifically. I don't want the games to become impossible for the younger crowd though
                      Tldr: guessing 8/10 challenge for those around age 8; giving a 4/10 challenge for the older crowd with more experience.

No. This would ruin the game play for me because I will be constantly checking it, pulling me out of the story. Having a visual of progress gives the game a definitive end. It will distract from the actual mystery. If this is put into future ND games, please make it optional. The only time that I might use this would be if I am trying to "speed run" through the game.

Would you purchase Nancy Drew games if they were only available as a digital download for PC/Mac at HerInteractive.com?
                      I was a little unsure on what this question was inferring. If you are saying that "There will only be digital copies available and only the Herinteractive shop will have them", then yes I will purchase them. If you are saying "Only digital copies are available at Herinteractive, if you want hard copies then they can be bought at your local store." then I will grab a hard copy over a digital copy. Having something physical gives me a better sense of owning that copy. I've lost access to digital stuff before and I would very much dislike if I lost a ND game due to technical issues or being unable to login to my account to redownload. Granted yes, I have lost a couple of physical copies. But I feel better knowing it was my fault rather than something technical that I have no control over (except for losing password to an account, that would be my fault lol).

Reading what paperstreet and like2hike123 said about puzzles made me think about what they said. RAN has so many puzzles it didn't really feel like a mystery. I enjoyed the game because beaches are cool and we hadn't seen Bess and George yet. But I really believe there were too many puzzles/games for this mystery, even though they were interesting. If in the future a ND game was made where you can skip certain puzzles to progress... there could be a bonus (like an easter egg or an achievement) for those who complete the puzzle without skipping. I do not know how others would feel about this suggestion but I thought I would throw this out here just in case.

This is all for now. Again, thank you for listening to our thoughts and suggestions.
                      Here's to the progress of HeR Interactive games!

~Carrie

………..¸×´¨¯¨`+¸ Commercial: There goes Dwayne's car…
                      ……….(*¨¯`•¸.`¤¸ ………….¸¤´¨¯¨`׸
                      ………..`¤.,¸,.×´…...`×.,¸_¸,.+´………..)
                      …there goes Dwayne's house…¸+´
                      ……………………………………¸¤´…and there goes Dwayne.
                      …………………………………...(_¸,.×´¨¯¨`¤.,¸_¸,.+´¯)…….¸¤´¨¯¨`׸
                      …………Me: Dwayne Powers?………………….¸×´……...`•-·*……)
                      ……………………………………..………………
                      (_¸,.¤´¨¯¨`+.,¸_¸,.+´
                      ©

Let's make HeRstory!
                      3 - 5 - 16
                      ` ∙ . , ¸ _ ¸ .∙*¨¯¨*∙¸¸∙*¨¯¨*∙. ¸ _ ¸ , . ∙ ´
                      *·-·´`·-·*

more info

(¸.-»ɱy aяt яσσɱ•´¯`·.

Comment

Thank you for giving us a place to elaborate!

Question for those going through the surveys: if I filled out the ‘other’ category as a means to give more information, but actually selected another option, can the extra feedback be seen? I said most of what I wanted to say that way.

Did you previously purchase ND games from a retail store and now purchase them from Herinteractive?
                        -yes, but only because I started pre-ordering. I still liked to have the physical copy.

Would you purchase ND games if they were only available as a digital download?
                        -yes, but as a testament to the game, not as being ok with the format.

Have you ever played one of the Nancy Drew games in the Dossier Series?/Types of video games do you play?
                        -yes, and was indifferent. They were fine, but not something I’d buy again. Also, please never make hidden object games a part of Nancy Drew. From what I’ve played, even when the storylines were interesting, it flattened the environment by making the player look for shapes of objects. They become incredibly repetitive and soon I’m just trying to get to the next segment in the story. I’ve tried mobile games that echoed ND and they never seem to work as well. Either they were simple enough to navigate but lacked much of an immersive environment or vice versa. (Which is the main reason I like pc versions)

Which aspects are most important to you?
                        In the survey I clicked all but gameplay/controls, which I would now include. I trust Nancy Drew games to always have perfect music. Better graphics are nice, but I can’t say the graphics of older games detracted from them. Overall though, what is most important to me is a coherent story (and complete characters) that is a reasonable source of the puzzles and actions in the game. I agree with what NDsolver<3 mentioned, I enjoy learning as I go. I can’t say how many random bits of information I’ve picked up over the course of these games. Another part of ND that I hope is not lost in this gap is the quirkiness, the parts that aren’t essential, but that add to the environment and replay value.

If you guys ever add an indicator showing the amount of the story that is completed, please make it optionable. Also, if it were possible to bring back the desk intro as an option, it would definitely be appreciated.

Thank you again!

Comment

Thank you very much for creating this thread! I enjoyed reading other people's opinions of the survey and agree with many of the point raised. I don't remember too much of what I put in the survey, but I'll try my best...

