This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail of the Twister won't install

I've been replaying all my ND games recently on my new Windows 10 64-bit MSI Apache Pro laptop and have been able to play them all successfully (except Stay Tuned for Danger) up through Warnings at Waverly Academy, with only a few hiccups. Early on I began making a folder for each game before installing and that solved most of my initial problems. Now I'm trying to install Trail of the Twister and it says, "E:\autorun2.exe The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." I've played this same game previously on another laptop and it worked fine then. I clicked on the Compatibility Troubleshooter and got this message: "The specified path does not contain a valid program. Please select a valid program (ending with .exe or .msi)." I did some maintenance on my computer yesterday and wondered if maybe my DVD drive wasn't working properly, so I tried installing the next game in the series, Shadow at the Water's Edge. It installed with no problems. So, has anyone else had this problem with the autorun.exe file being corrupted or unreadable? And, if so, did you find a solution? (I've sent an email to Tech Support, but that usually takes a couple of days to get an answer, so I thought I'd try here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrose1984 View Post
      If you want to play games 2-15 without the CD just copy the files on the disk to a file in documents then start installing from the files there and follow the instructions below.1. Insert the game disc into your disc drive. Close any auto-play windows that pop-up.

2. Click on the Desktop tile from your start menu.

3. Click on the folders icon at the bottom left-hand side of your screen.

4. Go to Documents and create a new folder. Name the folder after the game you’re trying to install.

5. On the left hand side click on “Computer”.

6. Right click on your DVD RW drive and choose “Open”.

7. Look for the Setup file (this file will display as Setup Application, Setup.exe, or Setup Launcher Installshield). Double-click this file to start the installation process.

8. Move through the install process until you reach Choose Destination Location. Click the Browse button or Change button.

9. Navigate to the game folder you created by double-clicking in the Directories box. Select C: drive > Users > User name > Documents > the game folder you created. When you have the correct Path, choose OK.

10. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself.”

11. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup.

This worked!! Thank you so much! I recently got a new pc with the Windows10 upgrade and panicked when none of my games would work. I'm only half way through my youtube series of Shadow Ranch and it would've been terrible to leave it unfinished Thanks again!

Comment

The 11-step method works!

With this method, I installed and played through MHM. Huzzah! A million thanks for this tip! :)

I used this method to install TRN and SHA. Those games have an issue during dialogue early in the game. Nancy is using her cell phone, and the dialogue stops. The cursor does not leave the dialogue box, and it does not cause dialogue to appear in the box/continue as verbal conversation among characters. The game stalls. I can back out of each game, but the games ares not automatically saved. Even when I begin again from saved games and try to avoid the given conversations, the game stalls. The conversations are embedded and not optional, as some of Nancy's questions are.

In TRN, the conversation stalls several lines after Bess tells Nancy that George's highlights are 'Adobe Beige' and Nancy says, "Nice try, Bess'. In SHA, Nancy is talking to Bet Rawleys. In the background, Ed has insisted that he would not just get up and walk out of the hospital if Bet were not there to keep an eye on him. This conversation is meant to happen before Nancy talks to Shorty for the first time.

Any ideas? Tia! :)
        Last edited by Solver; November 19th, 2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this exception.

Comment

So, I didn't see this posted regarding Windows 10 and DirectX errors. This page (https://www.herinteractive.com/2014/...r-d3dx9-error/) shows a link to DirectX provided by technical support. What they don't bother to explain on the page is that it isn't a DirectX download but that it is a link to download Microsoft's legacy DirectX files so that you can keep your existing version of DirectX in Windows 10 but also have the legacy files to make the old games work. In addition to installing it, I also used did the following steps: right-click on the desktop link for the game, choose Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, check Run as Administrator and choose Run the Program in Compatibility Mode for: Windows XP (SP3) or a later version, depending on when the game was released. It solved my DirectX error and I can now play Captive Curse; hopefully it will help someone else.

Comment

Working...
            X