This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Compatability

Hi Everyone, I know Nancy Drew game compatibility must be on a lot of your minds with the release of Windows 10.

Microsoft has indicated that Windows 10 has the same base code as Windows 7 & 8 and therefore all games that work on Windows 7 & 8 should work on Windows 10.

More information to follow as needed.

Stay sleuthy!
    Last edited by KoKo_fan; August 20, 2015, 06:23 AM.
    KoKo*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸. •´ (¸. •´ *Fan

Originally posted by KoKo_fan View Post
    Hi Everyone, I know Nancy Drew game compatibility must be on a lot of your minds with the upcoming release of Windows 10.

Microsoft has indicated that Windows 10 has the same base code as Windows 7 & 8 and therefore all games that work on Windows 7 & 8 should work on Windows 10.

Below is a link from Microsoft on this topic:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-d51a2d7b611c

More information to follow as needed.

Stay sleuthy!
    I have been playing SEA, SPY and MED on Windows 10 Insider Preview and it works fine so shouldn't have any problems on Windows 10 Retail. By the way are we allowed to post outside links now? Just noticed you did, guess rules might be different for Mods just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
      I have been playing SEA, SPY and MED on Windows 10 Insider Preview and it works fine so shouldn't have any problems on Windows 10 Retail. By the way are we allowed to post outside links now? Just noticed you did, guess rules might be different for Mods just wondering.
      That rule hasn't changed, but KoKo_fan is an administrator (a HER employee, not a mod), and the administrators make the rules.
      ¸.•*¨¯¨*ّ¸......catsandbooks
      ((
      ..*•.¸_¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.......... A library is not a luxury
      ......¸.•*.....*•.¸_¸))............... but one of the necessities of life!
      ......*•.¸_¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸...¥.¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.
      .................................H.W. Beecher + ©allas؛•.¸_¸.•؛
      Please follow the rules................................................... ...............Isaiah 40:31
      FAQ and New Member Resources
      [/FONT] Please be sure your signatures follow the Siggie Ruler. ◄ Click here to double check.

Comment

Hi, this was an exception, the no outside links rule is still in effect for everyone.

We made this exception so that the fan base could see and read what Microsoft has provided on games and Windows 10 compatibility.
        KoKo*´¨)
        ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
        (¸. •´ (¸. •´ *Fan

Comment

For any others who are curious about older Nancy Drew classics, I have been able to successfully play both the Secret of the Scarlet Hand and Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake on my Windows 10 set-up. Things are looking positive. I'm glad to see Microsoft didn't interrupt my sleuthing time. I was concerned I may have to get an old laptop running for compatibility purposes. As soon as I get the chance I'll test out the original Secrets Can Kill (1998) and let you guys know how that fares.
          All 32 Cases Closed:
          SCK('98) SCK ('10) STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH SPY MED LIE SEA
          ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒʍy ʍeticulous ℛeviews▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ
          LCC RED ₒₒ▫ᵒ TCC

Case In Progress:
          CAP

Check out a book from:
          -▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫´¯`·×-»[иaиcy ∂яεω's lيbяaяy (ℛeʍastered)]--->

"It's Locked" ~ the most frustrating phrase Nancy Drew could ever say!

Comment

Originally posted by whitewolf93 View Post
            For any others who are curious about older Nancy Drew classics, I have been able to successfully play both the Secret of the Scarlet Hand and Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake on my Windows 10 set-up. Things are looking positive. I'm glad to see Microsoft didn't interrupt my sleuthing time. I was concerned I may have to get an old laptop running for compatibility purposes. As soon as I get the chance I'll test out the original Secrets Can Kill (1998) and let you guys know how that fares.
            I have managed to get all games working on Windows 10, Its really no different in terms of Compatibility to Windows 8/8.1. Everything that works on there should work on Windows 10.

Comment

I have managed to get all games working on Windows 10, Its really no different in terms of Compatibility to Windows 8/8.1. Everything that works on there should work on Windows 10.
              That's great to hear. Was one of my few concerns when switching to Windows 10- whether or not the core kernel was any different. The only difference I've noticed so far when playing the Nancy Drew games is that the old classic titles (1-13, of the ones I have tried) no longer fill my entire screen. They stay in a full-screen "windowed mode" (black bars on the sides). Basically they only go as far as the original reduced resolution from the late 90's/early 2000s. I've been playing around with my graphic card's settings, but have had no luck getting the games to go completely full-screen. Naturally, everyone's set-up will be different depending on their graphic cards, hardware, and more. But, generally it sounds like Windows 10 and Nancy Drew get along just fine
              All 32 Cases Closed:
              SCK('98) SCK ('10) STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH SPY MED LIE SEA
              ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒʍy ʍeticulous ℛeviews▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ
              LCC RED ₒₒ▫ᵒ TCC

Case In Progress:
              CAP

Check out a book from:
              -▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫´¯`·×-»[иaиcy ∂яεω's lيbяaяy (ℛeʍastered)]--->

"It's Locked" ~ the most frustrating phrase Nancy Drew could ever say!