The most important aspect of a game for me is the story line and communication with other characters. If there is more of a plot to the game this draws it out and makes the dialogue more interesting. I also love learning more about the characters, either by talking to them or learning more about them through other tasks. The balance between this and the puzzles is important to me too. If there are far too many puzzles in a game and not enough dialogue, this turns me off. I found this particularly with RAN, where there was so much of running around doing things.

For my 3 favourite games, I picked CRY (except for one puzzle), GTH & DOG.

For my least favourite games, I picked SAW, SPY & MED. I found SAW & SPY way too difficult to finish and I ended up deleting them.

As MID is supposed to be made using Unity, what I would really like to see for the fans is a tutorial of how to use it in the game. There may be some of us on here who have played with it before, but there are others who haven't.

What I also would like to see is a lot more communication from you guys about MID. Yes, it's coming out in Spring 2019, but we need so much more.

Thanks again.
                          "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

Firstly, It's hard to remember all the questions as I took the survey days ago and I can't see the questions or options anymore, but I will try my best...and copy what other people remember.

Favorite Puzzles.
                            I love the Snack shop puzzle in WAC, Raid in CUR, and Scopa in VEN. They are perfectly set within their story. You wouldn't expect them to pop up in other games and they are so much fun!

Least Favorite Puzzles
                            Sudoku, slider puzzles, Fox and geese, the wire frame puzzle from SAW, games of randomness that must be played over and over and over.....(I'm looking at you horse racing game in TRN.) But really any type of puzzle is okay as long as it's in moderation. Having to do sudoku and nonograms repeatedly in SAW got to be so irritating. It took so long and there was always another and another. When a game feels like homework then you've put in too many puzzles.

Challenge Factor
                            The newer games usually balance the challenge well. The older ones are a bit easier but I still replay them. Having the hints available balances tougher elements nicely.

Game Progress Indicator.
                            I don't feel like it's necessary but it wouldn't ruin my game play if it were there. Making it optional would be ideal if you're going to add it.

Favorite Nancy Drew Games
                            Secret at Shadow Ranch. The mystery is perfect. The puzzles fit the story and there is so much to explore. Plus, there's a treasure hunt! Come on who hasn't wanted to go on a treasure hunt?

Warnings at Waverly Academy. I love the setting of this game and the characters are a lot of fun. There's good snoopability here. The puzzles and games are nice, air hockey, scram, snack shop. It could have been twice as long and I still would love it.

The Captive Curse. My favorite spooky game. Helping create Raid is fun. Exploring dungeons. Monster legends. The atmosphere is perfect.

Least Favorite Games
                            Secret of the Scarlet Hand. Meh. There's a lot of waiting in this game and having to go back and set your clock to trigger things and not being able to make certain phone calls from certain locations....most of this is early game trouble that was sorted out later so I can't complain too much. Want a cookie they're from oaxaca!

The White Wolf of Icicle Creek. Unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, the story is actually really engaging. The characters are interesting and the locations are fun to explore. That said, the gameplay design is bad. The ticking time clock on everything, having to stop what you're doing right in the middle of a good snoop to cook. Whose idea was this? The set up of this game is the most irritating in the series. Plus, one of the most difficult puzzles in the whole series is in this game....fox and geese.

The Shattered Medallion. Dreadful. I don't know who is responsible for the main story on this one or who wrote the majority of the dialog here...but it made no sense. The first time I played it I kept feeling as if I must have missed some explanation somewhere because I couldn't follow the story at all. Even on replay, knowing what is supposed to happen it still feels so fragmented, like 50 people with 50 different ideas of the story were writing it in bits rather than having any single cohesive idea. A Nancy Drew game shouldn't leave you feeling dumb and scratching your head. When my cousin played this for the first time by herself she must have called me 15 times for help and mind you we'd played it together so she knew the storyline and still couldn't manage it.

The Dossier Series
                            I like them. Obviously it checks a different box than the adventure series. It's lighter, faster, easier and more casual. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm still disappointed that Ship of Shadows was shelved. I think the way Resorting to Danger was designed, with the multiple ending options, is really cool and should be a staple of the Dossier series if you're ever inclined to bring them back.

Most Important Part of the Games
                            Storyline. See my notes on The Shattered Medallion. Story matters. Controls, graphics and puzzles will only get you so far. Substance over style Nancy.

Junior or Master
                            Junior, because I'm not great at puzzles...I seriously cannot imagine the wire frame puzzle from SAW or fox and geese from ICE on master.....No way.

Digitial Download Purchase
                            Please PLEASE do not ever make them digital download only. If I have to pay an extra few dollars for a physical copy I will. Digital is too easy to lose. I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to save these so I can move them from an old laptop to a new one. I like my disks. I need my disks. I am willing to wrestle you Professor Hotchkiss style to keep my disks!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Don't let the turkeys get ya down!
                            This too shall pass~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X