Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIS horrible lagging - help please!

Hello all,

As a long-time Nancy fan I was horribly disappointed when I was finally able to download/install the PC version from HER's website and saw how it looked. Even the menu had lagging - the grass movement was stuttered. The intro scene alone (the letter) showed super poor graphics, and the words were way off the subtitles. Then in the first playable scene there continued to be a significant delay with voice/subtitles/movement. Things that should have happened smoothly did not - like opening the window was very stuttered. With these lags, the game doesn't feel playable. We tried messing with some of the settings. Turning down graphics and resolution one click seemed to help a little with the look of the game (though still not impressive). But the lagging persists and is our biggest problem, everything feels so delayed.

I could use recommendations of what settings to use to make the game more playable, or if playing the game on a Mac or on a platform like steam would give us better results.

Our computer stats:
    Operating system - Windows7 64 bit
    Processor - Inter core i3-2120 CPU @3.30 GHz
    Memory - 6gb (5.7 gb usable)
    Graphics - Intel HD Graphs, approx total memory 1696 MB, current display mode 1920x1080 (32bit) (59Hz)
    Direct x - version 11
    Hard disc drive - 11.8 GB free of 911 GB (we can free up more space if needed)

The mac we have for an alternate choice has:
    Operating system - Mojave 10.14.6
    Processor - 1.6Ghz intel core i5
    Memory - 8gb
    Graphics - Intel UHD graphics 617 1536 MB
    Hard disc drive: 23.94 GB available

Thank you for anyone who's able to give us advice!!

I notice that with your PC, your video card does not meet the system requirements for MID, which is 2 GB of video memory. Having said that, you may still be able to run the game if you go into Advanced Settings and lower your screen resolution some more. Try that first. If there is an improvement, then try turning some of the other settings to off, such as textures, antialiasing, shadows, etc. You will need to experiment with those and see what works for you. Otherwise, the fact that your system does not quite meet the video memory requirements for this game may make it impossible for the game to run adequately enough to play the game.

It won't make any difference whether you run the game via Steam, HeR, or from a physical CD; it's all about your computer and not what method you use to run the game.
    Last edited by Tedbear2; December 28, 2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your response! Does this mean we should purchase a graphics card for our computer? Is that a good investment for someone who isn't a so-called "gamer"?

Also, would the graphics card issue be affecting the drastic difference between when the subtitles show up and when we hear the words, as well as the huge gaps in conversation? (or is that just the game)
      Last edited by MacDetective8; December 29, 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the difference between subtitles and the voice/animations is lag. AKA your computer is struggling to generate the graphics in time with the audio.

To be honest, unless you do video work, editing, etc. or play video games, investing in a graphics card or gaming computer is probably not worth it.

The issues here is the graphics chip I would suspect. Since it has too little of its own memory it will "borrow" from your systems main memory (the 6gb of 5.7 gb usable you posted). AKA less free memory to work with + a weak graphics chip = bad combination. Intel HD graphics are not ideal unfortunately. Your processor is probably fine given the speed.

The best bet it to make sure your settings are at the lowest possible and lower the resolution. 1080p is what your computer is set at so unfortuantely lowering your resolution to something lower will make it blurry but hopefully speed things up.

Happy to help if you have more questions as well

For more info see my post here:

Originally posted by thecluecrew View Post
        Hi everyone!

As a long time fan of the games (and as a someone who is a bit of a tech nerd) I decided to post a non-comprehensive summary on getting MID to run at its best. This includes a quick FAQs on what the different requirements mean and finally why certain setting improve performance. Note: I will be speaking generally here- it is true that game developers can "optimize" games to run better. I cannot speak to MID in regards to optimization as I have nothing to do with the development :)

I am no expert - I have tried my best to make sure this info is accurate and up to date. I cannot guarantee that this is right however. Do not mess with your computer or settings unless you feel comfortable and have the knowledge to do so! :)

Why is MID harder to run than previous games?

So MID is here. Unlike the previous ND games, this one has real-time 3D graphics. The older games (SEA and older) used mostly "pre-rendered" graphics. This meant that HeR made the art and levels ahead of time. Every object and light particle was calculated and generated and then saved. This is partially why:
        - the games had such low system requirements
        - you could get pretty graphics on a computer with no dedicated graphics card
        - the old games are restricted in what they could do

Switching to a full 3d game means that every graphical object you see is being calculated by your own computer on the spot! It's pretty cool in theory but just like any complex math problem, the more your computer needs to "think", the stronger the parts it needs to do it. Lag on a video game is nothing more than a computer struggling to compute some sort of output and in turn, not enough frames being shown on screen. Technically, computer games are really just a series of pictures presented so quickly it seems like a movie. Lag = low number of pictures per second.