Comment

Originally posted by whitewolf93 View Post
                That's great to hear. Was one of my few concerns when switching to Windows 10- whether or not the core kernel was any different. The only difference I've noticed so far when playing the Nancy Drew games is that the old classic titles (1-13, of the ones I have tried) no longer fill my entire screen. They stay in a full-screen "windowed mode" (black bars on the sides). Basically they only go as far as the original reduced resolution from the late 90's/early 2000s. I've been playing around with my graphic card's settings, but have had no luck getting the games to go completely full-screen. Naturally, everyone's set-up will be different depending on their graphic cards, hardware, and more. But, generally it sounds like Windows 10 and Nancy Drew get along just fine
                Hi whitewolf93

It's a format called letterboxing. You might be able to get rid of the black boxes/bars on the sides or top and bottom by playing around with your screen resolution settings but we cannot guarantee that it will not distort the characters or the text.

Options that might get rid of the letterboxes:
                - playing in Windowed mode (which displays in 1024 x 768)
                - adjusting your screen resolution to 1024 x 768
                - playing on a computer with a larger screen

Hi DPL_93

Would you please share with us your system information? We are curious what kind of setup you have that is allowing you to play STFD and/or the original SCK on your Windows 10 system without issues. If you would like you may share that information here, or if you prefer you may send it to [email protected]. If you can send a DX Diag of your system to [email protected] that would be even better. Please e-mail [email protected] if you need instructions on running a Dx Diag report.

Thanks!
                Last edited by hedgie; December 31, 2015, 02:51 PM.
                KoKo*´¨)
                ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
                (¸. •´ (¸. •´ *Fan

Comment

I got all the games to work. if really needed, go check out my YouTube video at 'Nancy Drew Walkthroughs' or type in "Windows 10 Secrets Can Kill and Stay Tuned for Danger" in the search bar. I'm not trying to self promote in any way possible, I'm just trying to help.

Comment

win 10 compatibility

I have win10 64-bit.
                    I get a message saying the direct x version supplied with the game failed.
                    Game is The Shattered Medallion.

Comment

Originally posted by dbuske13 View Post
                      I have win10 64-bit.
                      I get a message saying the direct x version supplied with the game failed.
                      Game is The Shattered Medallion.
                      Hi dbuske13

Please email [email protected] for assistance resolving this.

Thanks!
                      KoKo*´¨)
                      ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
                      (¸. •´ (¸. •´ *Fan

Comment

I have windows 10, and pretty much none of the older games I've tried have worked at all. TRN won't even install, CLK & DDI installed but won't play due to 'not being able to find the direct x device' and MHM installed but won't play due to something indirect draw problem. All of the newer games (from CAP onwards) work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nancycluedrew View Post
                          I have windows 10, and pretty much none of the older games I've tried have worked at all. TRN won't even install, CLK & DDI installed but won't play due to 'not being able to find the direct x device' and MHM installed but won't play due to something indirect draw problem. All of the newer games (from CAP onwards) work just fine.
                          Hi nancycleudrew

Please email [email protected] for assistance resolving this issue.

Thanks!
                          KoKo*´¨)
                          ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
                          (¸. •´ (¸. •´ *Fan

Comment

Installing on Windows 10

If you want to play games 2-15 without the CD just copy the files on the disk to a file in documents then start installing from the files there and follow the instructions below.1. Insert the game disc into your disc drive. Close any auto-play windows that pop-up.

2. Click on the Desktop tile from your start menu.

3. Click on the folders icon at the bottom left-hand side of your screen.

4. Go to Documents and create a new folder. Name the folder after the game you’re trying to install.

5. On the left hand side click on “Computer”.

6. Right click on your DVD RW drive and choose “Open”.

7. Look for the Setup file (this file will display as Setup Application, Setup.exe, or Setup Launcher Installshield). Double-click this file to start the installation process.

8. Move through the install process until you reach Choose Destination Location. Click the Browse button or Change button.

9. Navigate to the game folder you created by double-clicking in the Directories box. Select C: drive > Users > User name > Documents > the game folder you created. When you have the correct Path, choose OK.

10. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself.”

11. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrose1984 View Post
                              If you want to play games 2-15 without the CD just copy the files on the disk to a file in documents then start installing from the files there and follow the instructions below.1. Insert the game disc into your disc drive. Close any auto-play windows that pop-up.

2. Click on the Desktop tile from your start menu.

3. Click on the folders icon at the bottom left-hand side of your screen.

4. Go to Documents and create a new folder. Name the folder after the game you’re trying to install.

5. On the left hand side click on “Computer”.

6. Right click on your DVD RW drive and choose “Open”.

7. Look for the Setup file (this file will display as Setup Application, Setup.exe, or Setup Launcher Installshield). Double-click this file to start the installation process.

8. Move through the install process until you reach Choose Destination Location. Click the Browse button or Change button.

9. Navigate to the game folder you created by double-clicking in the Directories box. Select C: drive > Users > User name > Documents > the game folder you created. When you have the correct Path, choose OK.

10. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself.”

11. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup.
                              Hi, yep, I already did this for all of the games. None of them will run and have varying errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X