X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All games crash shortly after starting

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with with an issue I've been having. Every time I go to start a game, the game crashes - no error messages, no freezing, just a flash of black and I'm at my desktop again and the game is completely gone.

This has happened when I tried to play multiple games, with the exception of Lights, Camera Curses. All other games do this. I can get to various stages - CAP allows me to get to the load game screen, for instance, but SAW, ASH and VEN crash before I even get to the main menu screen (Nancy's desk). If I click while the opening music is playing, it crashed instantly.

I'm running Windows 7 and the games have previously worked. I haven't shuffled any files around, I've even re-installed a couple to see if that would help, but it didn't. This happens with both downloaded games and CD games.

Any help would be much appreciated!

For older games, are you following these installation instructions?

http://www.herinteractive.com/cms/fa...tallation-disc
    ²..Rianna
    .¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸…..¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ .If you can hear me now
    (......°.¸_¸.'¸.•°......°.¸_¸.' ……I'm .r e a c h i n g out
    .°•.,¸_¸,.•°…..²¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸……¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ To let you know that
    ……………………'.¸_¸°……°•.¸ '.¸_¸°……) …… You're .not a l o n e
    ©Rianna..…………………²….°•.,¸_¸,.•° Lullaby - Nickelback

Comment

(Hmm, I seem to be having trouble seeing my own replies, or my own replies aren't getting through. Sorry if this shows up double or something - not quite sure what's going on.)

The problems are mainly with the newer games: CAP, SAW and VEN all have the same issue, but HAU and SHA don't. I've tried re-installing VEN the way you linked to, but it didn't change anything. The other games I don't have CDs for, I borrowed them from the library and they play without the CD being in the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis_ephesus View Post
        (Hmm, I seem to be having trouble seeing my own replies, or my own replies aren't getting through. Sorry if this shows up double or something - not quite sure what's going on.)
        When you're a new member or an infrequent poster, random posts will be selected to be previewed by moderators. That is what happened here. Once you have a total of 10 counting posts that will stop happening.

Originally posted by artemis_ephesus View Post
        The problems are mainly with the newer games: CAP, SAW and VEN all have the same issue, but HAU and SHA don't. I've tried re-installing VEN the way you linked to, but it didn't change anything. The other games I don't have CDs for, I borrowed them from the library and they play without the CD being in the drive.
        Does Nancy Drew Central work on your computer?
        ²..Rianna

Comment

When you're a new member or an infrequent poster, random posts will be selected to be previewed by moderators. That is what happened here. Once you have a total of 10 counting posts that will stop happening.
          Ah yes, I saw that the second time I posted. :p Sorry 'bout that.

Nancy Drew Central used to work, but I didn't use it much, I generally just launch the games from the programs menu. I just checked it and it indeed does not work anymore either.

Comment

Okay, have you tried uninstalling ALL of the games?
            ²..Rianna

Comment

I haven't wanted to, because then I would have to find all the library ones again!

Oh hang on... I think I just fixed it on my own. A while ago I was cleaning up my documents folder and setting all my save-game folders to "hidden" in order to make everything neater. It seems that in doing so it automatically set the files to "read only" which of course prevented me from opening them! It seems to work now.

Thank you so much for your help, anyway, Rianna!

Comment

I know it's about 11 years later, but I recently had the same problem with older games (Blackmoor Manor, Message in a Haunted Mansion). I right-clicked on the game, clicked "properties", then went to the "compatibility" tab. From there, I clicked on the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and selected Windows 8. (I'm on a Windows 10.) Also, I checked off "Reduced color mode", selected 8-bit. Finally, I checked off "Run in 640 x 480 resolution".

Then I clicked "apply" at the bottom left. Seems to run smoothly now. Hope this helps!!!

Comment

Sorry I meant Apply at bottom right. Then click ok.

Comment

Working...
                  X