As a general note in the games industry: minimum requirements does not equal ideal computer specifications. It (theoretically) just means being able to play the game regardless of how it will look.

Graphics Cards vs Intel HD Graphics
        I think it's important to differentiate between graphics cards. The most common graphics by far on the market are Intel HD graphics (or some variation of Intel graphics). Note: these are not graphics cards. They are a little chip on your computer that does light graphics work. Think, surfing the web, watching videos. Remember: computers are just showing a series of pictures fast enough to appear to be a movie.

Why would game companies seek to make games compatible with Intel HD graphics if they are 1. weak 2. not even technically a graphics card?

In short, because they are VERY common. Most computers on the market have them. My gaming PC has intel hd alongside a dedicated graphics card( literally a physical card whose job it is to calculate graphics equations. That's its only job! that is what makes them able to output these beautiful video game scenes with fancy effects and lighting).

Intel HD is NOT made for gaming. The fact that games support them is simply because of how common they are; not because they are good for gaming.

RAM/Memory

This sort of memory is not the same as storage or a hard drive. You can think of RAM (Random Access Memory) as the short-term memory of your computer. Let's say I am doing chores... I need to take out the trash and also clean the dishes. These are two separate activities. My brain is able to (in the short term) do one while still remembering the other.

RAM does this for computers. Just because you are talking to a character in one part of a level does not mean that the objects behind you have disappeared (otherwise you would have to load every object of every level over and over again! talk about slow!) This is what RAM does. it temporarily stores this data. It is also what allows you to have a billion tabs open while you surf the web and listen to music!

__________________________________________________ _____

What does this mean for playing MID or other games?

If MID is lagging there are a few things to try.

0. Try the basic "low setting" - this aims to turn off some of the extra effects like Shadows, Edge Smoothing, and Texture Quality.

If you want to go into a bit more detail....

1. Lower the resolution.
        - Why does this help? Resolutions tell you how many pixels or squares are being generated by your computer. 1920x1080 (commonly referred to as 1080p) literally means there are 1920 pixels generated from left to right on screen and 1080 generated vertically top to bottom. Recall that computers must do really fancy math to generate every single pixel that is on screen. Higher number of pixels = harder work = more powerful computer required. Of course, lowering resolutions makes things blurier. Why? There is literally less data on screen. Just like looking at older camera pictures, there is less info per inch so things appear jagged.

Go to Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Resolution.
        Try a lower number. For example: if I lower from 1080p to 720p (1280x720) I will be putting less stress on my computer. In general, 720p or higher is considered high definition.

Oh and the number in parenthesis next to the resolutions in the menu (16:9) or (4:3) refer to the aspect ratio. In short, think of 16:9 as how modern flat screens are... they are longer than they are tall (they are rectangles!). 4:3 is closer to a square. If you are playing on a TV and pick 4:3 you might get some funky stretching!

2. Lower Texture Quality
        - Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Texture Quality
        Set to Low or Medium.
        Similar to the above, higher quality textures require more fancy math for your graphics card/chip. Lower settings = less work.

3. Turn off Anti-Aliasing (AA)
        Pixels are commonly little squares. This means that when you are looking at something round for example, a tree, on screen, it is actually made of little squares all lined up and colored to look green. However, these pixels are not round and thus the tree can look jagged at its border. AA does some fancy calculations to help smooth out the graphics. This is hard to do without a solid graphics card and processor though. Turn it off to improve performance.
        Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Anti-Aliasing
        Turn off (or set it to one of the weaker AA modes so it requires less calculations).

Theoretically you can pick and choose which settings to lower to improve performance based on what you prefer your game to look like. If you do not care about shadows than turn them off to increase performance. Unfortunately, the things that make games look the best tend to be the ones that improve performance if turned down: lowering the resolution, lowering AA, and lowering textures tend to the be the best way.

I hope this helped! Again I am no expert but I figured some people would want a breakdown. I will probably expand on this as time goes on as there is more to talk about.

Best of luck exploring MID or the other ND games! :)

The Silent Spy

a review

Comment

Working...
        X